Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Reloading 77 Grain Matchking

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • H3nchman
    Member
    • Sep 2012
    • 391

    Reloading 77 Grain Matchking

    I am looking to get into reloading. I have bought some pieces of equipment already and generally know the route I wish to take there. I have decided I want to try Sierra's 77 gr. TMK. Does anyone have any powder recommendations for these bullets? I was thinking TAC. Any other suggestions? Barrel is a WOA 18" 1-7 twist.
    Thanks
    Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
    ~Erwin Rommel
  • #2
    joelogic
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2008
    • 6593

    R15 is MOA for me with the SMK and TMK bullets.
    Micro/Mini Reflex Red Dot Sight Mount for the M1, M1a/M14 platform

    Comment

    • #3
      dwalker
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2014
      • 2714

      I use TAC, RL15, and a couple other. Mostly TAC though..
      Fear is the spare change that will keep you broke

      Call him run-like-hell-when-shtf-guy or dial-911-guy but NEVER call an unarmed man "Security".

      Comment

      • #4
        highpower790
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2013
        • 3481

        Tmks aren't worth the money!get the smk and use 24.5 of Varget.
        Keep it simple!

        Comment

        • #5
          kcstott
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Nov 2011
          • 11796

          IMR or H 4895, Varget, RL 15, MR2000, Win 748, H335,

          Comment

          • #6
            Top Cat
            Member
            • Oct 2004
            • 105

            You are on the right track.

            I loaded thousands of 75 Hornady BTHP over TAC for match work and it is a well proven combo. TAC measures well and is temp resistant. The Hornady has better BC than SMK.

            You may want to do some research to be sure the TMK is mag friendly.

            I don'k know because I haven't tried them. John probably knows you might give him a call.

            Comment

            • #7
              H3nchman
              Member
              • Sep 2012
              • 391

              Originally posted by Top Cat
              You are on the right track.

              I loaded thousands of 75 Hornady BTHP over TAC for match work and it is a well proven combo. TAC measures well and is temp resistant. The Hornady has better BC than SMK.

              You may want to do some research to be sure the TMK is mag friendly.

              I don'k know because I haven't tried them. John probably knows you might give him a call.
              Thanks for the replies everyone. I bought Sierra's manual. Looks like TAC will push it to 2800. I like the sound of the TMK, higher BC .42 vs .39 of the hornady. Mag length compatiblr and good terminal ballistics.
              Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
              ~Erwin Rommel

              Comment

              • #8
                nimbus
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2009
                • 674

                How many grains of TAC are you guys using for the 75-77s?

                Comment

                • #9
                  dwalker
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2014
                  • 2714

                  My current load is 24.3gr of TAC for the 75 Hornady BTHPM and the same for the 77gr Nosler Custom Competition BTHP. The Nosler is a base load I am working up.The Hornady load is a proven load in my 18" guns. It is a very hot load and should be worked up to and NOT used in .223 chambers as the pressures will be very high. 24.5 is as high as I go with the 75gr Hornadys and thats a pretty hot load that is at a potential for a kaboom in warm weather and in match (3-gun) conditions where the gun will be very hot.
                  I do NOT use CCI primers anymore as they are not consistent and I have seen 200fps and higher spikes which again is on the edge of a kaboom.
                  I use Wolf or Federal GMM SRP's. The Wolf are very consistent but are a bit on the soft side.
                  I am seating at mag length- 2.260 and I trim to 1.750 with a good chamfer. I do not crimp them at all.
                  Advise against seating shorter as you are likely to have major pressure spikes, and any sort of crimp will also almost guarantee pressure issues.

                  I have seen data for a "sweet spot" accuracy node at 24.7gr of TAC under the 77gr Noslers but again its a hot load and should be worked up to very carefully.
                  Fear is the spare change that will keep you broke

                  Call him run-like-hell-when-shtf-guy or dial-911-guy but NEVER call an unarmed man "Security".

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    milotrain
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • 4301

                    Originally posted by H3nchman
                    Thanks for the replies everyone. I bought Sierra's manual. Looks like TAC will push it to 2800. I like the sound of the TMK, higher BC .42 vs .39 of the hornady. Mag length compatiblr and good terminal ballistics.
                    .03 of BC is within the margin of error for calculations. The TMK just doesn't prove to be a very good bullet compared to the other options out there and certainly not at the cost. The Hornady HPBT 75 is a fantastic bullet for the cost.

                    24.5gr of Varget is well above max, make sure you work up to it.
                    weg: That device is obsolete now. They replaced it with wizards.
                    frank: Wait a minute. There are more than one wizard? Is [are?] the wizard calibrated?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      H3nchman
                      Member
                      • Sep 2012
                      • 391

                      Originally posted by milotrain
                      .03 of BC is within the margin of error for calculations. The TMK just doesn't prove to be a very good bullet compared to the other options out there and certainly not at the cost. The Hornady HPBT 75 is a fantastic bullet for the cost.

                      24.5gr of Varget is well above max, make sure you work up to it.
                      Thanks for the info. That's why I read and post before I buy. I have shot the factory 75 hpbt and a 77 gr freedom reman outperformed the 75. I will still consider them tho. Do you have any info on the 75 vld from Berger?
                      Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
                      ~Erwin Rommel

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        H3nchman
                        Member
                        • Sep 2012
                        • 391

                        I should also mention this is a 223 wylde chamber.
                        Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
                        ~Erwin Rommel

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          highpower790
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2013
                          • 3481

                          The 75gr Berger will outperform any of the bullets mentioned to this point.Expect to single round load these.
                          Keep it simple!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            dwalker
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2014
                            • 2714

                            Originally posted by H3nchman
                            I should also mention this is a 223 wylde chamber.
                            I shoot the above load out of an 18" Nordic Competition barrel with the Wylde chamber, an 18" 5.56 BHW barrel, and a 16" 5.56 Wilson barrel.
                            Fear is the spare change that will keep you broke

                            Call him run-like-hell-when-shtf-guy or dial-911-guy but NEVER call an unarmed man "Security".

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              H3nchman
                              Member
                              • Sep 2012
                              • 391

                              Originally posted by dwalker
                              I shoot the above load out of an 18" Nordic Competition barrel with the Wylde chamber, an 18" 5.56 BHW barrel, and a 16" 5.56 Wilson barrel.
                              So you can't load the 75 vld to mag length?
                              Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
                              ~Erwin Rommel

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1