Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Problem processing nato brass

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    robert101
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 1997

    pure lanolin 1 to 2 parts,
    95% alcohol 2 to 3 parts,
    mix or shake in a bottle and then spray. That's it.

    I use regular 90% alcohol and it tends to separate soon after shaking but it gets the job done.

    As to resizing, I did the first round of resizing on a single stage press in steps and not in one complete round.

    Comment

    • #17
      baih777
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Jul 2011
      • 5680

      ^^^^^this
      You need to be careful not to mix it too thick or you might dent the cases.
      You can find the isoprophyl 91% at CVS or Walgreen's. The lanolin I buy on eBay.
      I just reuse my Dillon lube bottle. Usually lasts a year
      Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
      I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
      I'm Back.

      Comment

      • #18
        bazineta
        Senior Member
        CGN Contributor
        • Jun 2015
        • 647

        Redding makes a dry neck lube, along with a spherical application media. Takes no time at all to dip the necks in the lube; it'll make resizing easy and you won't see pressure dents. Works a treat on the LC 7.62 that I use.

        So far as small base, etc., M60s aren't all that common now; in general if you get MG-fired brass it'll have been fired in an M240B. I find those to be somewhat long, but not blown out, so in general a regular sizing die is probably fine, but be prepared to trim more than usual. Personally, I like NATO brass; it seems to last and due to lowered internal volume, you use less powder. What's not to like?

        Comment

        • #19
          robert101
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 1997

          FYI. I buy the Lanolin at Mothers Market. Nursing moms use the stuff for nipple cream- nursing is hard on the nipples. Yes really.

          Comment

          • #20
            bender152
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • 4237

            I've had similar problems with FC NATO brass. I picked up ~300 cases and found them to be a bit tougher to resize. I do all my .308 resizing on a single-stage press with standard (not small base) dies.

            About 5% of the cases ended up looking a bit worse the ones in your pic (very distinct ripple at the bottom). I just junked them.

            The rest work fine and are definitely much easier to resize the second go-around.

            Comment

            • #21
              Psychbiker
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2009
              • 1671

              What about getting to polishing compound, 300 grit or more and hit the die with it?

              Comment

              • #22
                SevenSixTwoNATO
                Member
                • May 2015
                • 196

                when you go cheap, you have to pay for it in prep.
                I've acutally had to anneal the necks to get them soft enough so My right arm wasnt twice the size of my left arm at the end of resizing.
                Resize on your single stage to get more leverage.
                then you will have to trim them all, they will be diffrent sizes.
                Then They all need to be reamed out the primer pocket,
                If they were reamed at the place you bought them, not all primers might fit
                M60 brass is a pain.;
                I have click bait problems

                Comment

                • #23
                  socal147
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2011
                  • 1254

                  Just completed 50 rounds
                  When sizing and depriming
                  Lube outside of cases
                  Operate your ram in short strokes only partially sizing on each downward stroke. Complete sizing and depriming on second or third stroke. Takes the force required down to reasonable levels.
                  Trim cases to length. Many different units to do this.
                  Remove crimp from primer pocket. Many different units to do this.
                  I reclean after all of this.
                  Then reload as normal ... LoL

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    supergimp
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 284

                    Originally posted by robert101
                    pure lanolin 1 to 2 parts,
                    95% alcohol 2 to 3 parts,
                    mix or shake in a bottle and then spray. That's it.

                    I use regular 90% alcohol and it tends to separate soon after shaking but it gets the job done.

                    As to resizing, I did the first round of resizing on a single stage press in steps and not in one complete round.
                    ^^^^^^
                    Double this.

                    You can use IsoHEET instead of the alcohol (auto parts store). It is the same thing.

                    I do some relative dramatic resizing (.308 -> .358 Win and .45-70 -> .33 Win!!) and wouldn't use anything else. YouTube "DIY Case Lube" or similar for tricks and tips.

                    All my commercial case lube went in the garbage when I discovered this.



                    NRA Lifetime Member
                    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Member
                    Cody Firearms Museum Member

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1