Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Disappointed in the Privi bullets

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mj1
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • 3318

    Disappointed in the Privi bullets

    Now that I can't afford OR find sierra SMK's I bought some (K's) of the Privi .308", .310" and 6.5 FMJBT's thinking I would get some cheap trigger time. Well you get what you pay for. I shot two rifles today that always shoot MOA or less in five and ten round strings. I could not keep anything under 2" so I just got PO'ed and burned them up in 5, 10 and 25 round strings so I could go home and sulk.







    ...........MJ..............
    WTS As new M47 Madsen 3006 w/bayonet.
    WTS NIB Mosin 91/59
    I will deliver or ship, details to be arranged with buyer.
    The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are.
  • #2
    FMJBT
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2007
    • 4888

    I think the scope on your Enfield is holding you back. I'll take it off your hands if you decide to upgrade

    Seriously though, I'm kind of surprised about the grouping using the 168's. I havent tried the other Prvi stuff for accuracy, but their loaded rounds of 168 HPBT have always been very accurate for me out of both a Savage 10FP and an AR-10. They normally group at about 1 to 1.5 moa out of those rifles. I have had some issues with their loaded 175gr HPBT 308. My best guess is that the bullets are not balanced well, as the groups really open up past 200 yards. Surprisingly though, they do manage to stay supersonic out to 1000 yards.

    Have you tried any of their 174 grain bullets in 303?
    U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015

    Comment

    • #3
      mj1
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • 3318

      174g Sierra's all go in the same hole most of the time.


      If you weigh the Privi they ar all over the place 144g~156g.

      ..MJ..
      WTS As new M47 Madsen 3006 w/bayonet.
      WTS NIB Mosin 91/59
      I will deliver or ship, details to be arranged with buyer.
      The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are.

      Comment

      • #4
        Darklyte27
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2008
        • 9372

        I got some 175 gr *sniper bullets* from another calguner here to test out, I beleive they are made by prvi but im not sure. They are listed here
        Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply has ammo and reloading supplies for sale at cheap prices. Find out why we're the best deal on the web today!


        I havent shot them yet but they vary in weight from 174-176. not very consistent.. but they will shot im sure..
        2 HANDGUNS STOLEN! 1 RECOVERED READ HERE

        Chickens

        Want to get into Ham Radio? Click here
        http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=202581

        Comment

        • #5
          FMJBT
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2007
          • 4888

          Originally posted by Darklyte27
          I got some 175 gr *sniper bullets* from another calguner here to test out, I beleive they are made by prvi but im not sure. They are listed here
          Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply has ammo and reloading supplies for sale at cheap prices. Find out why we're the best deal on the web today!


          I havent shot them yet but they vary in weight from 174-176. not very consistent.. but they will shot im sure..
          Those look identical to the bullets I've pulled from Prvi 175gr Match ammo. Let us know how they shoot once you get some loaded up.
          U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015

          Comment

          • #6
            mj1
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • 3318

            174~176 is great. How many did you test? 2? 10?

            ..MJ..
            WTS As new M47 Madsen 3006 w/bayonet.
            WTS NIB Mosin 91/59
            I will deliver or ship, details to be arranged with buyer.
            The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are.

            Comment

            • #7
              Army GI
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • 4284

              Have you tried the Hornady FMJ? They're not match bullets but they're really nice for FMJ.
              I purge the wicked. The impious madness must end. I shall be the instrument of Armageddon. It has gotten out of hand...
              WTB: Winchester /Miroki 1895 .30-06; No1. Mk. III SMLE .303 British; M96 Swedish Mauser 6.5x55mm; M39 Finnish Mosin 7.62x54r; S&W 625 .45 ACP; Glock 17.

              Comment

              • #8
                mj1
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • 3318

                I have ordered Hornaday from three places. They take the order then tell me they are out of stock each time. I know people who love the .312" in their Enfield's and Mosin's.
                WTS As new M47 Madsen 3006 w/bayonet.
                WTS NIB Mosin 91/59
                I will deliver or ship, details to be arranged with buyer.
                The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Agustav
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 1172

                  I am using Prvi .311 150 gr FMJ in my PSL and shot the same grouping as you (maybe a little better 2moa 5 shot). Since this is the only bullets I used so far besides Hornady .310 150 gr SP, I thought the result was decent for a semi-auto. Sorry you didn't have good results with them.

                  PS. I will take them off your hand if the price is right!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    FMJBT
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2007
                    • 4888

                    Originally posted by mj1
                    174~176 is great. How many did you test? 2? 10?

                    ..MJ..
                    I agree. Plus or minus 2 grains is pretty good consistency. Try setting them down on a perfectly level surface to see if they tend to roll and settle on a particular side of the bullet. I have a suspicion that a lot of the 175gr bullets from Prvi are not well balanced.
                    U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      mecam
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2007
                      • 4049

                      Originally posted by mj1
                      Now that I can't afford OR find sierra SMK's I bought some (K's) of the Privi .308", .310" and 6.5 FMJBT's thinking I would get some cheap trigger time. Well you get what you pay for. I shot two rifles today that always shoot MOA or less in five and ten round strings. I could not keep anything under 2" so I just got PO'ed and burned them up in 5, 10 and 25 round strings so I could go home and sulk.
                      That's the best you'll get out of them, they are inconsistent. I have about 250rds left of the Privi 175gr match. I get the same results with them on my 26" Rem700. I saved the brass for my Nosler 175s which shoots sub MOA groups with 43.5gr of Varget.
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Darklyte27
                        Calguns Addict
                        • May 2008
                        • 9372

                        hey Mecam, you shoot at usi dont you?
                        Werent we talking about meeting up and shootin? haha
                        2 HANDGUNS STOLEN! 1 RECOVERED READ HERE

                        Chickens

                        Want to get into Ham Radio? Click here
                        http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=202581

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          mecam
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2007
                          • 4049

                          Originally posted by Darklyte27
                          hey Mecam, you shoot at usi dont you?
                          Werent we talking about meeting up and shootin? haha
                          Yep, I shoot there at least once a month. Can't afford every weekend anymore. I usually shoot Saturday mornings and I always run into MrNiceGuy. I try to save my ammo for the Chabot matches. You should shoot the Sunday Tac rifle match, lots of fun.
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Darklyte27
                            Calguns Addict
                            • May 2008
                            • 9372

                            Ill see what I can do. Friends bday this wednesday and im trying to get him to come along to shoot this weekend, either chabot or concord. we will see though.
                            2 HANDGUNS STOLEN! 1 RECOVERED READ HERE

                            Chickens

                            Want to get into Ham Radio? Click here
                            http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=202581

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              odysseus
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Dec 2005
                              • 10407

                              I don't have a link or the copy\paste, but someone on arf.com posted about the Prvi .308 168gr. Match rounds. In an email back and forth with Sierra, it was confirmed by Sierra that Prvi is buying Sierra matchkings from them - so the 168gr Prvi Match seems to be Sierra bullets. People are reporting good results with it. Found that interesting - I ordered a bit and will be shooting some next time I am out throwing .308 around.

                              .
                              "Just leave me alone, I know what to do." - Kimi Raikkonen

                              The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
                              - John Adams

                              http://www.usdebtclock.org/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1