Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

30-06 brass strange crimp

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • baih777
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Jul 2011
    • 5680

    30-06 brass strange crimp

    I was given a few hundred old 30-06 cases from a friend. half the cases have a heavy groove around the neck. is this from a crimp or were these cases used for something else.



    thanks
    guys
    Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
    I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
    I'm Back.
  • #2
    'ol shooter
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 4646

    Might have been a wooden bullet training round.
    sigpic
    Bob B.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Comment

    • #3
      Carsgunsandchics
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • 3537

      Blanks with an overpowder card vs heavy crimp.
      Originally posted by fighterpilot562
      I am more of a sucker than a blower...

      Comment

      • #4
        Divernhunter
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2010
        • 8753

        ^^^^ WE have a winner. Blanks. So may try to use them. I just toss them. I have plenty of 30-06 brass
        A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
        NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
        SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

        Comment

        • #5
          baih777
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Jul 2011
          • 5680

          Thanks guys. Just needed one person to say toss them.
          Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
          I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
          I'm Back.

          Comment

          • #6
            FLIGHT762
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • 3072

            Yes, they are M-1909 blanks. I've shot a lot of these blanks of the years. From what I've read about these blanks, it was reported the arsenals used cases that didn't pass inspection for live ammo and were used for M-1909 blanks.

            I cannot verify if this is a fact, but I wouldn't take the chance since 30/06 brass is available.

            Comment

            • #7
              jericho89
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2011
              • 1129

              Man wish you were closer, I take 30-06 and convert them to 45 acp snake shot... I would not use them for rifle rounds get rid of them...

              Comment

              • #8
                Michael in California
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2012
                • 690

                Explain this 30-06 to 45 conversion. I'm curious. Do you need extra length to crimp over to hold the shot?

                Comment

                • #9
                  emptybottle151
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2010
                  • 1503

                  Originally posted by Michael in California
                  Explain this 30-06 to 45 conversion. I'm curious. Do you need extra length to crimp over to hold the shot?
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    jericho89
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2011
                    • 1129

                    Originally posted by Michael in California
                    Explain this 30-06 to 45 conversion. I'm curious. Do you need extra length to crimp over to hold the shot?

                    Yes, I have used 308 and 30-06 the 308 was much harder to work with. You need the extra length to hold the shot and then you card/crimp the end. I make it for a revolver, but if you do it right you can make it work in a semi... but not all loads will cycle the slide

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      fatfreadiescat
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2011
                      • 669

                      taged

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1