Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Which cast lead projectile brand are you using?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Blue
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2005
    • 8072

    Which cast lead projectile brand are you using?

    I'm down to my last half box of projectiles, and I remember hearing that Bear Creek is out. Who are you guys getting your cast lead projectiles from? I'm looking for 45acp. I've been debating buying all of the stuff to start casting....but I'm a lazy guy.
    Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
    Let my aim be true and my hand faster
    than those who would seek to destroy me.
    Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
    Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
    And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
    sigpic
    NRA Member
  • #2
    CSACANNONEER
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Dec 2006
    • 44094

    I use CSA brand 200 grain SWC from a H&G 8 cavity mold, lubed and sized with a Star lubesizer. Before that, I used West Coast Plated Bullets and whatever their hardcast company name was. The owner has since sold WCPB and was just doing the hardcasts last time I stopped by there. They are made outside of Carson City, NV and Miwall has carried both brands in the past. You might want to call Miwall and see if they have any to sell.
    NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
    Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor


    Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

    sigpic
    CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

    KM6WLV

    Comment

    • #3
      Nodda Duma
      • Nov 2007
      • 3455

      Originally posted by Blue
      I'm down to my last half box of projectiles, and I remember hearing that Bear Creek is out. Who are you guys getting your cast lead projectiles from? I'm looking for 45acp. I've been debating buying all of the stuff to start casting....but I'm a lazy guy.
      Go to surplusrifleforum.com. There is a guy there with TommyT screen name who sells cast bullets at really good prices. They are good quality. I bought 500 gas-checked 205 gr .329 bullets for my French rifle from him for something crazy like $0.14 a round just a few months ago.

      -Jason
      Looking for photos for your wall?
      Help feed my children by clicking here.

      Comment

      • #4
        tankerman
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Mar 2006
        • 24240

        Target or plinking?

        Comment

        • #5
          Revoman
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2007
          • 2395

          Bear Creek is still in business, they simply moved. Very good bullets.

          Comment

          • #6
            TKM
            Onward through the fog!
            CGN Contributor
            • Jul 2002
            • 10657

            Penn Bullets and Two Alpha are on my loading bench at the moment.

            Two Alpha doesn't have an online order function , just call him for a quote and send a check. Soon you will have a disgruntled postal worker at your door.
            It's not PTSD, it's nostalgia.

            Comment

            • #7
              cdrxls
              Member
              • Mar 2008
              • 369

              go to Irvington Arms, they just got a shipment from Bear Creek last week. i got my fill of 9mm, 45s and 38 wadcutters,

              call them first before going, with the shortage of bullets, they may be low or have run out...

              Comment

              • #8
                anothergunnut
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2006
                • 1819

                Or you can do like I do, just stop by Bear Creek and purchase them direct Seriously, Bear Creek is not out of business. They will sell over the phone at 209-874-4322. They are like the potato chip people; if they are out, they will make more. I like their 200 GR RNHB. It has the same profile as a 230 gr but is a hollow base.
                Check back later for a witty comment.

                Comment

                • #9
                  tankerman
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Mar 2006
                  • 24240

                  What their address? I can't find their website.

                  I used to get thes from Cliff's in Santa Ana, if I remember correctly they are not much to look at but seem to work fine at lower velocity.
                  Originally posted by anothergunnut
                  Or you can do like I do, just stop by Bear Creek and purchase them direct Seriously, Bear Creek is not out of business. They will sell over the phone at 209-874-4322. They are like the potato chip people; if they are out, they will make more. I like their 200 GR RNHB. It has the same profile as a 230 gr but is a hollow base.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    SDJim
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 878

                    For BE Match I use Precision Delta http://www.precisiondelta.com/products_new.htm
                    For plinking I drive over to Redline Balistics here in San Diego

                    I like Precision Delta because the weights are more consistent.
                    sigpic
                    -Duct tape is like The Force. It has a dark side. It has a light side.
                    Used correctly, it holds the universe together. Used
                    incorrectly, it sticks your cat to the wall. -

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Blue
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 8072

                      Originally posted by anothergunnut
                      Or you can do like I do, just stop by Bear Creek and purchase them direct Seriously, Bear Creek is not out of business. They will sell over the phone at 209-874-4322. They are like the potato chip people; if they are out, they will make more. I like their 200 GR RNHB. It has the same profile as a 230 gr but is a hollow base.
                      Awesome I'll have to do that! Thanks!
                      Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
                      Let my aim be true and my hand faster
                      than those who would seek to destroy me.
                      Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
                      Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
                      And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
                      sigpic
                      NRA Member

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        r08ert209cali
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2008
                        • 1534

                        Anyone have bear creeks new web address.

                        I dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom...and several others laying around. For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          otteray
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2006
                          • 3246

                          Off the top of my head:
                          Lee 230gr 6 cavity gang mold for 45ACP.
                          Various old Ideal moulds for .38 Special; 115gr to 160gr;
                          Lyman 311359(gc) for .30 carbine and a "FreeChex" gas check tool for making them out of empty Bud cans. Never had the leading problem in anything yet by using the correct hardness lead, correct velocity and gas checks.
                          Lyman molds for 30-06 Garand, for SKS 7.62x39;
                          Old West Bullet Moulds for .41 mag revolver and Marlin, 260gr and 230gr; 44 mag, 235gr and 270gr; 44 Special., .32 Long Colt, 38-40, 38-55, 40-65, 45-70.
                          2,000 lb. of wheel weights, fishing sinkers, roof flashing, etc.
                          sigpic
                          Single fin mentality

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            IllTemperedCur
                            Member
                            • May 2008
                            • 465

                            Precision Bullets for 9mm. Bought several thousand 115g coated flatpoints awhile back, I've only loaded & fired about 800 or so. They shoot and feed fine, have to take care with the crimp though, to cut down on smoke. Haven't had problems with leading though. The coating they use seems to work okay.

                            Gokutogel memaparkan kriteria media daring yang menyajikan informasi akurat seputar perkembangan dunia telekomunikasi dan hiburan digital bersama Goku


                            Also have 1k of solid copper 115g roundnose from West Coast Bullets (I believe they're X-treme Bullets now). Found 'em covered in dust on the bottom shelf of a local gunshop. About $80 for 1k. Don't be afraid to look behind items on the shelf at gunshops. Sometimes you find nice stuff stashed away where no one can see it.
                            "Are you bringing in any weapons?"
                            "Of course not!"
                            "You're not changing anything."

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              NRAhighpowershooter
                              Super Moderator
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Jun 2003
                              • 6485

                              Oregon Trail Laser Cast Bullets... been using their 45 and 357 bullets for the last 25yrs...hardest cast bullets on the market.. 24bn
                              'Just Don't Point, Squint, and Laugh! '

                              Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1