Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Bad time for a newbie to get into reloading?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TKCastle
    Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 282

    Bad time for a newbie to get into reloading?

    Want to use my recently 700 build to get me rolling my own once all my match ammo is shot up. Been researching and and I always come across the powder Etc. shortage. If I get into it am I really going to have a hard time finding 308 components?

    I would search myself but I don't know what components I will be using yet.

    Thanks.
  • #2
    mskochinski
    Member
    • Feb 2010
    • 258

    No better time than now to get started! Components are-a-plenty right now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Do you think I'm cute, Do you think I'm funny!?"
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      Michael in California
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2012
      • 690

      Now is good. I started about 2 years ago and finding powder was real hard. Primers were slightly scarce. The press and parts though were on sale since no one had powder!

      I bought 10 lbs of powder when I found it and now that its easy to find, I don't need it.

      Comment

      • #4
        desertjosh
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2011
        • 5749

        Ya, now is a good time. Start stocking components now just in case hillary gets elected or there is another mass shooting or something. Have fun!
        Welcome to OT, where hypocrisy is King, outrage is Queen and the Kingdom is on the shores of the Denial River.

        __________________

        Comment

        • #5
          LRShooter
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2011
          • 553

          Plenty of stuff available right now. Especially online, and it's usually cheaper there as well.

          Comment

          • #6
            liber
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2014
            • 1868

            No time is a bad time. There are always components available, maybe they won't be as plentiful at times, but most people that reload stock up on enough to carry them through for at least 3 - 6 months. I know that I do.

            I do consider it a cost savings, whether I save money over the long haul or not, at least I get to shoot more and the cost per load is much cheaper.
            sigpic
            --------- liber --------

            From my cold dead end mill...

            Comment

            • #7
              cloudsurfr
              Junior Member
              • Feb 2016
              • 23

              New to reloading as well. Seems like we missed the really bad shortages in 13/14.

              I'm slowly stocking up so i have plenty for a while, but expect it will ebb/flow into another shortage cycle soon enough. Looking forward to still shooting as much as i want now and even then!

              As for components - keep your brass (obviously), and start looking for bullets that you like. I'm a pistol shooter (eventually 5.56 and .308 planned), but did see some folks who reverse engineered some match grade bullets (which powder, how much, and bullets that are comparable to $$ match bullets). I'd start reading and getting up to speed on things like that.

              Maybe to start off - with your 700 what ammo are you liking the most? That's what i'd start off asking the experts here to make similar or better w/ specific components (bullet, powder, primers, etc.).

              HTH - GL!

              Comment

              • #8
                balmo
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2012
                • 1684

                Best time is now. Back in 2014, there is absolutely nothing. Not even a comparable powder. Now, there are usually comparable powders in stock or just wait a few days.

                Comment

                • #9
                  bigpondonly
                  Member
                  • Jul 2013
                  • 151

                  I'm in the same boat. I did start stockpiling powder, primers, bullets for the calibers I shoot. Also got and studied a couple reloading manuals. And picked up a scale, bullet puller, calipers, etc. on sale here and there. Just this week found a killer deal on a used press/dies...so now I'm ready to get started.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    mycrstuff
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 1427

                    Once you figure out what powder and primers work you should stock up on a two year supply. Figure out how many rounds a month you shoot and then stock up accordingly. If Hillary gets elected there will be another panic. The last couple panics took about two years before powder and primer availability got back to normal.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      RogueSniper
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2008
                      • 3749

                      ^^
                      True that. Now is the perfect time.

                      Start buying BEFORE election time. Prices tend to rise as we get closer to political elections.

                      Look for Primers, Powder, and Bullets as components. If you're loading for Match, then buy some good Brass, otherwise use your own once fired factory Brass.

                      But #1: Get some good Load Manuals. I like Hornady, Speer, and Nosler Manuals - because those are the bullets I'm shooting.

                      I wouldn't suggest buying "sample" packs of bullets - ie. Barnes, Nosler, Berger 12 packs. Those are expensive. Look to your Load Book/Manuals to understand what you need.

                      I got a good buy from Cabela's on S&B primers a couple of months ago. Now, it's $19.99/brick (1000 primers) on sale.

                      Look for the special discounts: free haz mat, free shipping, 10% off, Cash back (Active Junky, Fat Wallet, C&R discount ...
                      Shipping bullets will sometimes kill the deal because of the weight.
                      Haz Mat is a fixed amount.
                      10% off = bonus!!!

                      Cabela's, for some strange reason, their Haz Mat charges were lower than anyone else's. Grafs will occassionally have a free Haz Mat promo. Or, buy some Powder and Primers as a group and split the costs.

                      PM me. I have Brownells Edge Membership (free shipping) and I have the C&R discount, too. I can have them send stuff to you directly.
                      I'm not having a glass of wine, I'm having SIX. It's called a tasting and it's classy.

                      Active Junky / Dvor
                      TARGET SPORT USA Prime Ammo referral - PM me

                      Stuff for sale:
                      Packer Stock (folding 10/22 stock)
                      Beretta Silver Pigeon SL2 Shotgun (Pump)
                      Kenwood Receiver

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        pdoggeth
                        Member
                        • Mar 2014
                        • 369

                        No time like now. Things are better in availability (though not great), and you'll have a good amount of time to experiment with loads before two major apocalypses later this year: 1) Hillary getting elected, and 2) before Gavin Newsom's stupid proposal passes.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Whiterabbit
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Oct 2010
                          • 7595

                          Originally posted by TKCastle
                          Bad time for a newbie to get into reloading?
                          NEVER

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Capybara
                            CGSSA Coordinator
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Feb 2012
                            • 15631

                            Up until Governor Newsom signs in AB #%&* that prohibits the purchase of reloading components without a BG check, no Internet sales and lowers the maximum amount of components one may store, then eventually finds an environmental excuse why reloading is bad for the earth and bans it in this state. That will be a lousy time to get into reloading. You have a few more years possibly.
                            NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              bender152
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2006
                              • 4237

                              Originally posted by mycrstuff
                              Once you figure out what powder and primers work you should stock up on a two year supply. Figure out how many rounds a month you shoot and then stock up accordingly. If Hillary gets elected there will be another panic. The last couple panics took about two years before powder and primer availability got back to normal.
                              +1

                              If you don't get into reloading now, and if Hillary gets elected, you probably won't get into reloading for another 2 or 3 years (because it will once again be impossible to find components). Heck, given how rabidly anti-gun she is, it may take longer than 3 years for things to normalize.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1