Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

130gr Speer soft points in a LR.308?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 8mmFMJ
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2011
    • 7405

    130gr Speer soft points in a LR.308?

    Wanting to use my 24" LR.308 for some hog hunting under 150 yards (in reeds/bamboo).

    I'm looking to load some .308 cal 130gr soft points that I believe are meant for a short chambered .308 lever gun like a 30-30. I'm wanting to use some IMR4895. I have load data for a similar bullet.

    Issues: the OAL in my book is nowhere near the cannaleure. I'm not looking to crimp but It is calling for 2.690. I'm at 2.590 and still not close. I don't want to compress the load.

    If I propel this projectile with a starting load of 43gr and 2750fps is it coming to come apart in the barrel or just after the muzzle?



  • #2
    Top Cat
    Member
    • Oct 2004
    • 105

    Those bullets and the starting load will be fine.

    You can seat to the cannelure or not it won't make any difference to the bullet or the hog, but your rifle might prefer it where you have it for smooth feeding.

    I try to keep at least one bullet diameter in the neck as long as they feed well.

    I'm not sure why you picked a 30-30 bullet. It should work fine, but so will the 150 gr version or regular version speer bullets designed for the 308. There are many to choose from, but Nosler 150 or 165 Ballistic Tips are excellent hunting bullets in the 308 at all ranges and are economical.

    Also, If this is for Cali make sure you are not in the Condor lead free zone, as these bullets are not legal there. You'll need to use Barnes TTSX.

    Comment

    • #3
      8mmFMJ
      Calguns Addict
      • Aug 2011
      • 7405

      The problem I see is the top of the cannelure is .308 inches from the base.



      These were super cheap and I would like to use them.

      Comment

      • #4
        FLIGHT762
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2009
        • 3072

        The issue is you're using some other mfg. 130 gr. soft point data with it's COL and you're actually using a FLAT POINT bullet with a SHORTER length. That is where you're losing the .100".

        Load your Speer 130 Flat point to the bottom of the cannelure or to when you have at least have one bullet diameter into the neck (.308") and don't worry about it. As long as you get the round to feed, you're good.

        You're overthinking this. I would use the 2700 FPS data because that bullet you're using is designed to expand at the lower 30-30 velocities. The bullet should work fine as long as you don't push it too hard, it wasn't designed for higher velocities. Shooting the meat Hogs with this bullet should work fine (100-150#).

        Comment

        • #5
          8mmFMJ
          Calguns Addict
          • Aug 2011
          • 7405

          Originally posted by FLIGHT762
          The issue is you're using some other mfg. 130 gr. soft point data with it's COL and you're actually using a FLAT POINT bullet with a SHORTER length. That is where you're losing the .100".

          Load your Speer 130 Flat point to the bottom of the cannelure or to when you have at least have one bullet diameter into the neck (.308") and don't worry about it. As long as you get the round to feed, you're good.

          You're overthinking this. I would use the 2700 FPS data because that bullet you're using is designed to expand at the lower 30-30 velocities. The bullet should work fine as long as you don't push it too hard, it wasn't designed for higher velocities. Shooting the meat Hogs with this bullet should work fine (100-150#).
          Thank you guys for the reply. The bold is usually my damn problem. I'll load 20 and go group a couple out back. I'll report back.

          Comment

          • #6
            8mmFMJ
            Calguns Addict
            • Aug 2011
            • 7405

            Shoot 20

            I put 100 shots down that .308 24" stainless 1:10 pipe. 50 were loaded 130gr SP with 43gr IMR4895. The other 50 were loaded with 41gr IMR4895 and 168gr A-max. The results were surprising. I shot from 324 feet away (GPS/TOPO) with a 60 foot elevation gain. I adjusted my Nikon 4.5-14 up to 150 yards and was able to put a few of the 130s on top of eachother.

            My first 3 (9mm just for scale, I always carry a sidearm and it's what I had)


            Next 6 were in quick succession and the geissele SSA-e shined.


            After I was satisfied I moved over to the steel targets with a warm barrel. I had a slight wind from the west and it pushed the 130s pretty consistently low and left.


            Comment

            • #7
              8mmFMJ
              Calguns Addict
              • Aug 2011
              • 7405

              I'm out at a longer range in Barstow testing some new loads. The 130gr Speer with 43.5gr of IMR4895 and at 100 yards have officially had my most consistent groupings.



              Comment

              • #8
                mif_slim
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Apr 2008
                • 10089

                130gr 30-30 should be fine. Ive used 30carbine 90gr before and it works fine. I usually load MML no matter what bullet i use, unless its literlly just sitting at the edge then i seat it deeper.
                Originally posted by Gottmituns
                It's not protecting the rights of the 1%, it's IMPOSING new laws because of the 1%.

                Comment

                • #9
                  hambam105
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 7083

                  Taking a 9mm on a hog hunt for back-up. Why, are you saving one for yourself should the hog get the best of you?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    8mmFMJ
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Aug 2011
                    • 7405

                    Thanks mif.
                    Originally posted by hambam105
                    Taking a 9mm on a hog hunt for back-up. Why, are you saving one for yourself should the hog get the best of you?
                    I carry a Buck 120 general for the 4 legged animals, the 9mm is for the 2 legged ones.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Top Cat
                      Member
                      • Oct 2004
                      • 105

                      Originally posted by hambam105
                      Taking a 9mm on a hog hunt for back-up. Why, are you saving one for yourself should the hog get the best of you?
                      An Alaskan guide recently dispatched a brown bear to protect a client with a 9mm Glock.

                      Of course this wasn't his first rodeo and he had chosen ammo for his Glock that he had previously tested and felt confident that it would get the job done...it did.

                      I would contend that the 9mm didn't kill the bear, it was his situational awareness.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1