Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

45-70 Barnes 300 grain TSX

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BillyGoatCrawler
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • 2583

    45-70 Barnes 300 grain TSX

    Pioneering the world's most effective all-copper hunting bullet. For over 30 years, we've been engineering the most advanced hunting bullets, trusted by the world's best hunters and shooters.
    Kunar Prov, A'stan '08-'09, 1-26 INF
  • #2
    Charlie50
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2008
    • 1114

    I do not have a 45-70 but can confirm great projectile. I load these in a SOCOM .458, AR platform. I use 26 gr. LilGun, groups 1.3 inches at 100 yds, 1x4 trijicon. 16in bbl. Awesome bullet, so far two hogs. Dropped immediately No chasing involved Too old to be chasing wounded critters over hill, dale and then drag back.
    'I own the guns I own because I acknowledge mankind's shortcomings instead of pretending like they don't exist. There are evil men in this world and there just may be a time when I need to do the unthinkable to protect me or my family,'
    Joshua Boston

    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato

    Comment

    • #3
      Divernhunter
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2010
      • 8753

      The AA1680 might be easier to get unless you already have the other. It also works very well in the 7.62X39.

      The 250gr bullet would be an excellent choice. Remember Barnes bullets have terminal performance like a lead core bullet 30% heavier. You can push them faster which gives better performance also. However the 300 will work also.
      A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
      NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
      SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

      Comment

      • #4
        elk hunter
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2014
        • 2122

        AA1680 was my goto powder for 7.62X39 a long time ago but never tried it in the 45-70. I bought a couple of boxes of the loaded Barns ammo to use if I ever hunted in Calif. again......well at least what I admit to. I do have some of the Barns bullets that I was going to load for my T/C Encore 45-70 but they wont work in my 95CB, to pointy.

        Comment

        • #5
          Spyder
          CGN Contributor
          • Mar 2008
          • 17273

          I use them in 458 winmag for cheap loads, very accurate...though not as good as the Cutting Edge bullets I also use.

          Comment

          • #6
            Magilla26
            Member
            • Jun 2015
            • 111

            Since the lead ban, this is my go to bullet for the 45-70 in my Marlin 1895SS. I use Starline and Rem. brass, IMR 4198 with a muzzle velocity of 2186 fps, COAL of 2.515" crimped on the top edge of the cannelure using a Lee factory crimp die. 1.5" accuracy at 100 yds. I have taken pigs and deer with this load. A thumper!

            Comment

            • #7
              ruggyh
              Member
              • Mar 2012
              • 203

              second using 4198 with these in 45-70.

              be safe
              Ruggy

              Comment

              • #8
                BillyGoatCrawler
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • 2583

                Thanks for the info guys. I got 1 lb of AA1680 because they had it in stock locally.

                I’ll post up some results once I test a few loadings out since a few of you shoot this slug and might have AA1680.

                Diver, I missed that they even sold a .458 250gr TSX. I’m going to work up towards the higher end of the loading to get it as fast as possible. I know it’s not apples to apples, but I’ve seen some YouTube videos of guys shooting lined up milk jugs and getting them to open enough to lose a few petals. I should have this ready for some pig hunts by early spring.
                Kunar Prov, A'stan '08-'09, 1-26 INF

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1