Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

$15 for 7.62 x 39

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dragonfly22588
    Member
    • Feb 2010
    • 107

    $15 for 7.62 x 39

    I'm looking to shoot and buy around 500 rounds of 7.62 x 39 for my SKS. Big Five has some on sale for $14.99 for a box of 20 American Eagle. Is that a fair price? I need to buy range safe stuff as I plan to take it to Oak Tree in Newhall or some other rifle range in so cal.

    I have heard some negative things about Wolf ammo about it potentially gunking up the rifle. I figure since I won't be shooting it that much I would rather not chance it and pay a premium for a non Wolf brand.

    With these things in consideration am I still looking at a good price. Does anyone know of anywhere close by selling something similar for less? I prefer not to buy them online but what would a decent online price be ?
  • #2
    jpscoot_21
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2007
    • 1186

    Buy from the marketplace here. $15 for a box of 20rds is way overpriced.

    Comment

    • #3
      Devilmonkey89
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2013
      • 1539

      Hell no! Shop online, it floats around .20 cents for steel case ammo. You're better off going to walmart and buying the 40 pack they carry.

      It should be about $5 per box of 20. Well you mentioned OAK TREE, i'm not sure they require non magnetic ammo.
      Last edited by Devilmonkey89; 12-16-2017, 12:42 AM.
      NRA Lifetime Member

      Comment

      • #4
        jpscoot_21
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2007
        • 1186

        Wolf ammo is fine for any SKS. Some people might not like some of the milsurp lacquered ammo because it gunks up the chamber.

        Comment

        • #5
          acoop101
          Member
          • Feb 2009
          • 215

          I think what people are missing is that you are looking for non bimetal jacket ammo, if you can find it the wolf yellow label is copper jacketed and isn't much more expensive that the regular wolf. The other option is s&b and/or PPU both load 7.62*39 for about $0.50 a round. 15/box for American made 7.62x39 is about right but their are better options.

          If you do buy brass cased ammo please pick up your brass, I will be more than happy to pay you for it as once fired brass and that should help reduce your per round price.

          Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

          Comment

          • #6
            scotty99
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2009
            • 1184

            Comment

            • #7
              kcheung2
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2012
              • 4387

              Originally posted by acoop101
              I think what people are missing is that you are looking for non bimetal jacket ammo, if you can find it the wolf yellow label is copper jacketed and isn't much more expensive that the regular wolf. The other option is s&b and/or PPU both load 7.62*39 for about $0.50 a round. 15/box for American made 7.62x39 is about right but their are better options.

              If you do buy brass cased ammo please pick up your brass, I will be more than happy to pay you for it as once fired brass and that should help reduce your per round price.

              Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
              This right here. For range-safe stuff in S. Calif, 50-60 cents is the going price.

              But your other consideration of avoiding Wolf ammo is a non-issue. Your SKS was made in Russia or China or wherever and and designed to run ammo made in a 3rd world factory...like Wolf. For people in N. Calif & other states with no ammo restrictions, cheap combloc steel-cased is all we run.
              ---------------------
              "There is no "best." If there was, everyone here would own that one, and no other." - DSB

              Comment

              • #8
                Hhsohn
                Member
                • Mar 2016
                • 182

                I just went to Oak tree Gun Club couple weeks back. And I did take my Russsian SKS as well. I used the Yugo brass cases ammo as well as Wolf yellow box (copper jacketed, steel case). They worked flawlessly.

                I just bought some more Wolf yellow box from JG Sales, but they packaging sucked. Ventura Munitions were selling them in 1000 round cases as well.

                Also Ammo Bros Cerritos had some about a month back, but not sure if they still have them.

                Comment

                • #9
                  MontClaire
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 4859

                  Your SKS will eat steel case rus ammo like a sewing machine. They hover around $4.49-$6.99. No need to buy expensive american eagle brass cased 7.62x39.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    noozeyeguy
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2014
                    • 591

                    Red Army Standard (steel) and RAS Elite (brass) are both delicious and nutritious SKS food. Stay way far away from the ammo shelf at Big 5.
                    "Better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      johnthomas
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 7001

                      Saw a guy at Walmart Thursday, bought all the Tula they had on the shelf.
                      I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Hhsohn
                        Member
                        • Mar 2016
                        • 182

                        Folks, OP wants range safe ammo. Just about all outdoors rifle range I've been to doesn't allow magnetic or bi-metal jacketed ammo. Most 7.62x39mm are magnetic.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          johnthomas
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 7001

                          Originally posted by Hhsohn
                          Folks, OP wants range safe ammo. Just about all outdoors rifle range I've been to doesn't allow magnetic or bi-metal jacketed ammo. Most 7.62x39mm are magnetic.
                          Tula is steel cased, copper jacketed lead.
                          I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Darto
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Apr 2012
                            • 6729

                            American Eagle is brass cased, reloadable. And $15 for 20 isn't too bad if what you need are the once fired cases fired from your own rifle's chamber. Reloading is in most California shooters' future.

                            But I can see some poor soul shooting this up not realizing he's at an indoor range where they will stop you from picking up your own fired brass ....

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              acoop101
                              Member
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 215

                              Originally posted by johnthomas
                              Tula is steel cased, copper jacketed lead.
                              not true, most of their stuff is bimetal which Sparks on steel targets.

                              Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1