Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Reloading update and questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    hambam105
    Calguns Addict
    • Jan 2013
    • 7083

    Plated bullets bite, use real jacketed bullets.
    Look into the benefits of using the Lyman "M'' die.
    Your going to need more plastic cases.

    Comment

    • #17
      desertrider
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2007
      • 1465

      Originally posted by ironhorse1
      **** snip ****

      Variations in charge weights is normal especially for Unique powder.

      **** snip ****

      irh

      Originally posted by phdo
      .
      Excellent advice above.

      I just ran a bunch of ladders using Unique as I've never used this powder before because I have heard how hard it is to meter.




      It's true. I found myself adjusting my powder drop to throw consistently a little on the light side and made up the difference using my trickler 100% of the time to get the charge spot on.

      Even considering rolling some 10mm with Unique to see how it shoots. I use Blue Dot anyway which is also a flake powder and finicky with powder drops.

      Comment

      • #18
        rsrocket1
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2010
        • 2772

        When doing a first set of loads, you should only load up maybe 10 rounds. That way you don't have do disassemble the rest of your bullets if you find out that your load doesn't work well with your gun.

        You'll learn that and remember it when you have to disassemble 50 rounds or worse yet 200 rounds.

        Comment

        • #19
          johnk518
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2018
          • 978

          Originally posted by desertrider
          Excellent advice above.

          I just ran a bunch of ladders using Unique as I've never used this powder before because I have heard how hard it is to meter.




          It's true. I found myself adjusting my powder drop to throw consistently a little on the light side and made up the difference using my trickler 100% of the time to get the charge spot on.

          Even considering rolling some 10mm with Unique to see how it shoots. I use Blue Dot anyway which is also a flake powder and finicky with powder drops.
          Glad to know the consistency is off with Unique, that was something I never considered. What's a good consistent pistol powder? So far I've heard some swear by Unique, Bullseye, and Clays, and some for N.07(?)

          Originally posted by hambam105
          Plated bullets bite, use real jacketed bullets.
          Look into the benefits of using the Lyman "M'' die.
          Your going to need more plastic cases.

          Could you elaborate plated vs. jacketed? I mean I know the difference but not in regards to reloading.


          Regarding my crimp, it appears fine. I'm thinking since my die doesn't bell the end much it isn't as important. But per the calipers they are within spec.

          Comment

          • #20
            ironhorse1
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2012
            • 1005

            Plated bullets are just that,plated. It is a very thin covering of copper and they are ok for 1000 fps plinking loads.

            Jacketed have a jacket or sleeve of copper swaged over a lead core. These will stand up to higher velocity and be more accurate than a plated bullet.

            I used to shoot a lot of 115 jhp's Sierras at 1300 fps in a four inch barreled Smith & Wesson.

            I usually order Zero JHP bullets from Roze Distribution as my premium bullet.

            You don't need an M die to load pistol rounds. The benefit of the M die is in loading cast bullets in rifle rounds. Rifle dies do not bell the mouth at all so oversize bullets will be difficult to seat.

            BTW I don't own or need any M die for rifle or pistol. The bell on pistol cases is adjustable to whichever bullet I need to load.

            irh

            Comment

            • #21
              mike.h
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2011
              • 1612

              I always crimp .45ACP and 9mm.
              USAF 1966-70
              SEA '69-70
              NRA Life Member

              Comment

              • #22
                jimmykan
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2008
                • 3103

                OP, what press are you loading on?

                Comment

                • #23
                  johnk518
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2018
                  • 978

                  Originally posted by jimmykan
                  OP, what press are you loading on?
                  RCBS single stage, the cheapo one I think. Sort of fell into it because of this forum, that was about a 3 weeks ago. Someone was selling dies and this press for really cheap and I jumped on it. I was hoarding ammo (I use the word hoard lightly) so figured I'd spend some money on this instead.

                  Another Calgunner showed me his setup and I can see why you could keep buying presses and dies.

                  Originally posted by ironhorse1
                  Plated bullets are just that,plated. It is a very thin covering of copper and they are ok for 1000 fps plinking loads.

                  Jacketed have a jacket or sleeve of copper swaged over a lead core. These will stand up to higher velocity and be more accurate than a plated bullet.

                  I used to shoot a lot of 115 jhp's Sierras at 1300 fps in a four inch barreled Smith & Wesson.

                  I usually order Zero JHP bullets from Roze Distribution as my premium bullet.

                  You don't need an M die to load pistol rounds. The benefit of the M die is in loading cast bullets in rifle rounds. Rifle dies do not bell the mouth at all so oversize bullets will be difficult to seat.

                  BTW I don't own or need any M die for rifle or pistol. The bell on pistol cases is adjustable to whichever bullet I need to load.

                  irh
                  Thank you!


                  Edit:
                  Oh and the Lyman manual I'm using is the latest 50th one they sell pretty much everywhere. Should I get another book too?

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    hambam105
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 7083



                    Many a experienced reloader does not use or understand the difference between case flare and case expansion when assembling a straight wall cartridge case.

                    I have referenced an excellent yt clip posted by a smarter reloader than I.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      desertrider
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2007
                      • 1465

                      Originally posted by johnk518
                      Glad to know the consistency is off with Unique, that was something I never considered. What's a good consistent pistol powder? So far I've heard some swear by Unique, Bullseye, and Clays, and some for N.07(?)
                      My favorite pistol powder types are either ball or spherical, they flow more evenly through powder measures than flake or extruded powders do.

                      I can't recommend a powder to you because I don't own a 9mm, so I don't have any experience loading it. Remember, not all powders work well for all calibers.

                      My go to powders for the calibers I load are AA#9, HP38, H110, and W231. They flow very consistent and aren't finicky at all. If you find 9mm load data for HP38 or W231 they might be worth a shot for you.


                      Originally posted by hambam105
                      https://youtu.be/pcc91NArteQ

                      Many a experienced reloader does not use or understand the difference between case flare and case expansion when assembling a straight wall cartridge case.

                      I have referenced an excellent yt clip posted by a smarter reloader than I.
                      Interesting. I know that guy as "Hornady Reloader" on youtube. He definitely knows his way around a loading bench.

                      Thanks for the link.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        sofbak
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2010
                        • 2628

                        The poster I was addressing here came back and deleted both his posts.😵

                        So...to avoid anymore confusion-never mind.
                        Last edited by sofbak; 03-22-2019, 7:44 AM.
                        Tire kickers gonna kick,
                        Nose pickers gonna pick
                        I and others know the real

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          sofbak
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2010
                          • 2628

                          Never mind...See post#26 above.
                          Last edited by sofbak; 03-22-2019, 7:46 AM.
                          Tire kickers gonna kick,
                          Nose pickers gonna pick
                          I and others know the real

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            hambam105
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jan 2013
                            • 7083

                            Desertrider
                            You are welcome.

                            Sofbak
                            YouTuber, Fortunecookie, has a clip regarding a FCD and its affect on bullet diameter.

                            Almost all the straight wall pistol Reloaders and all the rifle reloaders I personally know do not seat and crimp in one action.
                            We all used to back in the Jurasic Days, but not anymore. Good luck to you.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              desertrider
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2007
                              • 1465

                              Originally posted by desertrider

                              I just ran a bunch of ladders using Unique as I've never used this powder before because I have heard how hard it is to meter.




                              Originally posted by rsrocket1
                              When doing a first set of loads, you should only load up maybe 10 rounds. That way you don't have do disassemble the rest of your bullets if you find out that your load doesn't work well with your gun.

                              You'll learn that and remember it when you have to disassemble 50 rounds or worse yet 200 rounds.
                              Sorry I didn't respond to your reply earlier.

                              Good advice above. I usually will only load a cylinder or mag load when doing test or ladder loads for the exact reason you cited.

                              In this case, the 38 sp and 44 mag ladders will be used in 4", 6", and carbine at 7yds and 15yds. The 45acp will be in pistol and carbine. By loading 20 I have enough to run all tests in one visit.

                              As an example, the pic below is of a six round batch (cylinder) that I loaded yesterday to compare AA#9, H110, and Blue Dot out of my Red Hawk @ 7 yds. Had I been testing the same for handgun and carbine at different distances I'd have loaded twelve.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Distinct_Editz
                                Member
                                • May 2018
                                • 152

                                My scale only does 0.1gr accuracy. I've found a 0.1gr difference = 10FPS difference in .45 ACP.

                                I lightly (+1/2 turn on a Lee die) taper crimp 9mm and .45 ACP to remove the flare, and improve feeding and extraction reliability.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1