Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.357 Magnum Crimp and Bullet Movement

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Erik16
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Dec 2012
    • 422

    .357 Magnum Crimp and Bullet Movement

    NRA Life Member
  • #2
    'ol shooter
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 4646

    That would work for me. Honestly, I just put a good crimp the revolver ammo, and have never had an issue in twenty-odd years. If I'm within a couple thou of the spec, I call it good.
    sigpic
    Bob B.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Comment

    • #3
      hambam105
      Calguns Addict
      • Jan 2013
      • 7083

      Plated bullets, right? How did I know?

      Measure you bullet length before seating. Remember...the bullet, not the cartridge...tell us what you have.

      Comment

      • #4
        Erik16
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Dec 2012
        • 422

        Nope, using Nosler jacketed 158 grain bullets.
        NRA Life Member

        Comment

        • #5
          hambam105
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2013
          • 7083

          Good.

          There is a difference between cylinders with most revolvers. Some cylinders are holding the cartridges tighter than others.

          Check velocities as well. But I really wouldn't worry it me too much. I've successfully reloaded a couple thousand full pressure .357 mags and this has never been a concern for me or anyone eles I know.

          Comment

          • #6
            Whiterabbit
            Calguns Addict
            • Oct 2010
            • 7595

            Works for me. I assume .007 jump is far away from OAL = cylinder length?

            Comment

            • #7
              hambam105
              Calguns Addict
              • Jan 2013
              • 7083

              Might be half that due to measuring error...so what is a shooter to do? Shoot!

              Comment

              • #8
                hermosabeach
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Feb 2009
                • 19807

                So final die sets bullet depth and crimp.

                Unscrew the seating guide, turn the die a bit more into the loader and increase the crimp.

                How does the crimp appear visually?
                Forcing brass into the bullet is too much...

                Roll crimp or taper crimp die?
                Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

                Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

                Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

                Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
                (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

                Comment

                • #9
                  pacrat
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • May 2014
                  • 10285

                  0.007Is this normal for .357 Magnum to get a small amount of movement?
                  Comments as to perspective. Some things in reloading. A "few thousandths" make big differences. Other things a "few thousandths" make no difference. OAL on pistol cartridges is one of the latter.

                  Now to your numbers..... Largest movement you had was only .007". For perspective, that is a little less than twice the thickness of an average human hair. Even using a Ransom Rest, you would never be able to discern any difference in accuracy with that tiny difference in OAL. Especially from a revolver, with its many inherent variables that you have no control over. Like variances in different chamber alignments with barrel/cylinder. And cylinder gap.

                  If you are loading to the 16.4 gr charge, that is close to max for Win-296 and a 158 gr jacketed bullet. I would be surprised if you didn't have a small measurable amount of bullet slip after 5 rounds with a load that stout.

                  That's the long answer, with explanation attached.

                  Short answer.............You're GTG............Choot Em.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    hambam105
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 7083

                    What's 0.007 inch between friends?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1