Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

30-06 AI Load Data

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LateForDinner
    Member
    • Jan 2015
    • 146

    30-06 AI Load Data

    Hi,
    I am looking for starting load data for an old rifle of my dads, its chambered in 30-06 Ackley Improved. I've loaded for it 30 some odd years ago but can't find any of my notes. I'm using H4895 and 150gr Hornady 3037 bullet. This is a 22" barrel. I have manuals that list powder charges and bullet types but no over all lengths. I can find some overall lengths but none with my specific needs. Just planning to plink, not hunt.

    Thanks,
    Bill
    NRA Member, CRPA Member, NRA Members' Council, NRA Range Safety Officer
  • #2
    CCrawford
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Apr 2010
    • 502

    The 20th printing (1994 reprint of 1964 data) of P.O. Ackley's Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders on page 428 shows loads of 52 grains at 2960 fps and 54 grains at 3035 fps. Hornady's 2nd edition (1973) on page 229 shows from 46.6 grains at 2600 fps to 53.9 grains at 3000 fps. Speer's 8th edition (1970) on page 253 lists from 48.0 grains at 2792 to 52.0 grains at 2961 fps. I believe when they speak of 4895, it is of the IMR version, not the Hodgdon version. Start low and go slow and work up to what your happy with.

    I would seat the bullet in the crimp to start with and experiment from there for overall length. Brass should be 2.494" length and overall is 3.340", same as standard .30-'06. Since the rifle was most likely rechambered, no telling the freebore and/or throat length. There is lots of information out there that talks about seating depth and such.

    Nosler's 7th edition (2012) covers the A.I. (page 702), but does not include 4895 (lists H414, RL15, VV N150, RL 19, IMR 4350, and W760). But it is "current" data as opposed to 50 year old plus.

    Good luck and have fun with Dad's old rifle!

    Criss

    Comment

    • #3
      Bumslie
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Oct 2011
      • 5358

      You'll need to measure your gun.

      Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      NRA Life Member
      WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, and common sense. Some overly sensitive "men" will be offended.
      Originally posted by ivanimal
      I love you! (some Homo)
      Originally posted by ivanimal
      I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
      Originally posted by Kestryll
      OP you are an uninformed tool.
      Go Broncos!
      Go Kings Go!

      Comment

      • #4
        LateForDinner
        Member
        • Jan 2015
        • 146

        [QUOTE=Bumslie;22883568]You'll need to measure your gun.

        Thanks for your reply. What kind of measurements are you talking about?
        NRA Member, CRPA Member, NRA Members' Council, NRA Range Safety Officer

        Comment

        • #5
          Divernhunter
          Calguns Addict
          • May 2010
          • 8753

          Since you asked about bullet seating depth I would guess the amount of bullet jump to the rifling. But that is just a guess and what I would do.
          A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
          NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
          SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

          Comment

          • #6
            LateForDinner
            Member
            • Jan 2015
            • 146

            NRA Member, CRPA Member, NRA Members' Council, NRA Range Safety Officer

            Comment

            • #7
              MongooseV8
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2010
              • 4426

              Make sure you get a slight crush fit with your shoulders. If you fireform brass with the shoulders set back too far you can stress the brass a lot more than a non AI chamber.

              Comment

              • #8
                LateForDinner
                Member
                • Jan 2015
                • 146

                Interesting you should say that, I bought some cheap PPU ammo and went to the range a few months ago and couldn't close the bolt on half of it, I mean it would not go into full battery. Contacted PPU and sent them cases and of course they said its not their ammo. I've never run into Springfield 06 ammo I couldn't shoot in this rifle. The Hornady cases I have now and testing with are fine. No more PPU for me...
                NRA Member, CRPA Member, NRA Members' Council, NRA Range Safety Officer

                Comment

                • #9
                  MongooseV8
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 4426

                  Cool. You should be able to see a faint shiny ring where the chamber is making contact with the parent case's shoulder. For starting loads in an AI, I like to load around 70-80% of max published data. So if the 30-06 load range was 56-60 grains I would start at 58 or 59 grains, and seat the bullet a little longer than min oal.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    MongooseV8
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 4426

                    I should also clarify that the above applies to fire forming brass. If you are talking about loading formed brass, then I use the parent max load as my starting load.

                    Also be aware that not all 98 actions can take the 60k psi of a modern cartridge, so plan accordingly.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Fjold
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 23067

                      As long as you're not loading hard into the lands, the overall length is the last thing that I'd worry about.

                      To start out:

                      Find the bullet(s) that you want to use, select a powder that will give you your desired velocity with a 95% - 100% fill density, load your starting loads and work your way up.
                      Frank

                      One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




                      Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        LynnJr
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 7958

                        I do mine two ways.
                        First way is with 15 grains of pistol powder and fill the case with Cream Of Wheat.
                        Second way is to seat the bullet as long as you can get it and still close the bolt. This helps in keeping the case against the bolts face so you don't stretch the area just in front of the web.
                        It sounds like your gun us a sporterized military gun so go with the maximum magazine length as your starting point.
                        Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                        Southwest Regional Director
                        Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                        www.unlimitedrange.org
                        Not a commercial business.
                        URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          LateForDinner
                          Member
                          • Jan 2015
                          • 146

                          Thanks everyone for some excellent advice and information!
                          NRA Member, CRPA Member, NRA Members' Council, NRA Range Safety Officer

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            ar15barrels
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 57182

                            Originally posted by bbuhlman
                            Hi,
                            I am looking for starting load data for an old rifle of my dads, its chambered in 30-06 Ackley Improved. I've loaded for it 30 some odd years ago but can't find any of my notes. I'm using H4895 and 150gr Hornady 3037 bullet. This is a 22" barrel. I have manuals that list powder charges and bullet types but no over all lengths. I can find some overall lengths but none with my specific needs. Just planning to plink, not hunt.

                            Thanks,
                            Bill
                            This is NOT load data.
                            This is a Quickload simulation of what specific powder charges would do under a specific set of test conditions...

                            Code:
                            Cartridge          : .30-06 Ack Imp
                            Bullet             : .308, 150, Hornady FMJ-BT 3037
                            Useable Case Capaci: 62.481 grain H2O = 4.057 cm³
                            Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 3.150 inch = 80.01 mm
                            Barrel Length      : 22.0 inch = 558.8 mm
                            Powder             : Hodgdon H4895
                            
                            Predicted data by increasing and decreasing the given charge,
                            incremented in steps of 0.962% of nominal charge.
                            CAUTION: Figures exceed maximum and minimum recommended loads !
                            
                            Step    Fill. Charge   Vel.  Energy   Pmax   Pmuz  Prop.Burnt B_Time
                             %       %    Grains   fps   ft.lbs    psi    psi      %        ms
                            
                            -09.6   82    47.00   2652    2342   41055   9274     96.7    1.220
                            -08.7   82    47.50   2678    2388   42212   9369     97.1    1.203
                            -07.7   83    48.00   2703    2434   43398   9462     97.4    1.188
                            -06.7   84    48.50   2729    2481   44615   9553     97.7    1.173
                            -05.8   85    49.00   2755    2527   45864   9641     97.9    1.157
                            -04.8   86    49.50   2780    2575   47145   9727     98.2    1.142
                            -03.8   87    50.00   2806    2622   48460   9810     98.4    1.128
                            -02.9   88    50.50   2831    2669   49810   9890     98.7    1.113
                            -01.9   89    51.00   2856    2717   51195   9968     98.9    1.099  ! Near Maximum !
                            -01.0   89    51.50   2882    2766   52616  10042     99.1    1.085  ! Near Maximum !
                            +00.0   90    52.00   2907    2814   54075  10114     99.2    1.072  ! Near Maximum !
                            +01.0   91    52.50   2932    2863   55572  10183     99.4    1.059  ! Near Maximum !
                            +01.9   92    53.00   2957    2912   57109  10249     99.5    1.045  ! Near Maximum !
                            +02.9   93    53.50   2982    2961   58687  10312     99.7    1.032  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                            +03.8   94    54.00   3006    3010   60307  10372     99.8    1.020  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                            +04.8   95    54.50   3031    3060   61971  10428     99.8    1.007  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                            
                            Results caused by ± 10% powder lot-to-lot burning rate variation using nominal charge
                            Data for burning rate increased by 10% relative to nominal value:
                            +Ba     90    52.00   3022    3042   63466   9826    100.0    0.999  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                            Data for burning rate decreased by 10% relative to nominal value:
                            -Ba     90    52.00   2746    2512   44820   9958     94.7    1.168
                            If your bullet has a cannelure, let me know what the overall length would be with the case seated so the cannelure is at the case mouth and you can crimp the case into the cannelure and I can re-run the simulation at that overall length.
                            Randall Rausch

                            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              LateForDinner
                              Member
                              • Jan 2015
                              • 146

                              Hi Randall,
                              Thanks very much for running this simulation. The bullet DOES have a cannelure and the COAL is 3.183" with the case crimped into the cannelure. Also, I just measured the barrel and its more like 20 1/2", not 22". Thanks again for helping!

                              -Bill

                              QUOTE=ar15barrels;22890178]This is NOT load data.
                              This is a Quickload simulation of what specific powder charges would do under a specific set of test conditions...

                              Code:
                              Cartridge          : .30-06 Ack Imp
                              Bullet             : .308, 150, Hornady FMJ-BT 3037
                              Useable Case Capaci: 62.481 grain H2O = 4.057 cm³
                              Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 3.150 inch = 80.01 mm
                              Barrel Length      : 22.0 inch = 558.8 mm
                              Powder             : Hodgdon H4895
                              
                              Predicted data by increasing and decreasing the given charge,
                              incremented in steps of 0.962% of nominal charge.
                              CAUTION: Figures exceed maximum and minimum recommended loads !
                              
                              Step    Fill. Charge   Vel.  Energy   Pmax   Pmuz  Prop.Burnt B_Time
                               %       %    Grains   fps   ft.lbs    psi    psi      %        ms
                              
                              -09.6   82    47.00   2652    2342   41055   9274     96.7    1.220
                              -08.7   82    47.50   2678    2388   42212   9369     97.1    1.203
                              -07.7   83    48.00   2703    2434   43398   9462     97.4    1.188
                              -06.7   84    48.50   2729    2481   44615   9553     97.7    1.173
                              -05.8   85    49.00   2755    2527   45864   9641     97.9    1.157
                              -04.8   86    49.50   2780    2575   47145   9727     98.2    1.142
                              -03.8   87    50.00   2806    2622   48460   9810     98.4    1.128
                              -02.9   88    50.50   2831    2669   49810   9890     98.7    1.113
                              -01.9   89    51.00   2856    2717   51195   9968     98.9    1.099  ! Near Maximum !
                              -01.0   89    51.50   2882    2766   52616  10042     99.1    1.085  ! Near Maximum !
                              +00.0   90    52.00   2907    2814   54075  10114     99.2    1.072  ! Near Maximum !
                              +01.0   91    52.50   2932    2863   55572  10183     99.4    1.059  ! Near Maximum !
                              +01.9   92    53.00   2957    2912   57109  10249     99.5    1.045  ! Near Maximum !
                              +02.9   93    53.50   2982    2961   58687  10312     99.7    1.032  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                              +03.8   94    54.00   3006    3010   60307  10372     99.8    1.020  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                              +04.8   95    54.50   3031    3060   61971  10428     99.8    1.007  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                              
                              Results caused by ± 10% powder lot-to-lot burning rate variation using nominal charge
                              Data for burning rate increased by 10% relative to nominal value:
                              +Ba     90    52.00   3022    3042   63466   9826    100.0    0.999  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                              Data for burning rate decreased by 10% relative to nominal value:
                              -Ba     90    52.00   2746    2512   44820   9958     94.7    1.168
                              If your bullet has a cannelure, let me know what the overall length would be with the case seated so the cannelure is at the case mouth and you can crimp the case into the cannelure and I can re-run the simulation at that overall length.[/QUOTE]
                              Last edited by LateForDinner; 04-12-2019, 1:39 PM.
                              NRA Member, CRPA Member, NRA Members' Council, NRA Range Safety Officer

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1