Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

why groups move horizontally with powder change?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    calpik
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2015
    • 35

    Originally posted by N21911S
    First thing to check for is consistent cheek pressure. Whatever amount you use must be the same for every shot.
    There is nothing to check. I have an issue and I know that - stock is too low and a little bit too long for me.

    I want to remove buttpad and tape something on top of stock. The only problem with cheekrest is that it's going to interfere with cleaning rod. Not a big issue as I rarely clean the rifle, but anyway removing cheekrest and installing it back will harm "consistency"... ok, ok. i'm just being lazy...

    Comment

    • #62
      calpik
      Junior Member
      • Dec 2015
      • 35

      Originally posted by tonyjr
      calpik
      I know , but like I used to tell people before I retired -
      I did not write the book .
      It you think a dirty primer pocket , flash hole , burnt
      powder inside case or a combination of any don't affect
      pressure , you are right up there with the press makers .
      They think reloaders [ a lot do ] just decap and reload .
      The rest of us waste our time and money by buying things
      to clean the cases [ vibrators , tumblers , sonics , prep
      stations , media , primer pocket reamers / cleaners ]
      To me a dirty case is like using a 2 die set .
      Absolutely agree. If someone wants top performance - everything has to be the same from shot to shot, from load to load. i.e. crystal clear brass, etc

      But as I said: with my equipment I did not see any difference with dirty or clean brass, because my baseline is pretty low: 0.5-1MOA.
      The only drawback of not cleaning - have to clean collet die relatively often or it will bind a case.

      Comment

      • #63
        tonyjr
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2015
        • 1448

        I spray lube the bottle necks before depriming .
        This means 2 or 3 reloading sessions [ between 200 to 600
        cases ] I disassemble and run thru sonic [ the dies ]
        I have plenty of help , so not a big deal .
        life member - CRPA and NRA
        All ways listen - after you can say I new that

        Comment

        • #64
          slamfire1
          Banned
          • Aug 2015
          • 794

          Comment

          • #65
            LynnJr
            Calguns Addict
            • Jan 2013
            • 7958

            Actually Bedding was said in post 16 about a week ago.
            Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
            Southwest Regional Director
            Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
            www.unlimitedrange.org
            Not a commercial business.
            URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

            Comment

            • #66
              ar15barrels
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2006
              • 57182

              Originally posted by calpik
              Noticed a strange thing, with some bullets/powder groups move horizontally more than vertically.

              What's the reason of such behavior? (rifle is not bedded, 223rem, weatherby vanguard)
              Shooter position behind gun.
              Hand position on stock/trigger.
              Trigger control.
              Parallax adjustment.
              Randall Rausch

              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

              Comment

              • #67
                calpik
                Junior Member
                • Dec 2015
                • 35

                alright... some new results:

                I put some glue into the stock and screwed in action.
                Now groups stopped jumping around on a paper, i.e. I still see horizontal movement of the POI with increasing charge weight, but not so much as it was before.

                Now all groups (difference is 1 full grain of powder) are in the same area - 0.25inch away from each other.

                I like that, but I don't like the fact that to get a descent group I need to put more powder (so "good spot" shifted from low charges to high charges). And they became more 0.9-1.2 moa in average. - i'm ok with that, but it was better before, so I want to get it back


                questions time:
                1. action sits supertight in the stock, but to get it there i have to push with a lot of force (or put the screw and tight). After that previous method of bedding job check shows that there is no movement of the barrel.
                Should i remove some epoxy? to let it drop into the stock, instead of pushing it in

                2. i also left some glue under the barrel (in front of recoil lug) - should i remove it?

                3. should I play with action screws before damaging epoxy?
                Last edited by calpik; 03-09-2018, 8:13 PM.

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1