Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Hornady load data.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MA5177
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 1487

    Hornady load data.

  • #2
    OpenSightsOnly
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 1557

    Look it up - http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

    Comment

    • #3
      mshill
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2012
      • 4484

      Originally posted by OpenSightsOnly
      The Hodgdon site doesn't list the Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT.

      From Hornady 9th edition

      H335 20.8gr 2800 fps 21.6gr 2900 fps, 22.4gr 3000 fps, 23.2gr 3100 fps @2.200" oal
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.

      Comment

      • #4
        OpenSightsOnly
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2009
        • 1557

        Originally posted by mshill
        The Hodgdon site doesn't list the Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT.

        From Hornady 9th edition

        H335 20.8gr 2800 fps 21.6gr 2900 fps, 22.4gr 3000 fps, 23.2gr 3100 fps @2.200" oal

        The info from the Hodgdon/IMR website is still useful since a responsible reloader always works up a load.

        Comment

        • #5
          kcstott
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Nov 2011
          • 11796

          Fill it up to the top and cram the bullet in if you're to damn lazy to buy a manual

          Comment

          • #6
            rg1
            Member
            • May 2008
            • 274

            This example is one of the few complaints I have with Hornady. They have used the same exact data for H335 and 55 grain bullets in several of their last editions. In this case and only in this example, Hornady's data is unrealistic. They did this many years ago test and keep using the same data in all their newer manuals. They did this old test using a 26" bolt action rifle and in fact their data is very weak and does not produce the velocity they report. Why they don't retest one of the most popular calibers with the most popular bullet weight with the most popular powder, I don't know. Lazy? Plus the most popular .223 rifle now is AR-15's and they don't even test 55 grain in the AR platform. Rant over.
            In this example, I can only say that you can trust Hodgdon's data for 55 FMJ bullets. You may want to start 10% less than Hodgdon's maximum data and work up. No way 23 grains of H335 and 55 fmj's gets 3200 fps even in a bolt action 26" barrel. Start lower and work up in your rifle.
            Last edited by rg1; 01-26-2018, 9:50 PM.

            Comment

            • #7
              MA5177
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2011
              • 1487

              Originally posted by kcstott
              Fill it up to the top and cram the bullet in if you're to damn lazy to buy a manual
              Thanks... LMAO

              Comment

              • #8
                MA5177
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2011
                • 1487

                All I have at home right now is the Lyman 49th

                Comment

                • #9
                  mjmagee67
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 2771

                  Originally posted by mshill
                  The Hodgdon site doesn't list the Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT.

                  From Hornady 9th edition

                  H335 20.8gr 2800 fps 21.6gr 2900 fps, 22.4gr 3000 fps, 23.2gr 3100 fps @2.200" oal
                  Years ago when I started loading 223 I had several books and did some internet searching to find a good load. I used H335 and 55gr FMJ, solid plinking ammo. I ended up at 25gr H335 w/CCI or Win SRP at cannular seating depth. This gave me 2850 to 2900 fps and shot very well out to 330 yards. I could easily and regularly hit a 8 in steel plate.

                  Then I got the Hornady book and saw their max load of 23.2gr. I was like WOW am I that far over. I rechecked all my references and no 25gr was right in there, with some using over 26grs. For the hell of it I loaded 50 up with Hornady max of 23.2gr. My guns cycled slowly, I could feel they were soft. The chrono gave me something like 2550ish fps.

                  All this goes back to start low work your way up, watch for pressure signs, and spend 100 bucks on a chrono.

                  There have also been times where I stop working up before book max..
                  If you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    scotty99
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 1184

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      MA5177
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • 1487

                      Thanks guys.. all the data I have been reading leads to about a 25 g load.

                      I don’t really have the time to work up loads , I probably will give up on loading.223 as it’s a major PITA and really not worth it for AR plinking ammo

                      All my handgun loads I have worked up and have loads I now like.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        5.56Geo
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2010
                        • 1889

                        I was getting blown out primers and head case separations with 25.0 grains of H335 in .223 reloading. Please let us know how the 25grains work out for you?

                        Happy reloading...
                        Live free or die trying!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Cheep
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2009
                          • 1327

                          For a 55gr bullet in 223, you are really over thinking this.
                          Originally posted by NOMADCHRIS
                          your asking a question about asking a question ??? just ask the damn question!!!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            MrElectric03
                            Senior Member
                            • Jul 2010
                            • 1590

                            You can find a lot of data online, but Hornady forces you to buy their $40 book which I refuse to do. I used to just look for one that was open on the shelves of my local cabelas and snap a few pics with my phone. For bullets like the new ELD-X 212gr I'm loading for my .300wm, there is little data out there. When you load 55gr FMJ in .223 you can base it off of other manufacturers data and be safe by staying in the mid range and work up from there.

                            That said I just bought a bunch of stuff from a reloader who threw in the towel and it came with an older version of the Hornady book. They list the #2267 55gr FMJ-bt w/c with a c.o.l. Of 2.200" w H335 at 20.8 gr at 2800 fps, 21.6 gr at 2900 fps, 22.4 gr at 3000 fps, and max load(use with caution) is 23.2 gr at 3100 fps.
                            Originally posted by ar15barrels
                            So you are throwing out 95% of reality to select the 5% of reality where you are actually right?
                            We must be on calguns...

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              divingin
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2015
                              • 2522

                              Older manuals are often much less conservative with load data. Why? One word: Litigation. Given the way society has become so lawsuit-happy, manufacturers are protecting their butts (and wallets) by only posting data that is *very* unlikely to cause any problems, ever. Not true just in reloading, either (take a look at the side of a ladder if you want to see butt-covering.)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1