Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Annealing 50 BMG brass

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • oceanwest
    Member
    • Apr 2007
    • 130

    Annealing 50 BMG brass

    I've decided to get back into reloading with the silly new laws, and possibly into 50 DTC while I'm at it. I have a bunch of loaded 50 BMG rounds that I got really cheap and I am thinking of converting them to 50 DTC EDM. Looking at the process the only hang up I can see to this plan is if annealing the brass before fire forming is a good idea. Anyone know if that is a needed step?
  • #2
    mrkubota
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 1372

    if the brass is new or once fired, probably not.
    inspect the interior when pulled down and check for any separation if once fired.
    Otherwise, yes, annealing will make for a better fireform and longer case life.

    Comment

    • #3
      CSACANNONEER
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Dec 2006
      • 44094

      If you are planning on breaking down the rounds and reforming them the cases to DTC, I don't see a reason to anneal. The brass was already annealed and hasn't been fired yet. As far as annealing after sizing and before fireforming, I wouldn't sweat it unless you're anal. Personally, I don't anneal my 50BMG brass and can get 15-20 loadings from it. One of the top, if not the top 50 shooter once told me that he fires his match brass 8 times, anneals and fires it 8 more times before he retires it. Of course, you will need a way to trim the 50BMG brass down first. If you are planning on using something with a collet, you'll need a separate collet for .510DTC.
      NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
      California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
      Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
      Utah CCW Instructor


      Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

      sigpic
      CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

      KM6WLV

      Comment

      • #4
        oceanwest
        Member
        • Apr 2007
        • 130

        Thank you gentlemen, that's just the info I was looking for. They are once fired re-loaded rounds. So I'm thinking I can pull the bullets, trim to 3.78", full length resize in DTC dies, then reload with about 90% of the charge they came with and shoot to fire form them.

        I was thinking of using the Wilson 50 Cal case trimmer with a cordless drill attachment. I guess I would need both the 50 BMG and there after the 50 DTC case holders. Is there a better setup than this that can also trim regular cases?

        Comment

        • #5
          CSACANNONEER
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Dec 2006
          • 44094

          The Wilson holds the case head so, it would do both BMG and DTC without issues. I was talking about collet type trimmers like Trim-It, Gracy, Giraud, etc. You can trim how you want to but, I prefer 3 way cutters so that I don't have to chamfer and debur in separate steps. It's going to depend on what style of trimmer you want. Do you want it to trim using the case head as the datum point? The shoulder as the datum point or the inside of the case head as the datum point? If you want a trimmer on a budget, try a Trim-It with a 3 way cutter (uses the shoulder as the datum point) or, if you want to use the inside of the case head as the datum point, try a K&M trimmer. I'd have to pull mine out but, I think it could be adjusted (very simply) to trim DTC rounds with any modifications. Trimming the 0.100" of of BMG brass is going to take a while with any trimmer. I strongly recommend using a Giraud if you can.

          That said, I have very limited personal experience with DTCs but, I have a several friends who load and shoot them and have helped people process their brass and load them for the first time. Mrkubota probably has more experience with manufacturing and loading DTC for comercial sales than anyone, anywhere in the world, with the possible exception of one other person, Jerry (I'm guessing that they have very similar experience with DTC), who has retired from the commercial reloading business. So, listen to Mrkubota before listening to me or anyone else.
          NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
          California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
          Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
          Utah CCW Instructor


          Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

          sigpic
          CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

          KM6WLV

          Comment

          • #6
            mrkubota
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 1372

            Originally posted by oceanwest
            Thank you gentlemen, that's just the info I was looking for. They are once fired re-loaded rounds. So I'm thinking I can pull the bullets, trim to 3.78", full length resize in DTC dies, then reload with about 90% of the charge they came with and shoot to fire form them.

            I was thinking of using the Wilson 50 Cal case trimmer with a cordless drill attachment. I guess I would need both the 50 BMG and there after the 50 DTC case holders. Is there a better setup than this that can also trim regular cases?
            I first used a Forster 50BMG trimmer with a drill motor adapter.
            It's held in place by the case head, so no other collet or case holder needed. Just a .510 bushing that guides the neck to the cutter head.
            Downside it that you'll also have to chamfer and deburr in separate steps.
            I also used the Gracey electric trimmer, but at the time it only did BMG. I also updated the motor and cutter blade with parts from Giraud to chamfer/debur at the same time.
            Ultimately, I sold the Gracey and now use two of the Giraud electric trimmers. One set up for BMG and the other for DTC.
            I also use Giraud's auto annealing machine.
            If you need a DTC die set, I've got a batch of custom dies in from Lee for the DTC-EDM chamber. (160.00 shipped) They are 1.25"dia dies. CH4D offers an adapter bushing that will allow it to fit the larger 1.5"dia presses. PTB10 1-1/2 -12 x 1-1/4-12 $22.22
            If you need prepped DTC brass ready to fire-form, I can offer that service at 1.00ea unprimed or 1.30ea primed plus shipping.
            Other useful accessories are:
            6" caliper
            scale capable of weighing at least 250gr
            Large powder measure capable of throwing at least 250gr charges.
            RCBS chamfer/deburr tool for removing any primer pocket crimps/stakes
            Dillon sells a primer pocket swaging tool and K&M sells a primer pocket uniformer that can be usefull too.
            The RCBS Ammomaster or Hornady 50BMG presses come with a ram priming stem, but I prefer to use a dedicated Lee Classic Cast press for that task. The Dillon swaging tool can also be set up as a priming tool.
            LED flashlight is usefull for checking the interior of a case for stretching/separations.
            For bulk cleaning, I use a homebrew wet cleaning solution in a mortar mixer, followed by tumbling in corncob in another cement mixer.
            For case lube, I've found Hornady Unique to be inexpensive and very effective.
            Hornady's BMG sizer seems to be the best at sizing brass back down to minimum spec before conversion to DTC.

            //Ben
            06FFL - Custom Ammunition
            Last edited by mrkubota; 01-25-2018, 3:26 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              CSACANNONEER
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Dec 2006
              • 44094

              Originally posted by mrkubota

              If you need a DTC die set, I've got a batch of custom dies in from Lee for the DTC-EDM chamber. (160.00 shipped) They are 1.25"dia dies. CH4D offers an adapter bushing that will allow it to fit the larger 1.5"dia presses.

              //Ben
              06FFL - Custom Ammunition
              GREAT! I didn't know that anyone had any Lee DTC dies currently available.
              NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
              California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
              Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
              Utah CCW Instructor


              Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

              sigpic
              CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

              KM6WLV

              Comment

              • #8
                LynnJr
                Calguns Addict
                • Jan 2013
                • 7958

                I didn't know that either!!!!
                Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                Southwest Regional Director
                Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                www.unlimitedrange.org
                Not a commercial business.
                URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                Comment

                • #9
                  oceanwest
                  Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • 130

                  Thanks Ben, that's great info!

                  I will PM you about getting some prepped DTC brass, it would be nice to have some examples of it done right on hand.
                  Last edited by oceanwest; 01-20-2018, 7:12 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Kingair001
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2015
                    • 2357

                    Originally posted by mrkubota
                    CH4D offers an adapter bushing that will allow it to fit the larger 1.5"dia presses.
                    I called a while ago for an adapter

                    Non in stock at CH4D . . .
                    WTB : Bren Ten - WTB : Wildey 45 & 475 Magnum

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      mrkubota
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 1372

                      Originally posted by Kingair001
                      I called a while ago for an adapter

                      Non in stock at CH4D . . .
                      That's good to know...
                      I emailed them about ordering some and hopefully they'll let me know what the timeline is on making more.
                      Corbin makes them too, but they want alot more money for their version.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        mrkubota
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 1372

                        Just got a call from CH4D.... they're sending me the 4 I ordered, so it would appear they've made more.
                        They call it a Press Top Bushing:
                        PTB10 1-1/2 -12 x 1-1/4-12 $22.22

                        //Ben

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Kingair001
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2015
                          • 2357

                          Originally posted by mrkubota
                          Just got a call from CH4D.... they're sending me the 4 I ordered, so it would appear they've made more.
                          They call it a Press Top Bushing:
                          PTB10 1-1/2 -12 x 1-1/4-12 $22.22

                          //Ben
                          Nice !

                          Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
                          WTB : Bren Ten - WTB : Wildey 45 & 475 Magnum

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            mrkubota
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 1372

                            CH4D 1.5" to 1.25" press top bushing adapter:

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Jedediah Munroe
                              Member
                              • Aug 2011
                              • 397

                              Last edited by Jedediah Munroe; 02-02-2018, 3:50 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1