Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.44 Russian / 205GR Bullets

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dynamic
    Senior Member
    • May 2010
    • 819

    .44 Russian / 205GR Bullets

    Hey guys, I am going to test out some loads for my new schofield Russian model ( uberti ) in .44 Russian

    I currently reload 44/40 and have a couple hundred bear creek poly coated 205 Grain .429 diameter bullets.

    My lyman shows the groove diameter of the 44 Russian as .429 so I should be good there.

    The closest recipe I see on my 49th edition is

    200gr / 1.255 OAL

    Are any of you using 200-205 grain with either Unique / Titegroup / Trailboss ? What are your results ?

    Lyman states smokeless should not be used on any top break revolver, but I am going to assume they are saving their *** and implying old originals and not repros.

    Lastly regarding the rolling crimp. Since I will be using bullets intended for the 44/40. They have the roll crimp line at the position for OAL for a 44/40 cartridge.

    If loading these 44/40 bullets on 44 Russian, and I use the rolling crimp line. Will the OAL be drastically off ? Even if they are both 200-205 grain bullets and same diameter do crimp lines differ from 44/40 bullets to 44 Russian ?

    Thanks in advance.
  • #2
    wbunning
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Feb 2013
    • 808

    Yeah. I've been shooting a few Ruskies. Here are some that worked:
    200 gr Xtreme RNFP over 5.2 gr Titegroup = 865 fps out of the Super Redhawk. OAL = 1.225
    213 gr cast/powder coated RNFP over 5.0gr Titegroup = 900 fps from the SRH. OAL = 1.238

    I haven't used any Unique with this round, but had a few loads work OK with BE-86

    Regarding the crimp groove/cannelure: OAL numbers in the books are, of course, dependent upon the specific bullet used in the test. You don't take that number as gospel for EVERY bullet of that caliber. OAL can't be longer than the cylinder length, obviously, and minimum lengths are partly about not creating excessive pressures. Your .429 bullets should work in your revolver, no problem. Work your own load up from minimum charge, crimped at the top of the crimp groove or middle of cannelure. Watch for pressure signs.
    Last edited by wbunning; 10-04-2017, 9:00 PM.

    Comment

    Working...
    UA-8071174-1