Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Feeler*** Reloading Class 101***

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • reggie 00
    Member
    • Jun 2008
    • 340

    Feeler*** Reloading Class 101***

    I was at my Gun Smiths shop today dropping off a .45 to have some work done and during my visit I started talking to the partner about reloading.

    I asked if he would be holding some classes on reloading and to my surprise he said he is actually putting together a class for possibly the end of March.

    He said he did not know if there would be enough interest to put together a class but he was thinking he was going to put some ads in the Vacaville reporter and the Dixon paper and a few other places to see how much interest there would be.

    A rough guess for the class will be about $30-40. The materials, books and what not usually run him about $20. The cost of using the Dixon game club facilities, some simple refreshments would basically be covered by the rest. Lunch would be fend for your self to keep cost down.

    He said he was looking to keep the class to about 20 people or so. The morning would cover the basics of Shotgun shell reloading. A break for lunch and then on to the basics of metallic cartridge, starting with basic pistol.

    The thought is to keep it basic, side conversations during lunch or after if you want to discuss specifics. Who know if it works out maybe we can talk him into doing an advanced class later.

    I told him I would post up the rough plan we talked about here to reach out to the Internet side and get back with him next weekend on reaction to the class.

    Basically an intro basic reloading class for Shotgun and Center fire cartridges, held in Dixon,Ca. He is a NRA certified Trainer, cost running somewhere in the $30-40 range. To be held sometime the end of March, the first part of April. I am sure once he has an idea of whats what he can start to solidify the plans.


    Anyone interested?


    Interested parties so far:

    Spyder -1
    Wolf13- 2
    WokMaster1 -1
    Reggie00 -1
    Bombmaster -1
    Saelee23- 1 possibly 2
    Coffee -1
    GillaFunk -1
    Jwest -1
    Cold Dead Fingers - 1

    Majority wanting first week end in April.
    Last edited by reggie 00; 03-08-2009, 9:48 PM. Reason: updating


    NRA Life Member
  • #2
    USN CHIEF
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2007
    • 11540

    Man, this would be a great opportunity for those that are thinking about reloading. For me personally I would not have started reloading if someone had not showed me in person how to do it. You will learn a lot and you will feel very confident after attending one of these classes or if a fellow Cal Gunner will show you how to do it.
    Originally posted by tankerman
    I think most folks bubba their AR's because they watch too many action movies, play too many video games and don't understand how to socialize properly, so they fantasize about being 'action hero's'. Kind of like little girls playing dress-up.
    Originally posted by Douglas711
    Is everybody stocking up on guys now? Just curious some gun prices seem to be getting high.

    Comment

    • #3
      wolf13
      Member
      • Mar 2008
      • 482

      I'm very interested. There are many things I trust myself to learn doing, loading something which explodes next to me is not one of them.
      Originally posted by DDT
      Why do you need an armored car for an armored car service? Just start it in Alameda county. If you can have a gun show without guns surely the county attorney would understand an armored car company without an armored car.

      Comment

      • #4
        reggie 00
        Member
        • Jun 2008
        • 340

        Same here.
        I'll keep track of this thread and as you post up I'll print it out and show him and try to help him firm this up.
        After it is all firmed up I'll PM everyone who was interested with the info.



        Originally posted by wolf13
        I'm very interested. There are many things I trust myself to learn doing, loading something which explodes next to me is not one of them.


        NRA Life Member

        Comment

        • #5
          reggie 00
          Member
          • Jun 2008
          • 340

          BTT


          NRA Life Member

          Comment

          • #6
            WokMaster1
            Part time Emperor
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Mar 2006
            • 5436

            Originally posted by reggie 00
            I was at my Gun Smiths shop today dropping off a .45 to have some work done and during my visit I started talking to the partner about reloading.

            I asked if he would be holding some classes on reloading and to my surprise he said he is actually putting together a class for possibly the end of March.

            He said he did not know if there would be enough interest to put together a class but he was thinking he was going to put some ads in the Vacaville reporter and the Dixon paper and a few other places to see how much interest there would be.

            A rough guess for the class will be about $30-40. The materials, books and what not usually run him about $20. The cost of using the Dixon game club facilities, some simple refreshments would basically be covered by the rest. Lunch would be fend for your self to keep cost down.

            He said he was looking to keep the class to about 20 people or so. The morning would cover the basics of Shotgun shell reloading. A break for lunch and then on to the basics of metallic cartridge, starting with basic pistol.

            The thought is to keep it basic, side conversations during lunch or after if you want to discuss specifics. Who know if it works out maybe we can talk him into doing an advanced class later.

            I told him I would post up the rough plan we talked about here to reach out to the Internet side and get back with him next weekend on reaction to the class.

            Basically an intro basic reloading class for Shotgun and Center fire cartridges, held in Dixon,Ca. He is a NRA certified Trainer, cost running somewhere in the $30-40 range. To be held sometime the end of March, the first part of April. I am sure once he has an idea of whats what he can start to solidify the plans.


            Anyone interested?

            Please don't have it on 3/28 cos' I've got to teach a class. Besides that, I'm very interested.
            "Good friends, good food & good wine. Anything else is just a waste of soy sauce.":)

            Comment

            • #7
              Prowler
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2006
              • 2099

              There are some videos on YouTube about reloading that can get you some basic information, however getting someone to show you by letting you help them reload is better. My buddy RANDY on CG's is my mentor for reloading and started showing me last week. Find someone that you can help and maybe they'll show you how...
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                will227457
                Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 488

                anyone ever try reading the directions that came with their reloading kit?
                Saving you from yourself one post at a time

                Comment

                • #9
                  reggie 00
                  Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • 340

                  I have for both of them.

                  I am sure i could get something loaded and it might even come out the right end of the rifle.

                  But

                  The biggest reason is to meet some more like minded individuals interested in reloading. I get some local people to bounce cartridge changes off.

                  The side benefit would be i solidify my ideas on how it is actually to be done.

                  Originally posted by will227457
                  anyone ever try reading the directions that came with their reloading kit?


                  NRA Life Member

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Mickey3Gun
                    Junior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 54

                    Regarding "RTFM"

                    +1 with Reggie. Even when you read the manual's, it's nice to have a mentor for the first few rounds. Kinda sorta like a QC inspection. It's like driving, read and watch all you want, but your first time solo behind the wheel can be a little sobering. Speaking for us extremely cautious types, anyway.....
                    Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
                    sigpic
                    2nd Amendment Foundation Life Member
                    NRA Endowment Member
                    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
                    NRA Certified Basic Rifle and Pistol Instructor

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Spyder
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Mar 2008
                      • 17273

                      I'm interested. The last weekend of March is a no go for me though. Big camping trip planned.

                      Also, what if we only wanted to do the afternoon portion of metallic cartridge loading? Doable? Cheaper?

                      One day class only, I assume?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        reggie 00
                        Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • 340

                        I'm not sure if it will be split up into two or not. I can definitely bring it up when i see him this weekend.
                        And as i under stand it will be a one day class.


                        NRA Life Member

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          hamster
                          Member
                          • Dec 2007
                          • 457

                          wish there was somethign like this in SD. I'd go if that were the case.
                          Nothing is as perfect as you can imagine it.
                          Hamster's AR-15

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            reggie 00
                            Member
                            • Jun 2008
                            • 340

                            Find a smith and see if they will do it.
                            I'm pretty sure they have to do a reloading segment to get their cert.

                            The guy i am talking with is a gun smith and just happens to be a certified NRA trainer in a bunch of things. And as i understand it reloading is his favorite thing.

                            Originally posted by hamster
                            wish there was something like this in SD. I'd go if that were the case.


                            NRA Life Member

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              thawein1856
                              Member
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 160

                              +1 Hamster. I've started saving my brass from the range just hoping that a class will come around in San Diego.
                              WEIN

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1