Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Garage find... old Hornady Progressive, need help!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • radioactivelego
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2005
    • 659

    Garage find... old Hornady Progressive, need help!

    So a friend was about to throw away a perfectly good press that appeared to be a turret of some sort. Seeing as I was about to get back into reloading, I said why not keep it. After dusting the cobwebs off of it and pumping it I found that it had rotating turret base, as well as what appears to be some dies that look like the type you would find a Progressive. I would love to know if anyone has a picture of how it should be setup, manuals or instructions on use, or could tell me what I would need to get this thing up and running. I have been a single stage guy my entire life, but this might be a good stepping stone to starting loading plinker ammo faster... even if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a Dillon 1050!
    Attached Files
  • #2
    bigbossman
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Dec 2012
    • 11280

    Almost looks like an old Lock and Load press, that's missing just about everything.

    Last edited by bigbossman; 09-10-2016, 6:58 PM.
    Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

    "Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

    Comment

    • #3
      Tonon
      Member
      • Jul 2012
      • 107

      I believe that's the pro-jector model before the lock n load die bushing setup came out. So caliber changes will take longer. I've heard the priming was improved a lot on the new lock n load presses too but you may be able to upgrade it on this one. There is no case feeding capability on the older press and no case activated powder drop but it looks like you'll have to buy that anyway.

      You would probably do ok having it setup permanently for one caliber and upgrading the priming system. Shellplates should also be interchangeable.

      Comment

      • #4
        TransplantTexan
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2012
        • 890

        Looks to be an old Hornady Projector. Solid press I have one I bought used and it works great.
        As I recall the projector became the l-n-l.

        I talked to Hornady about it and they said most newer parts will work on this model.

        I don't utilize it to its fullest capabilities as I deprive separately and the hand pride. I then use the press to flare the case/drop the powder, seat and then use a factory crimp die.

        BigBronco in OC help me get it up a running which started my bromance with BB.

        Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
        Ignorance is a matter of choice and is usually cured by age, experience and education, but stupid is genetic in nature, and incurable.

        Comment

        • #5
          Pablo5959
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2013
          • 1289

          Good luck getting shell plates for it.

          Comment

          • #6
            Tonon
            Member
            • Jul 2012
            • 107

            The shell plates are interchangeable according to this http://m.hornady.com/store/Choose-Sh...ate-by-Number/.

            You may also be able to do a trade in for a lnl since these had a lifetime warranty.

            Manual: http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/...pro_jector.pdf
            Last edited by Tonon; 09-10-2016, 7:50 PM.

            Comment

            • #7
              AandO
              Member
              • Nov 2014
              • 449

              Way Kool Museum piece. Hornady may just trade you for it for a LNL as Tono has already mentioned above. As for me? I'd probably keep it as a conversation piece. That is after a restoration is completed by Hornady.

              Comment

              • #8
                roc_my_tims
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2011
                • 1528

                yeah i think if you send it to hornady with a $150 check they will send you a new lnl ap. but ypu have to keep your old powder measurer which you sont have so add that $100 to the with the atachement it uses and your real close to new black friday prices with the free bullets. so basically if you want a new lnl ap, this press will get you one for $250 damnit plus shipping so $280

                transplantexan - HaHa i thought i was the only person who made BB my mentor with out his permission after taking the awesome reloading class.

                Comment

                • #9
                  wbunning
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Feb 2013
                  • 808

                  I'd definitely give Hornady a call, tell them what you have and that you want to restore it to use. I bet they can rustle up a manual from which you can determine what parts are missing. Clean it up, throw some paint at it, and use it!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    AandO
                    Member
                    • Nov 2014
                    • 449

                    Originally posted by wbunning
                    I'd definitely give Hornady a call, tell them what you have and that you want to restore it to use. I bet they can rustle up a manual from which you can determine what parts are missing. Clean it up, throw some paint at it, and use it!
                    Paint it "BLUE" and repost the photo. . . . . .

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Southpaw45
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2008
                      • 2333

                      Does it take standard 7/8" dies? If not scrap it. I think I would still scrap it and just save up to buy new.
                      Cowboy Action Shooter
                      Midnight Black Powder Shooter
                      S.A.S.S #74217
                      Have Guns Will Travel
                      .45 Colt Enthusiast
                      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        BigBronco also not a Cabinetguy
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jul 2009
                        • 7079

                        What you have there is definitely a Projector model. The Pro-7 had the detente ball for the shellplates located in the base plate and not the shell plates like the LnL do. The LnL shellplates will definitely work on that press.

                        Though I cannot see the priming side of the press in your pictures it seems as if you may still have some of it remaining. Good luck finding parts for that. Unlike the shuttle system of the LnL it pivoted back and forth. That system worked Ok with small primers however not so well with large.

                        This press is a great indicator of where Hornady is lacking in their warranty and support. They no longer have many parts for this press and if they do you will need to buy them if they did, as they are missing and not broken. RCBS would replace missing parts free of charge.

                        If you are any where near the L.A. Orange county boarder I can help you get her going. I had one and moved on to a LnL.

                        Occasionally you can find parts for the priming system on Ebay.
                        "Life is a long song" Jethro Tull

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          DougMurray
                          Junior Member
                          • Dec 2012
                          • 87

                          I also strongly recommend you talk to Hornady about getting the press working. They are fantastic to work with and I'd bet if parts aren't available, you will get a real deal on upgrading to the new press. If you go this way, you won't regret it. I love my LnL press.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Rockzilla
                            Junior Member
                            • May 2012
                            • 53

                            Pro 7 alright, have 2 complete, with shell plates for 38/357, 308 family, 223 family, 9mm family, takes standard dies.. Primer tubes are gonna be your hardest to find. Yeah Hornady will give you some $$$ towards a LNL but the more that's missing the less you get. Have had no problems with the ones I have. Also if you do FB, you may find parts on "Reloading Central", that's where I picked up 2 shell plates, ( I don't do FB, too much drama..etc...but) as far as manuals, parts break-down...here ya go..all in one location.

                            mediatypearr = {4:'4'}; categoriesarr = {99:'99',100:'100'}; linesarr = {}; pagetitle = 'User Manuals'; initializing = true;...


                            If you check out "jet.com, that's where I got another press, LNL way cheaper than the Dillon equipped the same way, and yes I have Dillons...no debates ..please..

                            -Rock
                            Last edited by Rockzilla; 09-19-2016, 3:58 PM.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1