Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Giraud tri way or trim it 2

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kriller134
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2011
    • 1302

    Giraud tri way or trim it 2

    So I'm looking at these 2 case trimmers and I'm leaning towards the Giraud tri way. I do like the trim it 2 because you can switch to different calibers. Anyone with experience with either of these?
  • #2
    1badlvn
    Member
    • Apr 2015
    • 225

    The giraud tri way is amazing. It's a little pricy but very simple and quick to use if you have a cordless drill. I can trim about 300-400 cases an hour of 223 within 0.003 variances on random brass. It took me about 10 days to recieve tho because they are made to order but it is very sturdy and well built. So far have trimmed at least 3k without problem. If you use a cordless drill I recommend you wear gloves.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    Comment

    • #3
      SIKwitIT
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2009
      • 856

      I have the trim it2
      So far so good. Only have done 100rds of creedmoor with it. Accuracy is great. Im sure either one would do very well.

      Comment

      • #4
        croue
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2013
        • 1255

        I bought the Giraud a few months ago and did a butload of 223 cases with it. It worked great. I researched all of them as well and got to basically where you are and finally decided the Giraud seemed to be of higher quality based on reviews and details I could find on the websites. I have not been disappointed.

        The way I looked at the caliber change options is that the changeover components weren't that cheap and the adjustments needed to move the cutter just made it more logical to get the tool in the caliber I need, and buy another one when I need it. i.e. dedicated tools for each caliber. It just wasn't that much more expensive to do it that way. YMMV, but that sold me.

        C

        Comment

        • #5
          jtake
          Member
          • Feb 2011
          • 367

          I have the Giraud Tri-way in 223 and 308 and they work great. Neither needed any adjustment when they arrived for me, so it was just mount the units and trim away.

          I recently picked up a Trim-it 2 in 6.5cm (Giraud does not make a Tri-way in 6.5cm) and have been having difficulty getting it set up.

          (1) Getting it to actually trim the brass has been difficult for me, (2) getting the cutting head adjusted correctly so that it chamfers the inside and outside of the case neck has not gone well, and (3) it tends to bend the case on the edge outwards rather than trim it so that it will not extract from the case holder.

          I have watched numerous videos and spend 4-6 hours so far to no avail.

          Comment

          • #6
            BigBronco also not a Cabinetguy
            Calguns Addict
            • Jul 2009
            • 7079

            OP. If you want to try the Trim-it you can come by and use mine. I can also get calguner 15%off.
            "Life is a long song" Jethro Tull

            Comment

            • #7
              kriller134
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2011
              • 1302

              Thanks for the replies and thanks for the offer big broncos. I have some thinking to do.

              Comment

              • #8
                4wdboss
                Junior Member
                • Jun 2013
                • 29

                Recently went through the same thing.
                Went with the Giraud. Just today finished up the coupler to attach it to a dedicated motor.

                Haven't tried it out.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Eljay
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 4985

                  I never had any luck with the trim-it 2 unless I use the flat cutter. The 3 way cutter doesn't hold adjustments and I destroyed a lot of expensive brass trying to get it to work.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    skyboi
                    Member
                    • Mar 2008
                    • 213

                    my trim 2 doesnt trim either it will debur and chamfer... maybe someone can give me a tip on sitting it up

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      sdnative13
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2012
                      • 653

                      I have the giraud and have it in my drill press and am having trouble getting the cases to trim correctly. They keep grabbing on a burr and spin out of my hand. I wind up having to hold the case with pliers which sucks.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        croue
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 1255

                        It takes some "touch" I've found. Good grip and advance smoothly but firmly. Let the cutter cut. Don't push the brass in to quick or hard.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          JMP
                          Internet Warrior
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Feb 2012
                          • 17056

                          If you have a lot of different cartridges, go with the Giraud Power Trimmer since you can get all the sizes of pilots and blades. If you only shoot a couple cartridges that need trimming, then I don't think it makes nearly as much difference.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            sdnative13
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2012
                            • 653

                            Croue
                            I've tried it with different amounts of pressure and it doesn't seem to help. I wonder if there is just too much lube on the case causing it to spin out of my hand.

                            Does anyone know the approximate rpm's for the giraud?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              croue
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2013
                              • 1255

                              I spin mine as fast as my tabletop drill press will go.
                              No lube on the case. The key is getting the bit started without the grab and spin I think. The grab is generally associated with too big of a 'bite' of the bit as you introduce the case into the cutter. I did something like 1,000 cases when I first got mine. The grab and spin happened frequently in the first few dozen. By the end it was still occuring like 1 out of 30 cases.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1