Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1873 Trapdoor .45-70 HELP Please

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JC Smith
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • May 2006
    • 306

    1873 Trapdoor .45-70 HELP Please

    I have two antique .45-70s, a beat up Winchester Hotchkiss and a very nice Trapdoor Springfield. Only problem is the Hotchkiss shoots great and the Trapdoor keyholes with storebought classic 405 gr. lead bullets. I suspect an oversize bore is the problem but I don't have bullet casting equipment or even a slug of lead. Is there anyone casting oversize bullets for these old guns? I've been reloading since 1968 but I don't want to get into bullet casting at this point. Don't have room for it even if I did. Thanks - JC
    NRA Benefactor & CRPA Life Member

  • #2
    JC Smith
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • May 2006
    • 306

    Thanks for the suggestions. The bore looks good and I have cleaned it well. Rifling isn't pristine but it's not bad and looks better than the Hotchkiss. I'll see what the folks at Trapdoors have to say. Thanks again - JC
    NRA Benefactor & CRPA Life Member

    Comment

    • #3
      'ol shooter
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2011
      • 4646

      Are you sure it's not a .50 cal? Trapdoors Galore shows .50's from 1865 to 1870, but you might have a re-barreled .45 in .50. Better make sure. If it turns out it's just a barrel issue, check with Trapdoors Galore for a replacement.

      sigpic
      Bob B.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(")

      Comment

      • #4
        Fordtrucks
        Member
        • May 2008
        • 410

        U don't need to cast to slug the bore. Just use a fishing sinker of the appropriate size from the Walmart shelf and then u at least know what ur bore size is.

        I'm sure Oregan Trail or someone has oversized or can sell oversized boolits.

        Comment

        • #5
          pacrat
          I need a LIFE!!
          • May 2014
          • 10285

          Chunk of paper towel a few inches down bore from muzzle. 50 cent tin coffee cup from thrift store. Melt lead outside on BBQ or camp stove. Pour lead in muzzle. Throw cup away. You have now slugged your bore.

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1