Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Best ammo for Ruger 10/22?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RT13
    Senior Member
    • May 2006
    • 1407

    Best ammo for Ruger 10/22?

    I have a 22lr stock stainless Ruger 10/22 rifle that I bought back in 1998 or 99. I have not shot this rifle since 2001. But from what I can remember, this rifle was very finicky with ammo. I have used the Remington, Velocitor hp and CCI ammo on it and I know it hated either the remington or CCI, just can't remember which. I'm planning on bringing it out in the next few weeks to the range along with my other rifles. Need to buy ammo for it but not sure which to get. Which ammo do you guys find most reliable on your 10/22's. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • #2
    B.D.Dubloon
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 4873

    I have tried Federal, CCI, and Remington Golden and haven't had any issues with them. I thought all 10/22s were good for eating any ammo you put through them. As far as I know CCI is some of the best common 22 ammo out there and you probably won't have a problem with it.

    Comment

    • #3
      damndave
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Oct 2008
      • 10858

      my stock 10/22 likes federal. CCI for some odd reason is inconsistant for me. will try again with my new bull barrel coming next week

      Comment

      • #4
        luchador768
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2009
        • 3224

        My stock 10/22 eats everything, the aftermarket bull only likes stingers.

        Comment

        • #5
          Trakker
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          • Oct 2008
          • 967

          cci mini mags
          FYI, the 22lr goes subsonic at about 80 yards, so expect accuracy to drop beyond that. Other than that, the accuracy of my Green Mountain barrel is phenomenal. Get a Volquartsen trigger kit, and a CST bolt hold open feature and you cannot go wrong...

          Comment

          • #6
            cleanguy46
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2008
            • 1050

            Here's an idea. get a couple 50 round boxes of assorted .22 ammo starting with the cheapest working your way up the food chain to the more expensive. take notes as to which brand ammo is performing well and ones that are not. You may also want to concider getting an aftermarket extractor for that rifle to help improve extractions. Volquartsen exact edge extractor is very good. I have one on my 10/22 and has cleaned up the occasional pesky FTE's. I think the part was like less then $20 and can be found on line at many suppliers catering to the 10/22 crowd. Hope this help out!
            sigpicWango Tango!

            Comment

            • #7
              ar15barrels
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2006
              • 57179

              Originally posted by Trakker
              the 22lr goes subsonic at about 80 yards, so expect accuracy to drop beyond that. Other than that, the accuracy of my Green Mountain barrel is phenomenal. Get a Volquartsen trigger kit, and a CST bolt hold open feature and you cannot go wrong...
              Shoot subsonic ammo so you don't have to deal with the sound barrier.
              You will get nice groups out past 100yds if you don't have wind to deal with.
              Randall Rausch

              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

              Comment

              • #8
                xxdabroxx
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2008
                • 3392

                Originally posted by ar15barrels
                Shoot subsonic ammo so you don't have to deal with the sound barrier.
                You will get nice groups out past 100yds if you don't have wind to deal with.
                thats an interesting idea. I wonder how much drop you would have at 100 yards though. And how well it does on a squirrel?
                sigpic
                NRA EPL Member
                Visit my blogBullets in the Wash

                Comment

                • #9
                  ar15barrels
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 57179

                  Originally posted by xxdabroxx
                  thats an interesting idea. I wonder how much drop you would have at 100 yards though. And how well it does on a squirrel?
                  I dial between 6.75 and 7.5moa for 100yds when I'm shooting 22 matches.

                  Tactical Rimfire 22LR Precision Shooting. New match offers fun, accuracy, affordable ammo. Savage, Anschutz, Marlin and Sako rifles. 6mmBR.com and Accurateshooter.com is best guide for 6mm and 6.5mm Benchrest precision shooting. See 6BR FAQ, Reloading Data, Photos, Video. Event calendar and rifle competition accuracy. Equipment reviews 6mm 243 bullets, gun barrels, powders, primers, gunstocks, ballistics, component sales, tools, gunsmiths. Reloading, marksmanship, gunsmithing, and varminting.
                  Randall Rausch

                  AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                  Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                  Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                  Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                  Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1