Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Joined the Dillon Gang!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Toolbox X
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2005
    • 2602

    Originally posted by Oceanbob
    What's that THING in the foreground?
    That? Oh, it's just this old German thing I found laying around.

    Comment

    • #32
      liber
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2014
      • 1868

      Originally posted by Toolbox X
      That would allow me to make sure all of the primers were facing the right way and check if any primers were not seated all of the way, or notice is anything was out of the ordinary with a round.
      ...
      You will want to check the primer on every round one way or another. The 650 can have a tendency to put primers in upside down occasionally, and sometimes not seat them all the way. Especially when you are new.
      I also second what you say, and have not only seen primers upside down, but have had strange things happening when reloading crimped brass that wasn't swagged correctly. Arguably my fault, but none the less it does happen.

      Also, occasionally I have also had the primer system not increment or worse jam and it's easy to say, "oh that one went in easy", not realizing that no primer went in. I have gotten a bit more sensitive to the feel of the primer pushing in now.

      And also, I have had an occasional primer that was not pushed in far enough, mostly in crimped brass. I have since gone to using non-crimped brass on my 223.

      Because of all the above, I check every round when I take them out of the bin and make sure each has a proper primer in them. I rub my finger over the primer to feel if it's seated properly or not.

      Originally posted by jericho89
      I have loaded over 100000 rounds on a 650 and not had primer go in the wrong way.
      All I can say is you are a much better reloader on the 650 than I am, the worst being when no primer gets inserted as that usually creates a mess on the shell holder and more so in the bullet bin. Most all of my problems have been due to crimped brass, and I have since moved to non-crimped black hills brass for my 223, but currently only have 400 pieces. That's still plenty as I typically shoot about 200 per month. For my 308 I use once fired LC Match brass from the 60s. It's really good stuff.

      FWIW, I find one of those reloading trays to be an XLNT addition, because I also have boxes I keep my ammo in, but the reloading tray let's you spread it out and not have them all bunched up, much easier to work with in batches. Also easier to spray case necks with lube as well, I use it for that occasionally. I wish I had more than one, I only have a 50 piece tray. Honestly, if you don't load at least 100 pieces at a time the 650 is probably the wrong machine for you. I load about 400 - 600 per month. Currently loading 3 cartridges, 308, 223 and 45ACP.
      sigpic
      --------- liber --------

      From my cold dead end mill...

      Comment

      • #33
        Eljay
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 4985

        The 100 round case gauges are definitely a good way to check your ammo. I haven't had any flipped primers that weren't flipped to start (like the time I used the large primer hole on the vibraprime to load small primers - wow it went fast, what a genius I am. Luckily I didn't do too many before testing). But you'll definitely get primers that didn't go in quite right. At this point (10K rounds in) I can almost always feel that it didn't set right, check it, and throw the brass into a bag to deal with later. Still, occasionally a weird one slips through.

        Comment

        • #34
          jericho89
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2011
          • 1129

          I guess I should have stated that no matter what your experience level and how good or comfortable you are with your equipment you should always double check your primers. And as stated no primer just gets the loading deck fouled with powder.

          As for those who are having primers flip when you are dumping from pickup tube to the machine make sure you do not have any space between he two when you pull the pin. I also put the black following rod down the pickup tube to make sure all the primers are out. And if you have primers flipping or turning sideways in the primer disk your machine is not adjusted right. You should look into fine tuning your setup. On 45 with LPP and a good day I could get almost 1000 rounds per hour. But when you go that fast expect to smash a finger every now and then.

          Comment

          • #35
            Toolbox X
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2005
            • 2602

            Originally posted by jericho89
            As for those who are having primers flip when you are dumping from pickup tube to the machine make sure you do not have any space between he two when you pull the pin. I also put the black following rod down the pickup tube to make sure all the primers are out. And if you have primers flipping or turning sideways in the primer disk your machine is not adjusted right. You should look into fine tuning your setup. On 45 with LPP and a good day I could get almost 1000 rounds per hour. But when you go that fast expect to smash a finger every now and then.
            Jericho, seriously, you are a reloading Jedi

            I also learned to put the black following rod into my primer pickup tube before I pull the pin to drop the primers. That helps a lot to prevent primers from flipping in the tube to magazine transfer. I used my Dremel to cut a notch in the primer alarm arm ring so I can lift the alarm arm up without pulling out the primer magazine rod.

            How do you tune or adjust the primer disk system? As my experience has increased I see fewer and fewer flipped primers, but sideways primers still happen more frequently than I would like.

            Comment

            • #36
              jericho89
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2011
              • 1129

              Two things possible here:
              1. If the primer is turning sideways before it is getting into the brass then you have too much room between the shell plate holder and the primer system. There should be no way that a primer can sit sideways and have the primer system rotate.

              2. if the primer is going into the case sideways. Sideways primers happen when the shell plate is not adjusted to the primer system. What is happening is that the primer pocket of the brass is off center to the primer and an edge of the primer starts to go into the case and presses in sideways, did that make sense on paper??? I had issues with that when I got my press used 15 years ago and Dillon sent me a few of the indexing parts and the alignment tool and all was solved. I have had a few years on this machine and although I do not claim to know everything (or anything for that matter), I have had great success with it. I can load pistol rounds almost as fast as I can empty them, rifle rounds are slower, but still produce with speed. The one thing that I had to do with the small primer following rod was add a nut to the top of it to increase its weight which increased its reliability. The LP one is fine as it is.

              Comment

              • #37
                liber
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2014
                • 1868

                Originally posted by jericho89
                Two things possible here:
                1. If the primer is turning sideways before it is getting into the brass then you have too much room between the shell plate holder and the primer system. There should be no way that a primer can sit sideways and have the primer system rotate.
                I have had one primer sideways and it was caused by forcing a primer into a crimped case that wasn't swagged properly.

                I don't know if that is what Toolbox X experienced or not, just how one got in sideways on my press.

                I have only had problems, other than a non-feed on the primer system with crimped cases. I have since moved to non-crimped cases as I just don't need the headaches.

                I definitely adjust the shell plate properly, no space, no room for error there.
                sigpic
                --------- liber --------

                From my cold dead end mill...

                Comment

                • #38
                  bruce381
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 2453

                  Probably last item that I will need is a comfy chair/stool to sit on.

                  I find standing is easier to grab stuff move around adjust etc on my 650.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Gringo Bandito
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • 1835

                    Originally posted by bruce381
                    Probably last item that I will need is a comfy chair/stool to sit on.

                    I find standing is easier to grab stuff move around adjust etc on my 650.
                    I use this one and it is on sale! It swivels and you can adjust the height.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      XDJYo
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Apr 2012
                      • 7112

                      Originally posted by bruce381
                      Probably last item that I will need is a comfy chair/stool to sit on.

                      I find standing is easier to grab stuff move around adjust etc on my 650.
                      Originally posted by Gringo Bandito
                      I use this one and it is on sale! It swivels and you can adjust the height.

                      http://www.sears.com/craftsman-chrom...3&blockType=G3
                      Thanks guys. I'll probably hobble along with the stool I've got now for the time being. I'm not even sure if I will be keeping it at the current height. I may switch to using the strong mount. If so, then I may just as well be standing, then I'll need a rubber mat thingy vs a stool thingy.

                      Although a stool thingy can serve double duty when I practice guitar.

                      Happy shooting and be safe!
                      Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
                      Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
                      Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
                      M&P 15 (Mine)

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Eljay
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 4985

                        Originally posted by jericho89
                        On 45 with LPP and a good day I could get almost 1000 rounds per hour. But when you go that fast expect to smash a finger every now and then.
                        Mr. Bulletfeeder. No smashing of the fingers.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          liber
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • 1868

                          Originally posted by Eljay
                          Mr. Bulletfeeder. No smashing of the fingers.
                          After a crunch on the wallet!

                          I'd welcome one though, don't get me wrong.
                          sigpic
                          --------- liber --------

                          From my cold dead end mill...

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            jericho89
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2011
                            • 1129

                            Originally posted by Eljay
                            Mr. Bulletfeeder. No smashing of the fingers.
                            I would love one but you know how many rounds you can load with the cost of one of those things. At least I have never put a case through my finger, if I do that then I will get one (yeah closing the barn door after the horses have left).

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              JDay
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19393

                              Originally posted by jericho89
                              I would love one but you know how many rounds you can load with the cost of one of those things. At least I have never put a case through my finger, if I do that then I will get one (yeah closing the barn door after the horses have left).
                              Look at the mini Mr. Bulletfeeder. It is much more affordable.

                              Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

                              The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                Eljay
                                Veteran Member
                                • Oct 2005
                                • 4985

                                Originally posted by jericho89
                                I would love one but you know how many rounds you can load with the cost of one of those things. At least I have never put a case through my finger, if I do that then I will get one (yeah closing the barn door after the horses have left).
                                Or you could just go slower. :-)

                                It really depends on your use scenario. If you load mostly 1-2 calibers and you shoot a lot (enough to own at least a 650 in the first place) getting a bulletfeeder and maybe one caliber conversion is totally worth it.

                                If you load smaller quantities of 3-4 calibers with the cost of the conversions it would only make sense if you value your time very highly. Or your fingers!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1