Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

LilGun vs H110 for 300BLK Preference?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PatC415
    • Nov 2014
    • 979

    LilGun vs H110 for 300BLK Preference?

    Been using H110 for years in 300Blackout...It's been available, and I have lots of it. I acquired some Lil Gun a while back, and have been interested in opening up the jug and giving it a try.
    I see the reload data is pretty close, but apparently it runs a little hotter/faster than H110. Now that winter is here, do you guys see any benefit of one over the other, especially interested in the accuracy, not speed.
    My accuracy has been outstanding with H110, just want to give the Lil Gun a try.
    NOT looking for opinions, just real world experience of one over the other.
    Using these loads for pig/varmint.
    Using 110Tactx over 19.4 grains of H110 now. I see Barnes load data using 20.2g of Lil Gun max.
    Last edited by PatC415; 01-10-2016, 5:09 PM.
    It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the bottom.
  • #2
    bfoosh006
    Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 345

    Everything I have read shows it running "slightly" faster...

    IMHO not enough to change from a known accuracy load.

    Comment

    • #3
      Jeff213
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2009
      • 706

      My accuracy load for my blackout rifle is 18.0gr of lil gun under a 125gr SMK hpbt loaded @ 2.20" oal. I like cci 400 primers too. Groups ~.5-.75" out of my ptac 300 blk upper.


      I like both of these powders however and use them both. I like the h110 better with my 135gr gas checked hard cast bullets.

      Comment

      • #4
        bigdawg86
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2012
        • 3554

        No word on accuracy as this is just a fun gun load... But I run 16.6g of Lil Gun under pulled 147g projectiles for an average of 1983fps from a 16" barrel with wolf SRP. It cycles great with a carbine gas system and last round holds bolt open reliably.

        Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

        Comment

        • #5
          PatC415
          • Nov 2014
          • 979

          Thanks for the replies guys. I loaded up a couple ladders last night from 19.2 to 20.2 , we'll see how this stuff compares. I'll run it out a couple hundred yards and see what happens.
          Like bfoosh006 mentioned above, it's hard to beat a winning combo.
          Don't mind trying something new...I'll just go have some fun.
          It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the bottom.

          Comment

          • #6
            thmpr
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • 3785

            subsonic is what I have been using on my 300 BLK and found H110 as the ideal powder.
            NRA Life Member

            Comment

            • #7
              mesojdm
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2011
              • 521

              Originally posted by thmpr
              subsonic is what I have been using on my 300 BLK and found H110 as the ideal powder.
              What length barrel? Are you getting it to cycle reliably?

              OP- I use H110 for "lighter" weight pills (110gr). Excellent SD's and very accurate load @19.5gr. Barnes or VMAX = great hunting round.

              Lil' Gun for heavier (125gr+) Plinkers. I can't get the velocities like the H110, and Lil'gun burns a little hotter. Also, when compressed velocity acts funny. Example:
              125gr Speer TNT
              16.6gr -2022fps SD-58
              17.0gr -2092fps SD-53
              17.4gr -2088fps SD-15
              17.8gr -2025fps SD-50
              18.2gr -1980fps SD-68

              Comment

              • #8
                liber
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2014
                • 1868

                Originally posted by thmpr
                subsonic is what I have been using on my 300 BLK and found H110 as the ideal powder.
                Please share more details.
                sigpic
                --------- liber --------

                From my cold dead end mill...

                Comment

                • #9
                  PatC415
                  • Nov 2014
                  • 979

                  Originally posted by mesojdm
                  What length barrel? Are you getting it to cycle reliably?

                  OP- I use H110 for "lighter" weight pills (110gr). Excellent SD's and very accurate load @19.5gr. Barnes or VMAX = great hunting round.

                  Lil' Gun for heavier (125gr+) Plinkers. I can't get the velocities like the H110, and Lil'gun burns a little hotter. Also, when compressed velocity acts funny. Example:
                  125gr Speer TNT
                  16.6gr -2022fps SD-58
                  17.0gr -2092fps SD-53
                  17.4gr -2088fps SD-15
                  17.8gr -2025fps SD-50
                  18.2gr -1980fps SD-68
                  Yeah that's a strange set of numbers. Not sure what's going on there. Where's the compression start on the 125's? Looks like 17.4 is a winner.
                  My best load with the H110 was 18.5 with the 125TNT's. It's a keeper.
                  But now because of the lead ban, I'm trying to work up loads with these Tac-tx. Just thought I would try the LilGun...maybe it's not the powder, we'll see.
                  I ran the H110 way over 20 compressed on the 110's, and the accuracy sucked. Mine started to open up over 19.5, so I called it good @ 19.4, the numbers looked good as well.
                  Thanks for sharing that.
                  It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the bottom.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    liber
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • 1868

                    I can't offer much help as I'm just starting to reload 300 BLK, and just picked up some W296. I'm getting some A1680 also, and curious why nobody is using it, it seems like one of the preferred powders for 300 BLK.

                    thmpr,

                    I was curious in your post as you imply that H110/W296 is your preferred load for subsonic.

                    Are you using heavy bullets? In another thread Randall Rausch mentioned that H110/W296 is better suited for bullets over 200 gr., and A1680 better for everything under 200 gr.
                    sigpic
                    --------- liber --------

                    From my cold dead end mill...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      thmpr
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 3785

                      Do a search for 200 grains FMJBT Lapua subsonic bullet - The key is to load till you reach an optimal ~1050 fps. Be careful to not undercharge.....
                      NRA Life Member

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        mesojdm
                        Senior Member
                        • Aug 2011
                        • 521

                        ^ The Lapua is an awesome little pill. The boat tail design is specifically for subsonic flight. I've had good results with 8gr of lil' gun & 10.5gr 1680. (COAL 1.960")


                        Originally posted by liber
                        I can't offer much help as I'm just starting to reload 300 BLK, and just picked up some W296. I'm getting some A1680 also, and curious why nobody is using it, it seems like one of the preferred powders for 300 BLK.
                        It is widely used, and is versatile for mid to heavy weight subs. It's the magic powder that cycles in most(if not all) 300blk's... problem is 1680 is super dirty. H110 can also work, but will most likely run into cycling issues without the added back pressure of a can. Also W296 = H110.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1