Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Looking for info on the Forster press

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RestrictedColt
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2017
    • 773

    Looking for info on the Forster press

    I'm looking for an open front single stage and like the Forster design. What are the ups & downs to it?
  • #2
    rg1
    Member
    • May 2008
    • 274

    I get less bullet runout than with other presses without tinkering. Dies slide in and out and my lock rings are set and don't require adjustment every time. Auto shellholder works well but require changing the fingers from large to small cases. Requires only an allen wrench and a couple minutes. The through the ram spent primer feature keeps the press cleaner. Don't like the primer seater function at the top of the press even though it will seat primers consistently. You have to tinker with and adjust sliding fingers to grip the case and it's a little tedious. I don't prime with the Co-Ax. My auto shellholder worked a lot smoother when I stoned the plates and shim to remove any burrs or tool marks. Love the press but I still want my regular RCBS presses for other functions such as swaging primer pockets with my RCBS swager combo. I seat in one press and crimp or taper crimp in one of my RCBS presses. Just speeds up the process. Highly recommend the Forster Co-Ax.

    Comment

    • #3
      RestrictedColt
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2017
      • 773

      How does the shell holder compare to a normal one? If a shell got stuck do you know which would have a better grip to pull it back out vs. slipping? And I hear that the effort required for resizing is lower with the Forster because it supposedly has more leverage; what do you think?

      Comment

      • #4
        longrange1
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2015
        • 1032

        the COAX is a great press i dont see myself using anything else after using mine for several years now.

        as far as a stuck case goes both a standard shell holder and the jaws on the COAX will tear the rim off a case if the case is stuck bad enough but it should never go there if the cases are lubed properly...ive had 1 stuck case in about 16yrs it was with hornady one shot...i have not used it since.

        as far as more or less effort to size goes a lot of that depends on the size of the case the lube being used the dies being used and how outta spec the case is...that said i FL size every time but everything ive sized is very easy not a lot required to get it done.

        the COAX presses are kinda hard to find so this may be an option...looks like a nice press with so pretty cool features...

        Comment

        • #5
          hambam105
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2013
          • 7083

          Just buy one.

          Comment

          • #6
            RestrictedColt
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2017
            • 773

            The FA knockoff is appealing. I like the quick change shell holder more than the Forster system and it's considerably cheaper, but the proprietary die blocks and no priming system are turn offs.

            Comment

            • #7
              23's Dad
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2010
              • 502

              Stuck Case

              Originally posted by RestrictedColt
              How does the shell holder compare to a normal one? If a shell got stuck do you know which would have a better grip to pull it back out vs. slipping? And I hear that the effort required for resizing is lower with the Forster because it supposedly has more leverage; what do you think?
              The Co-Ax is really easy to deal with a stuck case. You can open the jaws from underneath using the tapered pin. Then you slide the die out and you can work off the press getting it removed. Freeze it or what have you.

              I am a huge fan of my Co-Ax for everything except speed. It cranks out high quality ammo with many many opportunities to QC at a very slow rate. As with any single stage press it's a lot of steps. I have to handle every round many times.

              Comment

              • #8
                mtenenhaus
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2007
                • 3416

                I started with a different brand, a very inexpensive press, but it never instilled confidence as it would bend just a hint. This Forster press is very solid and smooth to operate.

                I do use the primer loader, it's probably a bit slow as you have to manually place each primer in the cup but it seats the primers very nicely. My friend prefers to use a hand primer. I'm satisfied with this one. It does require the use of a hex key to set the base dimension for whatever caliber you're working with...but it's pretty easy.

                With respect to the shell holder plate. Some mention that it can be problematic, reportedly springs falling out when you have to switch around the jaws for different calibers? Personally i haven't experienced any problem with that. I guess it's more work than just popping in and out a standard Lee type shell holder. I don't really switch around calibers so i don't really suffer this. There is a company called ManzGear that has an improved shell plate holder design that retains the springs but i never ended up getting one. Forster also sells a quick change plate but again, i never bought one.

                Inline Fabrication makes aftermarket side linkages that afford you a little more space to interact with the press. I purchased them because of an article i read somewhere that recommended them, but honestly I've never installed them...just never really felt the need for them. I should find them and try them out but heaven knows where they might be. I even ended up purchasing an offset pull handle because of the same article...it's a fine handle but in retrospect i wonder if i really needed it.

                The collet type bullet puller I use (Hornady lever type) just barely passes through the handle opening. You must turn it just a bit....but again, it's so rare for me to have to use it that i never bothered grinding down the lever as some advocate. I do love that tool by the way.

                I really like how easy it is to set and change out dies.

                I have been very pleased with the press and the quality of reloaded cartridges it allows me to make. I've had the press for a few years now.
                Last edited by mtenenhaus; 02-06-2019, 6:56 PM.

                Comment

                • #9
                  scamp62
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2010
                  • 1009

                  I got mine in the 80's...so you do the math...I have had to replace the spent primer tube ($2.50) totally my fault, and that's it. It is a great press and I think it is the best single stage press out there......as stated above ..just get one !

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Mesa Defense
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 2172

                    Originally posted by hambam105
                    Just buy one.


                    +1....

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      RestrictedColt
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2017
                      • 773

                      I think this is the first time I've seen a thread on a press where nobody argued against it, amazing. I didn't want to spend $350 on a single stage, but I'm getting close. Thank you all, and F you all, for possibly emptying my wallet. Another upside is that it'll somewhat match the Lee and Hornadays I have.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        jkuengineer
                        Member
                        • Jul 2018
                        • 432

                        i have the lee classic turret press which i use for my pistol calibers like 44mag and 50ae it does and awesome job and puts out a lot of ammo in record time if using the indexing rod and auto dispenser. for all my rifle ammo, i use the CoAx and it cant be beat. its expensive and not easy to find but totally worth it. if you use a runout gauge, measure your rifle ammo for runout to see the difference. if your doing long range rifle ammo i recommend getting one for accuracy

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          daboobe
                          Junior Member
                          • Jul 2011
                          • 7

                          I think the CO-AX is the easiest and simplest SS press to use. I love my old B2 Bonanza. However I think run out is more about case necks and the die used for bullet seating. If runout is a problem upgrade the seating die to a Forster or a Redding, heck even Hornady's works better than RCBS or Lee. FYI I do uses a lot of Lee and RCBS dies but just not for seating bullets where accuracy is paramount.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Kwikvette
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2015
                            • 3704

                            Originally posted by RestrictedColt
                            I'm looking for an open front single stage and like the Forster design. What are the ups & downs to it?
                            If you like the design, why not just buy it?

                            It ain't expensive, and it'll be your go to for all single stage needs.

                            I know, I have one.

                            I posted a thread a few years back about getting into reloading and sought the advice of calguns. I'm the kind of guy that'll spend big money without question as long as I'm buying the best. Well, the Forster has been just that and I reload .223/.30-06/.300wm/.308/6.5cm

                            By the way, you'll love the priming setup on it. I've got a nice Sinclair that collects dust just because I love the way the Forster seats primers too.
                            Originally posted by longrange1
                            my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
                            Originally posted by XDJYo
                            Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              MrElectric03
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2010
                              • 1590

                              I do not use the priming system on mine so won't comment much on that. I use a hand primer, I only use the single stage for precision stuff or things I load very seldom so doesn't make sense to get a conversion for my progressives.

                              Good: runout is very low, far better than I was able to achieve on my rockchucker, but to be fair it's 50 years old. The design is nice and easy to swap dies and lockrings do not marr the threads like rcbs and other brand lock rings. The universal shell holder is nice and easy to use. Built in primer catch is nice and keeps everything clean.

                              Cons: I cannot use my Redding grx die for .40/10mm cases due to the shell holder design and also have to switch the universal shellholder to a standard shellholder attachment to be able to use the lee collet neck sizers and FCD. Neither are a big deal to me. I just keep my rockchucker for the grx die and swap the shell holder station for the rare times I use collet dies.
                              Originally posted by ar15barrels
                              So you are throwing out 95% of reality to select the 5% of reality where you are actually right?
                              We must be on calguns...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1