Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

About to get get serious.....223 loads

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Unretarded
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2016
    • 466

    About to get get serious.....223 loads

    5 shot groups on each target spot.
    different bullet weights and calibers and powder charges.

    should be around 360 rounds.

    Should give me a fair idea of what the rifles like and test my new scope.

    Will be shooting these at 100 yards...little round circles are 1 inch sized.



    Last edited by Unretarded; 06-08-2016, 8:35 PM. Reason: photobucket makes me want to gouge my eyes out and stick my finger in a light socket
  • #2
    manuelcardenas77
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2009
    • 2544

    Nice going to be doing that soon, once I get my reloader up and running again.

    Comment

    • #3
      Sir Toast
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2012
      • 3140

      SWEET! What caliber is that?

      With what you're doing, I'd say you're going to have a few choices as far as what your rifles like.

      Happy day!

      Comment

      • #4
        Unretarded
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2016
        • 466

        Originally posted by Sir Toast
        SWEET! What caliber is that?

        With what you're doing, I'd say you're going to have a few choices as far as what your rifles like.

        Happy day!
        .223 and .6.8 mm/.270 win .....

        Comment

        • #5
          NiMiK
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2011
          • 501

          Looks like it's going to be a long day at the range!

          Comment

          • #6
            Unretarded
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2016
            • 466

            I never get to go as much as I would like, so I tend to roost in for the entire day when I go !

            From roosting in several times I get to see them come and go thru the day.....I guess most go for a few hours when they go.....not many do the full 8 hours when there.



            55 grain ppu fmjbt loaded with 23.8 grains imr 4064 and 75 grain hornady loaded from 21.5 to 23.5 will be shot thru a BCM 16 inch mid length non free float 1 in 7 twist barreled upper assembled by BCM. Using a vortex crossfire ii 4-16x scope mounted on a 20 moa one piece base from nikon. Only high grade item is a NM trigger by geissele with a service rifle trigger spring kit using the trigger spring, hammer spring but still using the NM sear spring set with minimal overtravel and approx one pound second stage.10 rounds each charge level for 2 ,5 shot groups per charge weight.NM trigger will be going in the JP enterprises .308 and the standars ar-15 trigger goes back in the .223......just playing with it for now on the 15, old trigger is a cheap standard cmmg or close to that.


            140 grain hornady spbt in .277 with a bc of .486 loaded with 41 to 45 grains imr 4064 shot thru a bolt action remington with a SWFA SS 10x scope........10 rounds each powder charge for 2, 5 shot groups at each charge.
            Last edited by Unretarded; 05-17-2016, 6:17 PM.

            Comment

            • #7
              donnrcp
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2011
              • 640

              How are you going to rest your .270 for your testing?
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                Unretarded
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2016
                • 466

                Originally posted by donnrcp
                How are you going to rest your .270 for your testing?
                Good question, actually 2 ways.

                I have a bipod since most range shooting I use that, but will also be using a front block like I would in the field holding it hunting ,to see what difference it makes at hunting distances.


                I have 2 uses at this point for this rifle........playing around shooting some longer distances and short range hunting.

                To be honest on the short range hunting...200 yards or less, usually much less, I will just use factory hunting ammo which I already have.


                The only reason for hand loading on this rifle is to try and reach out to 1000 yards and see what it will do on steel.

                At this point it is a fun project as I have other better rifles for long range that are not hunting rifles.

                Common practice seems to be to do load testing shooting how you would normally be using the rifle for hunting or the range etc.

                From what I understand using a lead sled etc is bad for testing unless you plan to always shoot the rifle in that same manner.......test it how you plan to use it as the harmonics of the rifle change due to various styles of deployment........not super crucial for 100 yard deer hunts or such, but it will change point of impact some.......to what degree is super variable and unique to each person and rifle.

                Not super critical for short range hunting, but something to consider or test because my results and your rifles results can vary wildly or be the same.......who knows untill you check your rifle for yourself.

                Comment

                • #9
                  donnrcp
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 640

                  For practical purposes, I keep a bipod on my .270. It's my only center fire rifle with a scope. For my serious plinking Hornady 130 gr SST. For blasting, my diminishing stock of Sierra 130 gr spitzer. I have only loaded 130 gr bullets so far (meaning the several years I've owned the .270). I will try some at 150 gr.


                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ar15barrels
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 57179

                    Originally posted by Unretarded
                    I never get to go as much as I would like, so I tend to roost in for the entire day when I go !

                    From roosting in several times I get to see them come and go thru the day.....I guess most go for a few hours when they go.....not many do the full 8 hours when there.
                    Most people lose the concentration it takes to shoot really consistent groups after about 60 centerfire rounds or 3 hours.
                    If you notice groups opening up as your session gets long winded, your testing will no longer be comparable to the testing when you were fresh.
                    Randall Rausch

                    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Metal God
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2013
                      • 1839

                      From roosting in several times I get to see them come and go thru the day.....I guess most go for a few hours when they go.....not many do the full 8 hours when there.
                      Yep me to . I rarely stay less then 5hrs and I see guys come and go all day long . Some times I notice it more then others . I've been deep into load development before where I look around and think where did everybody go , range was full just a minute ago not realizing 2hrs had past .

                      Most people lose the concentration it takes to shoot really consistent groups after about 60 centerfire rounds or 3 hours.
                      If you notice groups opening up as your session gets long winded, your testing will no longer be comparable to the testing when you were fresh.
                      Interesting observation , I never really thought of it like that but your right . I've always known I don't shoot as well late in the day but figured it's a wind thing because the wind is almost always stronger later in the day . I can rock in roll early in the morning with no wind but never thought about it being that it's because I'm fresher and can stay focused better .

                      I'm going to pay a little more attention to that from now on .
                      Tolerate
                      allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

                      Anyone else find it sad that those who preach tolerance CAN'T allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that they do not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

                      I write almost everything in a jovial manner regardless of content . If that's not how you took it please try again

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Unretarded
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2016
                        • 466

                        Originally posted by ar15barrels
                        Most people lose the concentration it takes to shoot really consistent groups after about 60 centerfire rounds or 3 hours.
                        If you notice groups opening up as your session gets long winded, your testing will no longer be comparable to the testing when you were fresh.
                        Thanks for the heads up, I will keep a eye on it !

                        I will shoot the test loads first for groups to see what charge the rifle likes in the 75 grains and then I have about 200 loaded in 55 grains with 23.8 grains of imr 4060 to get a idea of how far this rifle will shoot with acceptable accuracy.


                        Once I figure out what 75 grain load it likes I will run them out to distance also so I can see what this rifle is capable of.


                        After I shoot the 50,223 75 grain projectile loads, I have 50 in 270 to see what that rifle likes as far as a powder charge.....

                        I guess I should shoot the 223 ,75 grain ones first , then the 270 , the 270 is a shoulder pounder after about 70 rounds or so....it is a pretty light gun.

                        Then shoot the 55 grain ones out to distance last ?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ar15barrels
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 57179

                          Originally posted by Unretarded
                          Thanks for the heads up, I will keep a eye on it !



                          I will shoot the test loads first for groups to see what charge the rifle likes in the 75 grains and then I have about 200 loaded in 55 grains with 23.8 grains of imr 4060 to get a idea of how far this rifle will shoot with acceptable accuracy.





                          Once I figure out what 75 grain load it likes I will run them out to distance also so I can see what this rifle is capable of.





                          After I shoot the 50,223 75 grain projectile loads, I have 50 in 270 to see what that rifle likes as far as a powder charge.....



                          I guess I should shoot the 223 ,75 grain ones first , then the 270 , the 270 is a shoulder pounder after about 70 rounds or so....it is a pretty light gun.



                          Then shoot the 55 grain ones out to distance last ?


                          It's not just the recoil, though that is a cumulative factor.
                          It's the concentration.
                          You can be mentally worn out trying to make 75 perfect shots with a 22 LR target rifle...
                          Randall Rausch

                          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            hambam105
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jan 2013
                            • 7083

                            Green paint on the tip of those reload cartridges will make the bullets go faster.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              robert101
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 1997

                              I'm no expert target shooter, but my concentration starts to lack after about 100 rounds. I find my best is shot within the first 30-50 rounds. Just me. After my rifle shooting in the morning. I will go back after lunch and shoot semi-auto for awhile. Shooting target rifle for 8 hours is not something I can do.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1