Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Anyone have any experience with a brass catcher ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Grobin7569
    Junior Member
    • Jul 2009
    • 36

    Anyone have any experience with a brass catcher ?

    Just spent a few hours at the range and ended my session as usual, on my knees looking for my brass.

    Do those wire basket things work on our sand / gravel environment?

    I am realizing that I'm using a revolver more, just to not end the session groveling around.
  • #2
    71MUSTY
    Calguns Addict
    • Mar 2014
    • 7029

    My wife has a brass catcher, but she has learned to wear a high necked shirt, or a bandana like in the old westerns
    Only slaves don't need guns

    Originally posted by epilepticninja
    Americans vs. Democrats
    We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross


    We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.


    What doesn't kill me, better run

    Comment

    • #3
      Meety Peety
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2008
      • 3216

      3 methods that I have found to be pretty successful all have pros and cons.

      I built a big frame out of PVC pipe that looked sorta like a small upright soccer net. Stand next to it at the range and your brass spits right into it. This worked very well, and even collected up small 22lr brass without a hitch. The downside to that one was that you had to stand exactly in the same spot at all times, or at least move the thing any time you wanted to shoot from another location. Much like picking up your brass after every magazine.. it took a lot of the fun out of range time.

      Second thing that works pretty well is standing on a tarp while you shoot. As you can imagine, you'll get all kinds of dirt, rocks, leaves etc in your pile.. and obviously you end up with more than a few that fly past the tarp.

      There is a product out there that takes it a step further and uses a "tarp" made of mesh that will catch your brass but all the dirt and stuff falls through when you clean up. Unfortunately, so does 22lr brass and a lot of 9mm will work their way through as well. And then you still have the issue of brass flying past the end of the tarp.. which is pretty much guaranteed when shooting most service rifles.

      I have not tried the brass catchers that you attach directly to the weapon or your wrist.. not sure how they would work out. Out of all three that I have tried, the upright brass catcher that I built out of PVC was the best, but I still hardly used it after a while. It was great for shooting ARs from a bench, since you never move anyway. I'll probably build another one one of these days.
      Last edited by Meety Peety; 12-25-2015, 6:04 PM.
      "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

      Comment

      • #4
        Grobin7569
        Junior Member
        • Jul 2009
        • 36

        I was thinking more of those things that you roll around to pick up brass.
        Seems like they might just push the brass into the sand.

        Musty - feel free to post a pic of your wife's brass catcher...

        Comment

        • #5
          jericho89
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2011
          • 1129

          They do have issues in soft sand and loose gravel. They work great on concrete and hard packed gravel, not that you find that much at he range. For rifles the brash catcher nets that attach to the rifk work well. For pistols there are hard plastic brass catchers that work well for he bench, but are a little clumsy. For revolvers an empty ammo can to dump your brass into is your friend at he bench.

          Comment

          • #6
            barearms562
            Member
            • Jun 2012
            • 463

            Pick up brass without bending over or crawling around on your hands and knees. The Ammo-Up Compact Brass Picker is an easy-to-use handheld device.



            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

            Comment

            • #7
              barearms562
              Member
              • Jun 2012
              • 463

              This is what I just purchased for the same reason


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment

              • #8
                romukom
                Member
                • Apr 2014
                • 268

                I usually go to ranges that have tables. I use a pop up laundry basket (horizontal version) and stick it to an ammo can. You can get the laundry basket in Walmart, Target, etc. ($5-$7). Depending on the ammo some of the cases will bounce out. Let say from 100 rounds, maybe two or three casing ends up bouncing out.
                Usually I have to rotate a little bit the basket so that it will bounce around inside like a cue ball bouncing on the pool table.
                Also, depending on the table height, you might want to prop it up as I show in the picture.
                I hope this help

                DSC00090.jpg

                Comment

                • #9
                  'ol shooter
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 4646

                  Because my son likes to move around a bit when he shoots, we use a Brass Wizard, and it really works pretty well.
                  sigpic
                  Bob B.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(")

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    liber
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • 1868

                    I use one of these which fits on the picatiny. They're a bit tricky to adjust, but the picatiny mount adjusts on some rods which make it possible to mount with most scopes.

                    I shoot at a bench most all the time, with a bipod, so it doesn't bother me at all. If you were shooting prone, knealing or standing I don't know if that would be a problem.

                    My only complaint is that 223/5.56 fly out of the chamber pretty hot and tend to stick to the mesh netting occasionally...not bad enough to burn through, but just stick to it.

                    Attached Files
                    sigpic
                    --------- liber --------

                    From my cold dead end mill...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      uechikid
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2012
                      • 1409

                      You might also consider this pickup tool.

                      "Carpe Diem"

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Jimi Jah
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2014
                        • 19285

                        That version of Caldwell should work on 7.62 x 39 as well since it's adjustable how far off the bolt it ca be set.

                        I have the velco versions and those can be tricky to set in the right spot.

                        An alternative is to layout a beach towel and pick them up that way.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Metal God
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2013
                          • 1839

                          I use the Caldwell brass catcher for my AR like the one above except mine is the kind the uses a velcro strap and wraps around the forend at the receiver . They work great and I leave them un-zipped so the brass just falls to my feet . This way when shooting a bunch the bag does not fill up . I use them a lot and have never had a case hang up and or cause any feeding issues with the firearm . The only down side is when the line goes cold I have to remove it so the SRO can see the empty chamber .

                          For pistol I started using the Caldwell brass trap http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00 . Like others said , to use it you must shoot in the same place for every shot . Now I use it most for load development because I need to inspect my brass after every sting . Having to go hunt for it on the ground mixed with other range brass is simply not an option . You can just set it on the bench next to you with or with out a small tri-pod or you can use a large tripod and use it while standing .

                          The AR catcher works great in all positions as well as running & gunning . I'll add that if you leave it un-zipped and shoot from the bench . HOT brass at times will roll over and kiss your arm while you shoot .

                          The other one works great as well if you really need to catch your brass but does take the fun out of shooting if your there just to play .
                          Last edited by Metal God; 12-26-2015, 11:54 AM.
                          Tolerate
                          allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

                          Anyone else find it sad that those who preach tolerance CAN'T allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that they do not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

                          I write almost everything in a jovial manner regardless of content . If that's not how you took it please try again

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            SuperSet
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Feb 2007
                            • 9048

                            Maybe this is a known fact but for those brass catchers that attach to the gun, you should only use those when standing still or shooting from the bench.
                            If you do any dynamic movement at all, do not leave it on your gun. It will cause malfunctions.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              'ol shooter
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2011
                              • 4646

                              Originally posted by uechikid
                              You might also consider this pickup tool.

                              http://www.midwayusa.com/product/873...rass-collector
                              Same as the Brass Wizard.
                              sigpic
                              Bob B.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(")

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1