Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

+P Reloading

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Tommy Gun
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 806

    +P Reloading

    I'm about to do my bulk pistol reloading order and wanted to also load some HP rounds (9mm and .45 ACP).

    Pistols:
    Glock 30sf
    Springfield XD9
    Beretta PX4 (Thinking of selling)


    Some Questions:

    Brass or Nickel?

    +P Is about pressure mainly from what I have read. Should I bother with it or is +P best for expansion?

    If +P is worth it, which slow burning pistol powder have you found works best.

    And which Hornady projectiles, Standard HP or their FTX line?

    9mm: 115, 124, 147 gr?
    . 45 ACP: 180, 200, 230 gr?

    I truly appreciate all the info and experience you all bring to the forum, thanks in advance folks.
  • #2
    the86d
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2011
    • 9591

    Why do you want/need constant expansion at the range?
    Shooting paper, it seems like a waste.

    Full house/+P anything creates more wear and tear, and stepping it down a bit lets you reload and shoot more w/less powder purchases...
    I am not saying that Full-house .357 Mag isn't fun, nor that I don't do it, but I don't always go max-loads in 9mm, or .38 spl.

    Reloading SD/HD ammo is not recommended, as the first questions asked by the police tends to be "Was the ammo reload*[, or something else]?"

    I have almost always gone with Plated 124gr FP in 9mm as a rule, unless there was a shortage, or I wanted to try something else out, unless on a GREAT sale.
    I was used to the issued M9, so it seemed like a good idea, but the FP leave a cleaner hole than RN. For Revolvers I like SWC, or WCs, for the nice holes.
    No feeding issues with FP over RN in the M9, or the lady's SR9.
    Last edited by the86d; 01-07-2019, 5:20 AM.

    Comment

    • #3
      maxx03
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2012
      • 1423

      Unless you are shooting into ballistic gel or have a means of recovering your fired bullets, how will you know what the performance of the bullet will be?
      With that being said, I have used Winchester AutoComp with Speer Gold Dots and getting factory velocities in .45 9MM .357 ect.

      Comment

      • #4
        slayer61
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2014
        • 1402

        Tommy Gun,
        I understand your desire to shoot hot pistol loads. I enjoy it myself shooting 357 Sig, 9X25 and 10mm.

        My .02 stay away from nickel cases. I have found they are tougher on my reloading equipment, and are used in SD ammo to prevent corrosion or oxidization of the brass. My ammo isn't used for carry or SD.

        I also found that I like a lighter (90-115 grain) projectile in 357 Sig & 9X25. It makes for a "faster" round.
        When reloading 10mm I have found I like a 180 grain projectile. I have tried them as light as 135 grains & I always come back to 180s.

        I have also found that Longshot is my "GOTO" powder in all 3 cases.

        Shoot safe & always use a chrono & prove it works in YOUR gun
        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
        Paul

        Confirmed Domestic Terrorist & NRA Member


        Bobby Sands

        Comment

        • #5
          MrElectric03
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2010
          • 1590

          I don't worry about +P stuff. I keep factory ammo in my HD/SD guns because I haven't tested any of my reloads yet on ballistic gel or even with a chronograph to compare velocities. I just got a chronograph for Christmas so will be doing some testing on it to compare expansion, then I may make my own.

          If you are only shooting paper then don't worry about +P loads. I don't load my plinking ammo light because i want to be used to the normal recoil but I don't hot rod them either. Be sure before you make a big batch to test your load in each of your guns to check function. For my my MPX was the killer. Rounds would work in everything else but not cycle reliably in the MPX. I use Xtreme 124 gn HP over some HS6 for my go to load.
          Originally posted by ar15barrels
          So you are throwing out 95% of reality to select the 5% of reality where you are actually right?
          We must be on calguns...

          Comment

          • #6
            Tommy Gun
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2011
            • 806

            I wasn't going to buy strictly for +P. I was only going to buy maybe 100 or 200 HPs. It was mainly to replace my Golden Sabres which have been sitting in mags for 6 years. I guess I'll just buy more SD ammo from a store before the deadline.

            And I know the caution of reloading self defense rounds but the argument is disingenuous, you could argue buying self defense rounds has the same intent as "pre meditated" which on its face is stupid.

            Comment

            • #7
              RestrictedColt
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2017
              • 773

              Using hand loads in a SD situation *shouldn't* be any different than using store bought ammo.

              A jury of not your peers will be thinking about your extra hot home made man stopper ammunition while they decide your fate.

              Comment

              • #8
                JagerDog
                I need a LIFE!!
                • May 2011
                • 15648

                Originally posted by RestrictedColt
                Using hand loads in a SD situation *shouldn't* be any different than using store bought ammo.

                A jury of not your peers will be thinking about your extra hot home made man stopper ammunition while they decide your fate.
                And I have yet to see that effectively argued. I say FUD.

                A "good shoot" is a good shoot. A "bad shoot" is a bad shoot. This discounts things like poison/mercury tipped stuff designed to cause damage well after the immediate threat is quelled. But something comparable to what your PD uses.
                Last edited by JagerDog; 01-07-2019, 11:28 PM.
                Palestine is a fake country

                No Mas Hamas



                #Blackolivesmatter

                Comment

                • #9
                  RestrictedColt
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2017
                  • 773

                  Attorneys and respected gun guys have said that factory ammo is a smarter choice. I'm tossed on it, but knowing that the legal system isn't the logic system makes me lean toward the cheap insurance of using mainstream commercial ammo.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1