Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

How Often Do You Update Your Books?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • XDJYo
    Calguns Addict
    • Apr 2012
    • 7100

    How Often Do You Update Your Books?

    Hiya,

    New guy round these parts. Just set up my Dillon 650 last week. Anxious to get going. Hope y'all be patient with me and forgive me if this has already been addressed.

    How often do you update your reloading books? For example, I have the Lyman Reloading Handbook-47th Edition. When I was browsing Alliant's website, I noticed that the load data was a bit different that what I see in the Lyman book. Quick google search to see how 'outdated' my manual is and I see that the most recent one available on Amazon is the 49th edition.

    So, do you go out and re-buy your reloading handbooks or do you peruse the manufacturers website for load data?

    Thank you!

    Happy shooting and be safe!
    Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
    Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
    Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
    M&P 15 (Mine)
  • #2
    2shotjoe
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Feb 2011
    • 26702

    When I see a new edition.

    Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Kestryll
    ..you're kind of a sad excuse for an attorney...
    Originally posted by Libertarian777
    ...Don't pick either side....

    Comment

    • #3
      Bigtwin
      Veteran Member
      • May 2010
      • 2639

      When I get around to it!
      NRA MEMBER

      Comment

      • #4
        Divernhunter
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2010
        • 8753

        I do both. Even the newest books will differ from the website info.
        A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
        NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
        SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

        Comment

        • #5
          XDJYo
          Calguns Addict
          • Apr 2012
          • 7100

          Ok. Thanks all. Sounds like a call is in order to Alliant. Wanted to get a good starting point to develop a load for 45 ACP-Bullseye. Seems like the data has changed quite a bit.


          Sent by a Monkey in Outer Space
          Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
          Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
          Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
          M&P 15 (Mine)

          Comment

          • #6
            liber
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2014
            • 1868

            Originally posted by XDJYo
            How often do you update your reloading books? For example, I have the Lyman Reloading Handbook-47th Edition.
            I have the same Lyman's 47th Edition, and I don't use it as I have the Speer #14 and Hornady 9th Edition, both of which have much more recent data.

            Also worth comparing online data, like the Hodgdon Reloading Site as it has most all the powder I use.

            The Lyman's 47th Edition doesn't have any modern powders in it, like Varget or 8208 XBR which I use.

            All our mileage varies...

            EDIT: both Speer and Hornady have Bullseye loads for 45ACP. One thing to NOTE, Hornady loads seem a tad light in comparison to Speers, rumor has it that could be due to legal issues as of recent. All loads should be started low and worked up.
            Last edited by liber; 12-08-2015, 10:46 PM.
            sigpic
            --------- liber --------

            From my cold dead end mill...

            Comment

            • #7
              Carcassonne
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2012
              • 4897

              Originally posted by XDJYo
              Hiya,


              How often do you update your reloading books? For example, I have the Lyman Reloading Handbook-47th Edition. When I was browsing Alliant's website, I noticed that the load data was a bit different that what I see in the Lyman book. Quick google search to see how 'outdated' my manual is and I see that the most recent one available on Amazon is the 49th edition.

              So, do you go out and re-buy your reloading handbooks or do you peruse the manufacturers website for load data?

              Thank you!

              Happy shooting and be safe!

              Never.

              Alliant and Lyman are not the same company. Each ran their own tests. Load data is only a guide. Powder companies test common bullets with their powder. Bullet company test common powders with their bullets. Temperature, altitude, crimp, test barrel, or anything else will effect chamber pressures.



              .
              Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

              In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

              I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.

              Comment

              • #8
                balmo
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2012
                • 1684

                I always get Alliant's free reloading booklet and Hogdon's annual magazine every year. Not a lot of loads on the Alliant booklet but if they have a new powder, a recipe is there. Hogdon's magazine is loaded tons of recipes in their magazine. I've been getting these 'updates' since 2012 when I started reloading.

                Comment

                • #9
                  robert101
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 1997

                  Regarding handgun books look for One Book / One Caliber for your 45 acp. I have other Manuals such as Lee, Sierra, Speer, and Hornady but the OBOC paper back is very complete and costs about $6. I don't update much for 45 acp. It is a very forgiving round at some 21,000 psi. Many other cartridges are allowed to >61,000 psi in rifles.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    XDJYo
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Apr 2012
                    • 7100

                    Thank you all for the replies.

                    Appreciate the suggestions too. Trying to sort all of the different data out.

                    One of the reasons why I am starting with 45 is because it is a forgiving round.

                    Thx!!


                    Sent by a Monkey in Outer Space
                    Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
                    Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
                    Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
                    M&P 15 (Mine)

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      jameshenry
                      Member
                      • Jan 2011
                      • 327

                      If I start to reload a new cartridge I will check the powder manufacture's web site. Other wise I just use my favorite recipe. I have been using Hodgdon Universal for all my pistol loads. .380, 9mm, .357 sig, .44 sp/mag, .45 acp . All with my Dillon 650.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        wpage
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jan 2011
                        • 6072

                        I use the same data...
                        God so loved the world He gave His only Son... Believe in Him and have everlasting life.
                        John 3:16

                        NRA,,, Lifer

                        United Air Epic Fail Video ...

                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Bumslie
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Oct 2011
                          • 5358

                          I use data from ideal/Lyman 38th edition

                          NRA Life Member
                          WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, and common sense. Some overly sensitive "men" will be offended.
                          Originally posted by ivanimal
                          I love you! (some Homo)
                          Originally posted by ivanimal
                          I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
                          Originally posted by Kestryll
                          OP you are an uninformed tool.
                          Go Broncos!
                          Go Kings Go!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            JMP
                            Internet Warrior
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Feb 2012
                            • 17056

                            I really don't think it is necessary to update books. Really, the only time I even look in a book is to get the cartridge dimensions. For loads, I generally use the manufacturer of the powder's loads as a rough guide for max/min. Then there are always cartridges that have no published data so the book does you no good either, you just have to start conservatively. Once you get your loads down, you tend to stop looking at the book loads as those are just a guideline. Rather than spend money getting new versions of reloading manuals, I think the money would be better spent on a program like QuickLOAD for more data.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              XDJYo
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Apr 2012
                              • 7100

                              I think what is confusing to me is that the load data varied quite a bit from what I have been reading.

                              For example, the Lyman 47th Edition for 230 grain, 45 ACP with Bullseye lists a min/max load of 3.8/5.3 grains.

                              The Alliant info I pulled off their website pdf manual on page 83 shows 230 grain TMJ with 5.7 grains. Quite a big difference to this greenhorn.

                              From my limited browsing of this forum and the 1911 forum, it seems like it varies from the low to mid/high 4's.

                              Anyways, no big deal. I will continue to consult and ask questions. Start low and work my way up.

                              Thanks again!

                              Happy shooting and be safe.
                              Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
                              Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
                              Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
                              M&P 15 (Mine)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1