Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Flatten primer high pressure sign?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • anhzx
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Feb 2015
    • 386

    Flatten primer high pressure sign?

    I ran my test loads today, and it seems like the primers are a little too flatten. They are more flatten than my other loads that shot out of my tikka. I am new to reload and worry that I am approaching high pressure area. However my loads are even lower than the starting load recommended by Hodgdon websites. Am I still safe to test these loads?

    Hodgdon website: starting load for 175 gr = 42 and max @ 45(c), and starting load for 180gr = 41 and max @ 45 (c)

    Here's my load info:
    Varget 39.7, 39.9, 40.1, 40.3 and 40.5 grains (from left to right)
    ELD-X 178 Gr
    CBC 308 Brass
    shot out of Savage FLCP-SR

    Thanks.

    First picture: only 39.7gr shot


    Second picture: 39.7, 39.9, 40.1, 40.3 and 40.5(except last one for comparison)



    Deprimed

    FOR SALE

    M1 Garand, LaRue 14.5 and 16, KR-9 rifles

    USP Expert 45ACP

    LaRue UU 16 in upper
  • #2
    hermosabeach
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2009
    • 19836

    Flat primers are like a rattlesnake shaking its rattle

    You are not going to like was happens next

    Another reminder to wear eye protection while reloading and shooting.



    Friend had some hot 50 bmg HSM Ammo. Primer punctured and the jet cut his bolt face.

    But the 50 is 215-240 grains of powder
    Last edited by hermosabeach; 11-05-2018, 9:29 PM.
    Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

    Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

    Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

    Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
    (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

    Comment

    • #3
      croue
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2013
      • 1255

      Flattened primers are not a reliable sign always. Could be loose primer pockets for example.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      Comment

      • #4
        JagerDog
        I need a LIFE!!
        • May 2011
        • 15681

        Those aren't overly flat. I still see radius around the circumference and there's no extrusion at the firing pin.

        They extract just fine I bet.
        Last edited by JagerDog; 11-05-2018, 9:43 PM.
        Palestine is a fake country

        No Mas Hamas



        #Blackolivesmatter

        Comment

        • #5
          croue
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2013
          • 1255

          Extraction is a better sign for sure.


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

          Comment

          • #6
            anhzx
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Feb 2015
            • 386

            Rounds extraction seemed to be normal. There were no obvious "unusual" hard on lifting the bolt.

            I probably will increase the OAL on the next batch to see if it'll make any different since those loads were slightly compressed.

            Thanks.
            FOR SALE

            M1 Garand, LaRue 14.5 and 16, KR-9 rifles

            USP Expert 45ACP

            LaRue UU 16 in upper

            Comment

            • #7
              anhzx
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Feb 2015
              • 386

              Yep. That's why I got nervous about it.

              These ELD-X, from what I gathered, are little longer than other same grained bullets, so I loose some case volume for the powder. That is the main reason why I started below the recommended starting load.


              Originally posted by hermosabeach
              Flat primers are like a rattlesnake shaking its rattle

              You are not going to like was happens next

              Another reminder to wear eye protection while reloading and shooting.



              Friend had some hot 50 bmg HSM Ammo. Primer punctured and the jet cut his bolt face.

              But the 50 is 215-240 grains of powder
              FOR SALE

              M1 Garand, LaRue 14.5 and 16, KR-9 rifles

              USP Expert 45ACP

              LaRue UU 16 in upper

              Comment

              • #8
                baih777
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Jul 2011
                • 5680

                Originally posted by anhzx
                Yep. That's why I got nervous about it.

                These ELD-X, from what I gathered, are little longer than other same grained bullets, so I loose some case volume for the powder. That is the main reason why I started below the recommended starting load.
                good you have learned to research the bullet before loading.

                keep going higher by .2 increments. you will either blow a primer, get a stuck case, or see heavy extractor marks on the headstamp.

                I start my ladder test.
                blown primer. 2 below blown primer load.
                heavy extractor marks. start .2 below that last load.
                stuck case. start .3 below last load.

                if there is a 99cent store near you. office section pickup a couple of magnifying glasses. one for the bench. one for the range bag.
                Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
                I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
                I'm Back.

                Comment

                • #9
                  baih777
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Jul 2011
                  • 5680

                  Originally posted by anhzx
                  Rounds extraction seemed to be normal. There were no obvious "unusual" hard on lifting the bolt.

                  I probably will increase the OAL on the next batch to see if it'll make any different since those loads were slightly compressed.

                  Thanks.

                  remember the OAL for .308 is 2.80. you go longer and it wont fit the mag.
                  Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
                  I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
                  I'm Back.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    anhzx
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Feb 2015
                    • 386

                    Savage mag is pretty long. My last load 40.5 gr with OAL 2.805 and I still had plenty of space left on the mag. I measured the mag can fit bullet up to 2.9-3 OAL. But last time I tested, my savage chamber maxed out ~ 2.815 OAL. That's when I started to have issue with closing the bolt. Maybe i'll try to the max of 2.810 OAL
                    Thanks.

                    Originally posted by baih777
                    remember the OAL for .308 is 2.80. you go longer and it wont fit the mag.
                    FOR SALE

                    M1 Garand, LaRue 14.5 and 16, KR-9 rifles

                    USP Expert 45ACP

                    LaRue UU 16 in upper

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      anhzx
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Feb 2015
                      • 386

                      Pic of fired cased

                      Here's a picture of all those above fired cases.

                      Are those rings 1/3 the way down from the neck means anything?

                      Thanks.

                      FOR SALE

                      M1 Garand, LaRue 14.5 and 16, KR-9 rifles

                      USP Expert 45ACP

                      LaRue UU 16 in upper

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        smoothy8500
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2009
                        • 3846

                        Originally posted by anhzx
                        Are those rings 1/3 the way down from the neck means anything?
                        Thanks.
                        Those rings are just signs of scoring or ringing from metal chips creating scrapes as the chamber was reamed. Fairly common on mass produced barrels. Not an issue if they are light marks.

                        Sometimes "flat primers" are caused by excessively re-sized brass. The re-sized brass is more than the normal three to four thou shorter than the chamber. This leaves a large "gap" between the bolt face and rear of the case. On firing the primer backs out against the bolt and as the case expands it squishes the primer creating a false "flattened primer".
                        Last edited by smoothy8500; 11-06-2018, 8:29 AM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          maxx03
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2012
                          • 1423

                          Flat primers may also be an indication of excessive headspace, if these cases were shot out of a bolt gun you can neck size and reload the cases to check if the problem still exists. Save one of those cases and compare measurements with a resized case.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            anhzx
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Feb 2015
                            • 386

                            I've started to neck sizing my brass, and this was my last full re-size brass. I'll see if there'll be any different with the next neck size only batch.

                            Thanks

                            Originally posted by smoothy8500
                            Sometimes "flat primers" are caused by excessively re-sized brass. The re-sized brass is more than the normal three to four thou shorter than the chamber. This leaves a large "gap" between the bolt face and rear of the case. On firing the primer backs out against the bolt and as the case expands it squishes the primer creating a false "flattened primer".
                            Originally posted by maxx03
                            Flat primers may also be an indication of excessive headspace, if these cases were shot out of a bolt gun you can neck size and reload the cases to check if the problem still exists. Save one of those cases and compare measurements with a resized case.
                            FOR SALE

                            M1 Garand, LaRue 14.5 and 16, KR-9 rifles

                            USP Expert 45ACP

                            LaRue UU 16 in upper

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              robert101
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 1997

                              Yea, I tend to set my dies away from the Shell retention (shell holder) mechanism. If I load per my die instructions, I would end up under sizing the cases substantially.

                              Excessive head spacing can lead to what might appear to be a sign of overpressure with semi-flattened primers. Remember, not all primer cups are of equal hardness. Reading primers is like reading tea leaves. It is only one part of the overall crime scene. Check to see if your cases are overly expanded at the base.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1