Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

I loaded my first 50 rounds today

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • joelogic
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2008
    • 6593

    I loaded my first 50 rounds today

    First, I wanted to thanks everyone for all the information and answering my posts. As always there is an incredible amount of info here. I loaded 50 .223 cases with 55gr fmj's 20 with Win748 and 30 with H322. They all shot fine tonight more detailed dialing in to come.

    Couple things I learned:
    1. The reloader may be cheap but things add up quick. Not to mention the dies and conversion kits.
    2. Buy powder and primers whenever you can. Brass and bullets are everywhere.
    3. Read. Read a lot.
    4. No need to start on a single stage. If you can ride a bike you can operate a progressive press. I read a book and manual, fiddled with the press, and then cranked out 50 rounds.
    5. Lastly, do some cost analyst to see if you should get into reloading. There have been some posts about should I reload or buy ammo. Dillon XL650 plus accy's, conversion kits, dies and quick change setups adds up to a lot of money. If you are only reloading .223 basic setup maybe $1000. You would have to shoot 3000 reloads to payoff the machine. So think about your situation and price it out. However there is something extremely satisfying about shooting something you have made.
    Micro/Mini Reflex Red Dot Sight Mount for the M1, M1a/M14 platform
  • #2
    smokingloon
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2008
    • 1012

    Outstanding! but where in the hell is the introductory pictures?
    Lets see the setup.

    Comment

    • #3
      dreyna14
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2008
      • 1594

      So tell me this. Was it hard? The first thing I thought when I loaded my first rounds was, "I thought this was supposed to be difficult."

      Comment

      • #4
        joemama
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2008
        • 2333

        I'm starting to think its cheaper to just buy ammo lol. I'm still waiting for primers so I dont have a finished product yet. But my fingers sure do hurt tonight from trimming, chamfering, and deburring only 118 rounds tonight with the lee trimmer. I think I'm gonna invest in some equipment thats a bit more ergonomic.

        Comment

        • #5
          USN CHIEF
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Nov 2007
          • 11540

          Originally posted by joelogic
          First, I wanted to thanks everyone for all the information and answering my posts. As always there is an incredible amount of info here. I loaded 50 .223 cases with 55gr fmj's 20 with Win748 and 30 with H322. They all shot fine tonight more detailed dialing in to come.

          Couple things I learned:
          1. The reloader may be cheap but things add up quick. Not to mention the dies and conversion kits.
          2. Buy powder and primers whenever you can. Brass and bullets are everywhere.
          3. Read. Read a lot.
          4. No need to start on a single stage. If you can ride a bike you can operate a progressive press. I read a book and manual, fiddled with the press, and then cranked out 50 rounds.
          5. Lastly, do some cost analyst to see if you should get into reloading. There have been some posts about should I reload or buy ammo. Dillon XL650 plus accy's, conversion kits, dies and quick change setups adds up to a lot of money. If you are only reloading .223 basic setup maybe $1000. You would have to shoot 3000 reloads to payoff the machine. So think about your situation and price it out. However there is something extremely satisfying about shooting something you have made.
          I totally agree with you 100%. Especially the bolded part above. That warm and fuzzy feeling of satisfaction that you get knowing that you can make your own ammo is so freaking satisfying that now I am addicted to reloading.

          To the OP, thank you for sharing this.
          Originally posted by tankerman
          I think most folks bubba their AR's because they watch too many action movies, play too many video games and don't understand how to socialize properly, so they fantasize about being 'action hero's'. Kind of like little girls playing dress-up.
          Originally posted by Douglas711
          Is everybody stocking up on guys now? Just curious some gun prices seem to be getting high.

          Comment

          • #6
            Beelzy
            Calguns Addict
            • Apr 2008
            • 9225

            Congrats on breaking in the machine.

            Reloading isn't hard, its just a bunch of steps that require some attention
            to detail.

            Making your own ammo is very satisfying, but it pales to the feeling of
            accomplishment when your ammo outperforms your pet Factory load.

            Its all in the details.
            "I kill things for a living, don't make yourself one of them"

            Comment

            • #7
              perpetual otter
              Calguns Addict
              • Jul 2007
              • 5093

              Originally posted by joelogic
              However there is something extremely satisfying about shooting something you have made.
              +1000

              That is the sole reason I now love it.
              I provide opinions...
              At a rapid rate.

              Comment

              • #8
                Darklyte27
                Calguns Addict
                • May 2008
                • 9372

                I thought it was suppose to be "if you can pull a slot machine arm, you can reload"

                Unless you really mean ride a bike while reloading!
                2 HANDGUNS STOLEN! 1 RECOVERED READ HERE

                Chickens

                Want to get into Ham Radio? Click here
                http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=202581

                Comment

                • #9
                  mvpatriot
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 2178

                  I just ordered the LEE reloading manual and plan on diving in head first!

                  Dillon reloading basics Vids here

                  http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=190727

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    vwynn
                    Member
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 383

                    Originally posted by Beelzy
                    Congrats on breaking in the machine.

                    Reloading isn't hard, its just a bunch of steps that require some Full attention
                    to detail.

                    Making your own ammo is very satisfying, but it pales to the feeling of
                    accomplishment when your ammo outperforms your pet Factory load.

                    Its all in the details.

                    Edit
                    Those who ignore... Will be ignored.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      joelogic
                      Calguns Addict
                      • May 2008
                      • 6593

                      Reloading Setup


                      Rock Chucker for decapping and swaging. I only have 9 lbs of powder for now.



                      Tumbler from harbor freight. Bought it with a 20% coupon and works like a champ.



                      Componets so far. .223 55gr fmj, 6.8 115gr hpbt, .308 150gr fmj. I am using winchester .223 brass, SSA 6.8 brass, and M80 .308 brass.



                      Dillon XL650 progressive. Mounted to a rolling table because my work bench is too high. I couldnt take out the primer magazine. Tool box hands dies and conversion kits.


                      Ammo and primer storage.
                      Micro/Mini Reflex Red Dot Sight Mount for the M1, M1a/M14 platform

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1