Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Precision rifle loading, process question (not processing)
Collapse
X
-
Yup. I have one. I currently have the straw method in use. I will say that either the straw or the reducer helps, but doesn't, IMO, make the CM "consistent".https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-Charge...-/192463548196
It works.
You will still throw over 0.3. Just less often.Comment
-
I notice soot on the shoulders of my 6mm BR cases after about 2 -3 firings after annealing. I am, however, running nowhere-near-max charges. The first firing after annealing shows the typical sine wave soot pattern on the neck only.I do have an annealer.
I would not run my brass through it more than every 3 firings.
Even 5 firings would be fine.
If you are using bushing dies, you are just not working the brass enough for it to work harden enough to justify annealing.
I went 12 firings on Winchester brass without ever annealing and the necks never split.
Just my observation.Comment
-
Have you ever performed a single variable test for neck tension vs velocity, or tension vs velocity spread? Can you quantify a level of neck tension needed for a certain level of velocity shift?I do have an annealer.
I would not run my brass through it more than every 3 firings.
Even 5 firings would be fine.
If you are using bushing dies, you are just not working the brass enough for it to work harden enough to justify annealing.
I went 12 firings on Winchester brass without ever annealing and the necks never split.
The primer pockets got loose first.
The neck tension stayed consistent and I know that as I seat with an arbor press.
You can REALLY feel the differences in neck tension when you seat with an arbor press.
(in the same way I can quantify a level of charge weight or case capacity to an amount of velocity shift, no matter how small or large)
Asking for one of our own. Want to know if I can use annealing to affect velocity (through affecting neck tension). And I mean that in a quantitative way, to measure how much benefit I really get.Comment
-
I run 2 RCBS Chargemasters. Speed up my process by cutting half the time down to dispense powder.
On annealing there is some studies done by Litz on this... very interesting.
On a .308 every 2-3 firings is fine. I annealed every 2-3 on my big bore stuff.
Annealing made EZ is what you should be saving for
My wife thinks I only have 3 gunsComment
-
I seat with hand dies and you can definitely tell when the bullet seating tension is higher or lower then normal.Have you ever performed a single variable test for neck tension vs velocity, or tension vs velocity spread? Can you quantify a level of neck tension needed for a certain level of velocity shift?
(in the same way I can quantify a level of charge weight or case capacity to an amount of velocity shift, no matter how small or large)
Asking for one of our own. Want to know if I can use annealing to affect velocity (through affecting neck tension). And I mean that in a quantitative way, to measure how much benefit I really get.
I set those rounds aside for positional shooting and keep the ones that feel most consistent for longrange prone use.
My 1000yd waterline is usually around 3" tall so I am not getting enough velocity variation to warrant the extra work of annealing all the time nor can I even tell a difference on target when I anneal.Randall Rausch
AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,487
Posts: 25,148,281
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,908
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 19215 users online. 117 members and 19098 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment