Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Favorite "racegun" load to use?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • steelshootist
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 19

    Favorite "racegun" load to use?

    Hey folks!

    It's been quite a while since I have been reloading (or shooting for that matter) but the itch is back! (No "B")

    Anyway, I have an STI 2011 in .38 super and it has all the bells and whistles. My question relates to what load will run my compensator (3 port) the best but still be minor power factor? I'm using 124 grain flat point plated (X-treme) bullets and have been running mostly Bullseye powder (I know, I know, it's not the cleanest powder) but I'm willing to change powders if needed.

    So, with that admittedly limited info, can you guys/gals tell me what your favorite minor power factor (steel targets) load is with those bullets? Looking for the least recoil with enough energy to knock over 8" plates on a rack. I understand that some 'tweaking' with the springs may be needed to run the gun with new loads.

    All info is appreciated!

    Thanks!
  • #2
    mjmagee67
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 2771

    You need gas to run the comp, which is why minor and race guns normally don't go together. Find a slow powder and use lots of it.
    If you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine.

    Comment

    • #3
      MR_X
      Member
      • Jul 2013
      • 424

      If you want low recoil, it will not work the comp and it would actually do the opposite. I would suggest push them to major and use the comp. Are you using Xtreme regular or heavy plated bullets? If you are using their regular bullets, they will not withstand the velocities of 38Sup major loads. Also do a search in Google for IPSC 38 Super loads. There is a nice PDF file with all sort of loads to look at. I'm about to start working on making a 38 Super major loads. So far from my reader has, I have found HS-6, N105 and 3N38 to be popular powders for 38Sup. N105 makes major with published data. I'm planning to start with CFE Pistol based on a article I read. Everything else is off the books. I plan on using Montana Gold. Want to use a proven bullet and that I know the plating will not fall apart when pushed. Also if you don't have a chrono, get one.
      Last edited by MR_X; 10-25-2015, 3:59 AM.

      Comment

      Working...
      UA-8071174-1