Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.308 load data advice

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • waveslayer
    replied
    Originally posted by MIGUEL RUVALCABA
    Finally reloading .308 for my 20 inch 1/10 twist barrel. Using 175G SMK Bullet with plans on using the IMR 4166(1 pound already purchased)... also willing to try other powders but any data from people also using the 175g SMK with my barrel profile? Shooting match ammo to find out what grain got rightist grouping added up quick.
    Are you trying to sleuth the FGMM loads?

    My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

    Leave a comment:


  • divingin
    replied
    Stolen from another forum:


    Dan Newberry on .308 loads:

    All Winchester brass. Reduce by .4 grains if using Lake City, or Federal brass. Reduce by .3 grains if using Lapua brass.


    155 grain Sierra Matchking (or any comparable 155 grain match bullet)
    45.6 grains of IMR 4895
    or
    46.5 grains of Varget, IMR 4064, or W748
    there is a high node with Varget at about 47.8 grains (Nosler's max is 48 grains).

    168 grain Sierra Matchking (or any comparable 168 grain match bullet)
    43.6 grains of IMR 4895 (my all time favorite accuracy load)
    or
    44.5 grains of Varget or IMR 4064 or W748
    there is a high node with Varget at or near 46 grains, Hodgdon's max...
    or
    39.0 grains of IMR 3031 (slower, but very accurate to 300 yards, a great close range tactical load).

    175 Sierra Matchking
    43.5 Varget, or 45.0 Varget (high node, be careful).
    or
    42.4 grains IMR 4895
    or
    43.4 grains of IMR 4064 (high node)
    42.2 grains of IMR 4064 (low node)
    or
    43.5 grains of RL15

    With 178 AMAX (Hornady)
    42.0 grains IMR 4895
    or
    43.1 grains of Varget
    or
    43.0 grains of IMR 4064 (high node)
    41.8 grians of IMR 4064 (low node)
    or
    43.1 grains of RL15

    190 grain Sierra Matchking
    40.9 grains of IMR 4064

    200 grain Sierra Matchking
    40.2 grains of IMR 4064

    These load recipes are approximate (but very close) to where the accuracy nodes are. Work up from a grain or two below, to be safe.

    I've tried a few of the loads; they seem pretty close.

    jky

    Leave a comment:


  • blockster
    replied
    I found 3 pounds of Varget and 3 pounds of 4064. I've loaded up low and high end loads of both powders in Starline Brass(which is impecabble btw) with CCI BR-2 primers. Used 175gr Matchkings for those loads, but also picked up some Berger 175gr OTM Juggernauts and Lapua Brass. Going to shoot the loads I made and then going to see what shoot's the best and then load that with the Bergers and Lapua Brass.

    Leave a comment:


  • MIGUEL RUVALCABA
    replied
    Well range report was alright. Tried 41-42.8g 5shots for each load. But did get the Great grouping from 41.5g .IMR 4166. The best grouping I was able to get at 100 yards was 3 shots at.601inch made 1 click adjustment for my last two shots .375 ..... So trying Varget this weekend with 175g SMK to compare. But out of my 18 inch barrel the 41.5g was definitely what I'm going to finish the remainder of the 1lb...

    Thanks again everyone and we'll see about the Varget this weekend...
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • mif_slim
    replied
    Varget seems to be the best for 308. Ive tried a lot of ddiffernt powders but keep coming back to varget.

    Leave a comment:


  • MIGUEL RUVALCABA
    replied
    ^thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • FLIGHT762
    replied
    To answer your original question, I tried IMR 4166 with a couple of Nosler CC Match bullets. I bought 1# to try. I've only tried it in 308 Win. with 2 bullets so far.

    175 Nos. CC / Hornady case / S&B LRP / 2.795" COL / 2- 5 shot groups @ 100 yds./ .45", 1.03" W- 4 rds. within . .55". Didn't run it across a chrono. No pressure signs.

    155 Nos CC / Hornady cases / S&B LRP / 2.780" COL / 2- 5 shot groups @ 100 yds. / .63", .94" / Didn't run it across a chrono / No pressure signs.

    Shot out of a Rem. 700 W/ a 24" Hart BBl.

    My to go powders with the 308 with a variety of bullets is IMR 8208 and Alliant AR Comp. I have a lot of those two powders to burn up before buying any more IMR 4166.

    Leave a comment:


  • ar15barrels
    replied
    Originally posted by MIGUEL RUVALCABA
    ^ never shocked by simple answer turned into lecture..... maybe just maybe trying to avoid SOME of California fees. Like hazmat fees.
    Hazmat fee is nationwide.
    Make the most of it.
    Order 48lbs or powder and sell off the extra that you don't need.
    There is NEVER an issue selling extra 8lb jugs of varget to local shooters.

    Leave a comment:


  • MIGUEL RUVALCABA
    replied
    ^ never shocked by simple answer turned into lecture..... maybe just maybe trying to avoid SOME of California fees. Like hazmat fees.

    Leave a comment:


  • kcstott
    replied
    Originally posted by MIGUEL RUVALCABA
    8lbs of Varget is hard to find in Sacramento area... but if I see it available I'll grab some.
    And this is what the internet was made for. Order that stuff. if it's in stock

    Leave a comment:


  • MIGUEL RUVALCABA
    replied
    8lbs of Varget is hard to find in Sacramento area... but if I see it available I'll grab some.

    Leave a comment:


  • davek8s
    replied
    Does anyone here use CFE223 for 308?

    Leave a comment:


  • ar15barrels
    replied
    Originally posted by MIGUEL RUVALCABA
    Finally reloading .308 for my 20 inch 1/10 twist barrel. Using 175G SMK Bullet with plans on using the IMR 4166(1 pound already purchased)... also willing to try other powders but any data from people also using the 175g SMK with my barrel profile? Shooting match ammo to find out what grain got rightist grouping added up quick.
    Get some Varget.
    Load 43.5gr under a 175 seated to 2.8" OAL and you are done.

    Leave a comment:


  • OpenSightsOnly
    replied
    Originally posted by MIGUEL RUVALCABA
    Thanks everyone. Yeah I'm at The load development stage. I noticed there isn't alot of information out there for IMR 4166. Maybe go to IMR 4895 OR 4064 after this pound of powder is gone.
    Did you visit the Hodgdon/IMR reloading data site?

    Here - http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

    If you can source a chrono for your load dev that would be ideal since you can use your velocity data with JBM calculator.

    Leave a comment:


  • kcstott
    replied
    you'll find 4895 fills the case to much if you're trying to seat to mag length.

    2000MR works well to. But you're going to need to buy a manual to get grain weights. I won't post powder charges nor do i think anyone else should either. there's plenty of reputable data on the powder manufactures web sites.

    Berger and SMK's are pretty tolerant of bullet jump when loaded to mag length. .5MOA all day long

    Leave a comment:

Working...
UA-8071174-1