Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

7.62x51 (.308) Fired Blanks uses?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CGZ
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2014
    • 992

    7.62x51 (.308) Fired Blanks uses?

    I was wondering if anyone knew of any uses for fired 7.62x51 blanks. I've converted 5.56 blanks into 300 blackout before with good results and was wondering if the same concept can be used for 7.62x51 blanks. I've gotten my hands on a few and have attempted to turn them into live ammo by cutting the excess neck off, resizing and trimming them but they do not pass my case gauge anywhere close (I'm using the Lee full size die when doing this, I've had to use RCBS's small base die to get my 300 blackouts to work properly). I've not been able to find that many answers online either so I though I'd ask here.

    Anyways thanks for any info.
  • #2
    Citadelgrad87
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Mar 2007
    • 16977

    Off the top of my head, .44 automag was made from cut down 7.62x51 cases.....I think.
    Originally posted by tony270
    It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
    Originally posted by repubconserv
    Print it out and frame it for all I care
    Originally posted by el chivo
    I don't need to think at all..
    Originally posted by pjsig
    You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      gunboat
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2008
      • 3288

      good fodder for 250 savage --

      Comment

      • #4
        CSACANNONEER
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Dec 2006
        • 44094

        I've heard that brass for blanks can be questionable for loading live rounds with. I do not know this for a fact though. I would do a little research before I bothered trying to convert them to anything.
        NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
        California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
        Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
        Utah CCW Instructor


        Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

        sigpic
        CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

        KM6WLV

        Comment

        • #5
          jericho89
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2011
          • 1129

          I have cut them down and used them for 45acp shot shells.

          Comment

          • #6
            Citadelgrad87
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Mar 2007
            • 16977

            .243 is necked down .308...
            Originally posted by tony270
            It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
            Originally posted by repubconserv
            Print it out and frame it for all I care
            Originally posted by el chivo
            I don't need to think at all..
            Originally posted by pjsig
            You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              fguffey
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2010
              • 1408

              they do not pass my case gauge anywhere close
              I have no ideal what that means.

              Many reloaders have purchased 8mm57 Mauser ammo that was formed from 30/06 surplus blanks. When the cases were formed artifacts from the parent case could be seen on the neck of the formed cases. Many 30/06 cases were used to load blanks, some had a single notch cut into the rim of the case. I have never seen a case for the 308 W or 30/06 that was manufactured for the use of blanks or crimps. If there was a blank designation there would be a difference in the head stamps. I have purchased belts of blanks that used mixed head stamps including 'MATCH'.

              F. Guffey

              Comment

              • #8
                CSACANNONEER
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Dec 2006
                • 44094

                Originally posted by fguffey
                I have no ideal what that means.

                Many reloaders have purchased 8mm57 Mauser ammo that was formed from 30/06 surplus blanks. When the cases were formed artifacts from the parent case could be seen on the neck of the formed cases. Many 30/06 cases were used to load blanks, some had a single notch cut into the rim of the case. I have never seen a case for the 308 W or 30/06 that was manufactured for the use of blanks or crimps. If there was a blank designation there would be a difference in the head stamps. I have purchased belts of blanks that used mixed head stamps including 'MATCH'.

                F. Guffey
                Really? I have only seen .308 crimped and .308 plastic blanks. I have yet to see a mil surplus .308 blank in a standard .308 cartridge.
                NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                Utah CCW Instructor


                Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                sigpic
                CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                KM6WLV

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1