Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

9MM Projectiles? For steel plate.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Demus319
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2016
    • 70

    9MM Projectiles? For steel plate.

    Is there a big difference between Extreme, Precision and RGB Projectiles for steel plate. Lead or Coated Projectiles. Or is it test and see what works best. I shoot a Beretta 92FS. Or if you have any recommendations that would be great. Brass is mostly Blazer and LAX that I picked up on the range or have shoot. I try to stay with California companies but sometimes that is not possible.
  • #2
    CSACANNONEER
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Dec 2006
    • 44094

    If you're shooting steel, why not use frangibles?
    NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
    Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor


    Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

    sigpic
    CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

    KM6WLV

    Comment

    • #3
      erik_26
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2010
      • 3907

      Use AR500 Steel and then you should be GTG with most standard factory ammo.
      Signature required

      Comment

      • #4
        bubbala
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2012
        • 904

        i know oak tree only allows hardball on their steel plates. they say hollow point and frangible types cause ricochets and splashbacks. might be something to consider.
        NRA Range Safety Officer pistol and reloading instructor

        https://www.facebook.com/pages/HL-Se...=photos_stream

        Comment

        • #5
          foxtrotuniformlima
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 3461

          Any of the three you list are fine.
          Anyone press will hear the fat lady sing.

          Originally posted by Vin Scully
          Don't be sad that it's over. Smile because it happened.
          Originally posted by William James
          I cannot allow your ignorance, however great, to take precedence over my knowledge, however small.
          Originally posted by BigPimping
          When you reach the plateau, there's always going to be those that try to drag you down. Just keep up the game, collect the scratch, and ignore those who seek to drag you down to their level.
          .

          Comment

          • #6
            Paseclipse
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            • Jul 2011
            • 1246

            Originally posted by erik_26
            Use AR500 Steel and then you should be GTG with most standard factory ammo.
            ^^^ This

            For the most part you should be GTG if your using steel plates that are in decent shape.

            Head over to YouTube and watch some video's about shooting steel targets and you'll learn some guidelines to follow.

            On my AR500 targets, I tend to stick to a minimum distance of 10 yards for handguns and 100 yards for rifles.

            Comment

            • #7
              CSACANNONEER
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Dec 2006
              • 44094

              Originally posted by bubbala
              i know oak tree only allows hardball on their steel plates. they say hollow point and frangible types cause ricochets and splashbacks. might be something to consider.
              LOL. Frangibles don't ricochet and have a lot less "splashback" than any lead bullet does. Frangibles are the only thing I would shoot at steel under 10 yards. There are plenty of videos of people shooting them at steel at 3 yards with no splashback.
              NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
              California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
              Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
              Utah CCW Instructor


              Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

              sigpic
              CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

              KM6WLV

              Comment

              • #8
                CSACANNONEER
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Dec 2006
                • 44094

                Originally posted by DeusExMachina
                I can splashed last week at 20 yards. Winchester white box 9mm 115g at AR500 angled targets.

                I guess I'd rather wear eye pro and take a few small cuts over spending extra on fragile. Lol
                I've bought frangibles when I've found good deals. I think the last 9mm frangibles I bought were around $50/1000. I just received 4000 50grain .223 frangibles yesterday that came to less than $48.50/1000 shipped. The last .308 frangibles I bought were $30/1000. So, for me, it's cheaper to reload frangibles than to reload just about anything else. That said, ALWAYS wear eye pro no matter what you're shooting!
                NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                Utah CCW Instructor


                Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                sigpic
                CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                KM6WLV

                Comment

                • #9
                  mjmagee67
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 2771

                  Cheap and accurate, any of the Hi-Tech coated lead bullets.

                  I like Bayou Bullets. They are cheaper than plated and shoot more accurately. They knock steel right down.
                  If you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1