Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Question on case prep/inspection

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MarikinaMan
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2015
    • 4864

    Question on case prep/inspection

    I just did my first large batch (came out to 450) of 9mm. I ran the entire batch through a case gauge, and 14 of them didnt go in.

    I pulled the bullet off the 14, checked the cases and found the following:
    -all cases were good on length
    -only one case had an obvious defect, I didnt catch, a mild bulge
    -9 of the cases just did not want to go into the gauge without a push.
    -the last 5 went into the case gauge after the bullet was pulled.

    If I run the cases through the gauge before priming, Ill catch the problem with non spec cases. The 5 with no obvious defects, how do you catch those? I destroyed them. I was not sure about depriming a live primer. Is there another quality check I should be doing?

    BTW, this load, 124gr 4.3gr W231 has a POI that is 3 inches to the left of my usual range ammo (Blazer 115gr). It's grouping 2 inches using a pistol bench rest at 25 yards. What would be your strategy be to deal with such a situation. Move sights, change and develop powder load? Thanks.
    Last edited by MarikinaMan; 10-20-2016, 6:57 AM.
  • #2
    MrElectric03
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 1590

    What kind of billets are you using? Out of the ones that passed through the gauge after pulling the bullet were the bullets correct O.D.? I don't check every round, I do batches of 500 at least and spot check them. Haven't had an issue so far after over 10,000 rounds of 9mm not to mention other calibers. What press are you using? Any chance you short stroked a few while sizing?

    If I had a loaded round not pass the gauge I'd chuck it in the to be pulled pile. No way I'd waste the time to remove a live primer from a 9mm case, I'd just toss it.
    Originally posted by ar15barrels
    So you are throwing out 95% of reality to select the 5% of reality where you are actually right?
    We must be on calguns...

    Comment

    • #3
      robert101
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2009
      • 1997

      I check them in a case gauge periodically but my main concern is the actual barrel of my gun. Do they chamber without a problem there? You could pull the bullets and start over. In 9MM the value of the case and components might not be worth it for you. For rifle ammo I typically pull them down and re-use.

      Comment

      • #4
        mjmagee67
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2011
        • 2771

        I shoot USPSA and I case gauge all my ammo. I'd say 2 to 3% don't pass, so I take them and put black X on them. Then I shoot them in practice. After shooting several 100, I can only recall 1 not chambering and firing.

        The case gauge is way tighter than any chamber.
        If you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine.

        Comment

        • #5
          Michael in California
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2012
          • 690

          I'd have measured the cases before pulling the bullets, but that ship has sailed.

          I'd suspect your crimp was marginal. I'd have first measured the diameter at the case mouth and if not in spec, recrimped with the die screwed in an extra tad. (If a seat/crimp die, you have to run the seating stem out the same amount).

          If you could push the round into the gauge with just a little effort, however, I'd plunk the worst of the bunch in my barrel and see if to would chamber. If so, I'd have ignored it.

          My 9mm are real tolerant. The .45 has a match barrel and what the case gauge says is what the barrel says. Same tightness.

          Comment

          • #6
            JMP
            Internet Warrior
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Feb 2012
            • 17056

            Sounds like you have a problem with your die. That's a high failure rate.

            Comment

            • #7
              alexisjohnson
              Senior Member
              • May 2016
              • 651

              probably your crimp!

              Comment

              • #8
                Metal God
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2013
                • 1839

                I've not been loading pistol very long now ( couple years ) I have to admit I don't"gauge" my cases at all . I load 9mm & 45 acp . All I do is load a few , plunk a few and if that goes well I just start loading never really checking again . Maybe the fact I don't use mixed brass helps .
                Tolerate
                allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

                Anyone else find it sad that those who preach tolerance CAN'T allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that they do not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

                I write almost everything in a jovial manner regardless of content . If that's not how you took it please try again

                Comment

                • #9
                  opos
                  In Memoriam
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 1597

                  I don't shoot multiple guns of the same caliber so I plunk test with my bbl...I've found that the gauges like a Wilson, etc gives a spec that will supposedly chamber in any SAAMI spec chamber so it might be a bit tighter than a specific chamber...I just don't have issues. I do use the Lee FCD as a 4th station on my turret press and I'd guess that would probably take care of anything that might cause a problem in the gauge if I used one.
                  God and the Constitution give me my rights and actions...any other input is just blabbering.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    alexisjohnson
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2016
                    • 651

                    My glock chamber is looser than my dillon 45 gauge. The 'real' gauge is your gun but the gauge is a simple way to be sure...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      JagerDog
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • May 2011
                      • 15678

                      Originally posted by mjmagee67
                      I shoot USPSA and I case gauge all my ammo. I'd say 2 to 3% don't pass, so I take them and put black X on them. Then I shoot them in practice. After shooting several 100, I can only recall 1 not chambering and firing.

                      The case gauge is way tighter than any chamber.


                      ^^^^this.

                      Try a "plunk test" on those few that won't gage.
                      Palestine is a fake country

                      No Mas Hamas



                      #Blackolivesmatter

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1