Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR pistol home defense load?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 8mmFMJ
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2011
    • 7405

    AR pistol home defense load?

    I was thinking some 55gr soft points slinging out of a 7" AR pistol with a red dot, strobe, and laser might be a little more intimidating then a 9mm beretta.


    But then I saw this video where a 55gr penetrated over 12" into gel. That would penetrate through an intruder, wouldn't it?



    Say I was going to use a AR pistol for HD, what kind of load would you recommend?
  • #2
    Calico1404
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2016
    • 3401

    Have you ever shot your 7.5 without ears? Literally would cause medical hearing loss indoors. You may just stick with the Beretta or get a good shotty. Keep the AR near your BoB for a quick backpack toss and exit.

    Comment

    • #3
      thegamettt
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2011
      • 2630

      Originally posted by Calico1404
      Have you ever shot your 7.5 without ears? Literally would cause medical hearing loss indoors. You may just stick with the Beretta or get a good shotty. Keep the AR near your BoB for a quick backpack toss and exit.
      I have before, ears rang for like an hour and wasnt hearing right for a couple days. Never do that again lol.
      Have a good day!

      Comment

      • #4
        Paperchasin
        YOU are next!!
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2010
        • 6407

        I would personally never use my own reloads for HD unless there was absolutely no other option. Just buy a few boxes of quality commercial stuff and call it a day.
        Feedback: https://imgur.com/a/mkdPdnQ

        Comment

        • #5
          liber
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2014
          • 1868

          300 AAC BO

          sigpic
          --------- liber --------

          From my cold dead end mill...

          Comment

          • #6
            savagemann
            Member
            • Jul 2012
            • 286

            I'm thinking a 50-60gr varmint tip would reduce the chance of over penetration.
            But, I personally would not use reloads for HD purposes.

            Comment

            • #7
              3RDGEARGRNDRR
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2011
              • 900

              I think the military went to 69-77 grain. Heavier bullet to accomodate for velocity losses out of short barrel.
              I went opposite and am working up a light 40 grainer load with faster powder that zips and would fragment like a varmint round. Need to test it out compared to a heavier bullet. I am running 11.5" tho
              CA: Exorcising my 2A rights

              Comment

              • #8
                jericho89
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2011
                • 1129

                if i remember correct the us marshal's had the same concerns years ago when they went to ar15's for in home warrants and did not want to risk shooting through walls. they went very light and frangible.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Paul_R
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Jan 2011
                  • 2847

                  Anything bigger than a .22 fired indoors without hearing protection will cause hearing loss and even a .22 will make em ring.

                  Any .223 round will punch holes thru people and walls.

                  And since when does the US marshals care about collateral damage?
                  Fear is a social disease

                  Got a jury summons? Know your rights! http://fija.org/

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Eljay
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 4985

                    If you're going to use an AR Pistol for anything other than messing around 300 BLK makes a lot of sense. It's going to go through walls no problem but any defensive grade ammo is going to go through walls, sorry, that's just basic physics. But .223 is light enough it tends to deflect in strange ways and the .308 will at least pretty much keep going where you point it, so you can at least work out in advance, oh, if the bad guy gets to the top of the stairs that's where I shoot him and there's nothing much important out that direction.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      jericho89
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2011
                      • 1129

                      Originally posted by Paul_R

                      And since when does the US marshals care about collateral damage?
                      I was doing work for them many years ago and their requirements was the round could not penetrate 2 sheets of sheetrock. they had the round developed but had concerns with not being able to penetrate body armor. but at the time the legal department were writing the rules.

                      you must remembered that most law enforcement are clueless about ballistics and think that the AR has much more power and destruction over the 870 they had with OO buck. have you ever seen what buck does to meat

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1