Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

45acp Brass Too Tight in Shell Holder

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Big Data
    Member
    CGN Contributor
    • Aug 2015
    • 243

    45acp Brass Too Tight in Shell Holder

    When I was decapping 45acp tonight on a Lee single stage I found that about 5% of my brass was just too tight to fit into the RCBS shell holder. I could rotate the case and force it in and out, but most other cases just slide in easily. I didn't measure it but this tight brass looks to have a thicker rim than the other brass and is mostly the same headstamp. So I tossed those cases in the recycling can. This is old range brass of unknown history.

    So am I doing something wrong here or is some out of spec 45acp brass to be expected?
    =NRA Life Member=
  • #2
    jericho89
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 1129

    If it was thicker rim then it may have been a specific brand. the rim thickness should be .049 in (1.2 mm). Measure it and see if it is thicker or if you have a shell holder that is tight.

    Comment

    • #3
      'ol shooter
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2011
      • 4646

      I have had that with a few foreign brands of used brass. I save them for making key-chain ornaments.
      sigpic
      Bob B.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(")

      Comment

      • #4
        pacrat
        I need a LIFE!!
        • May 2014
        • 10285

        Originally posted by jericho89
        If it was thicker rim then it may have been a specific brand. the rim thickness should be .049 in (1.2 mm). Measure it and see if it is thicker or if you have a shell holder that is tight.
        You are likely another victim of "tolerance stacking".

        The thickness of the rim is one of 4 dimensions that can be binding. Which may not bind, using same cases in a different SH because of tolerance stacking.

        As well as the rim thickness "jericho" mentioned. Extractor groove diameter, groove width, and also the bevel between groove bottom and head dimension.

        If just a few cases are problematic, easiest to toss. If a significant number of cases are conflicting. I'd try different SH. They are a lot cheaper than tossing a big bunch of cases.

        You can "paint" a problem case with a black marking pen anywhere the SH contacts it. Try to put it into the SH and turn it while doing so. Any conflicting dimensions will scrape the ink off of the problem area.

        I have reworked a few SH to make them work.

        JM2c

        Comment

        • #5
          at_liberty
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2010
          • 699

          I have used both Lee and Hornady shell holders and found the Lee generally more forgiving. I have to have the Hornadys to fit the case trimmer nipple. If I had brass that wouldn't fit the Lee SH, I would probably toss it too. Resale value of 45 ACP brass is less than 10 cents, even cleaned and polished. If I didn't toss it, I would at least segregate it by head stamp and put it away for some unforeseen circumstance.

          Comment

          • #6
            idntwn2
            Member
            • Apr 2011
            • 281

            I have found too that it is a brand issue. PMC is the most notorious for hanging in the holder in my experience.

            Comment

            • #7
              fguffey
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2010
              • 1408

              I have shell holders that fit, All of my shell holders that fit are at least 30 years old. Then there are shell holders that are my favorite, my favorite shell holders do not fit, the have a deck height of .125" but the case can be raised as much as .012" off of the deck of the shell holder. When forming cases for short chambers the .012" is helpful. Most of my loose shell holders are RCBS, when it comes to loose being a good thing I have Lee shell holders that allow the case head to be raised off of the deck by .016". That means nothing to most but it allows me to shorten a case from the shoulder to the cases head. Meaning I can size cases for short chambers.

              Old shell holders that fit: If the relaoder uses discipline and starts with new cases that fit his shell holder the reloader can determine when a case head is soft and or when the case was shot with a heavy load. No one measure case head diameter but the shell holder that fits can indicate case head upset. Again, my favorite shell holder is a shell holder that only fits where it touches.

              Again: I was asked to form cases for a wildcat bench rest rifles being built. The builder had 460 belted magnum cases. 40 would not fit his #4 RCBS shell holder, he wanted me to bring 'the other #4?' so I brought a small gasket cutting ball peen hammer to drive the cases into the shell holder. The 40 cases he was trying to form had been fired with heavy loads. I offered to cut the extractor groove and use a collet in a lathe and reduce the diameter of the case ahead of the belt , the cases were in box sets of 20. He decided not to use the 40 cases that would not fit the shell holder.

              F. Guffey

              Comment

              • #8
                slayer61
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2014
                • 1402

                Originally posted by idntwn2
                I have found too that it is a brand issue. PMC is the most notorious for hanging in the holder in my experience.
                Yup, I sort out all my PMC 45 acp brass
                ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
                Paul

                Confirmed Domestic Terrorist & NRA Member


                Bobby Sands

                Comment

                • #9
                  opos
                  In Memoriam
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 1597

                  I found that with a set of Lee 45acp dies the shell holder is very loose...I recently bought a Lee turret press and when I decap and then go to reprime the case moves around enough that I have to manually "reset" the brass in the shell holder to get it aligned for the new primer to be installed..when I was loading with a single stage I didn't have the issue as I'd prime the brass in a separate step and "set" the brass each time....fortunately I have several other Lee shell holders that are a bit tighter spec and will hold the brass so I don't have to intervene..Like anything else...things vary from one to another.
                  God and the Constitution give me my rights and actions...any other input is just blabbering.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    croue
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 1255

                    happens to me occasionally. If I can't load it easily I first check for dings and dents that may be buggering up the rim. If I can't load it easily into the shell holder I toss it 45 brass is pretty common and easy to come by. No sense keeping the few that may not eject quite right or not fit my equipment nicely.

                    Same reason I sort and toss spp 45 brass. Trying to keep the supply homogeneous so i don't interrupt my reloading session with little issues like these. Kind of defeats the purpose of my 'garage time'.

                    C

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Big Data
                      Member
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Aug 2015
                      • 243

                      Originally posted by jericho89
                      If it was thicker rim then it may have been a specific brand. the rim thickness should be .049 in (1.2 mm). Measure it and see if it is thicker or if you have a shell holder that is tight.
                      Originally posted by croue
                      If I can't load it easily into the shell holder I toss it 45 brass is pretty common and easy to come by. No sense keeping the few that may not eject quite right or not fit my equipment nicely.
                      Thanks guys, great info from everyone. Turns out the tight cases mostly have a rim thickness > .049", and a few had dinged up rims. Oddly the thick rims are on "WW" headstamps (Winchester Western?) But with the small quantities involved I'm going to recycle those cases so I don't have to handle them in the future.
                      =NRA Life Member=

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Fishslayer
                        In Memoriam
                        • Jan 2010
                        • 13035

                        Originally posted by idntwn2
                        I have found too that it is a brand issue. PMC is the most notorious for hanging in the holder in my experience.
                        Originally posted by slayer61
                        Yup, I sort out all my PMC 45 acp brass
                        PMC is my favored brass for .451" plated due to it's thicker walls. I'll happily swap ya Win or Fed brass for all ya got! I've had zero issues in my Lee shell holder.
                        "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                        You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                        You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


                        Originally Posted by JackRydden224
                        I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
                        Originally posted by redcliff
                        A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          idntwn2
                          Member
                          • Apr 2011
                          • 281

                          Since we are talking about headstamp brands, do any of you know who makes the *I* headstamp

                          This brass is like cream running in the press.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            'ol shooter
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2011
                            • 4646

                            Couldn't find that one in the headstamp code database. Is that the actual headstamp?

                            sigpic
                            Bob B.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(")

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              tonyjr
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2015
                              • 1448

                              I have had a few [ well enough to check cases after the tumble ] that I set in front of TV and check for easy slide in and out .
                              I use a 5 station lee and pulling out a bad case wastes to much time .
                              I used to check , but now it is not worth knowing if bad case , hot load or just got bent from hitting wall or cement floor at range .
                              If you care , I use the handle thing that you use to resize case to hold the case holder .
                              DYI - if you are getting some stuck , also check for spilt / cracked cases . You can learn to kind of spin the case and your fingers will find spilt / cracked cases .
                              life member - CRPA and NRA
                              All ways listen - after you can say I new that

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1