Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Anyone Load 30-40 Krag?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 5hundo
    Banned
    • Jun 2008
    • 2210

    Anyone Load 30-40 Krag?

    I just got my Herters dies in the mail and I am ready to start loading up some Krag Ammo.

    What's a good, accurate load for the 30-40? Any ideas?
  • #2
    Moonclip
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • 4390

    I have not even shot my Krag yet due to price and scarcity of the ammo!
    .22short .22lr .22mag .25acp .32acp .32H&Rmag,.35rem .30carbine
    7.62x25Tok 7.62x38r .380acp .38S&W .38spl 9x18Mak 9mmPara .35rem
    9mmLargo .38super .357mag .40S&W 10mm .41mag .44spl .44mag
    .45acp .45LC 6.5Carcano 7.7Japanese 7.62x54r 6.5Swede,6.5x54r
    .30-40Krag 7.5French 8x57Mauser .223Rem 7.62x39 .410bore .30-30
    20ga 12ga .303British 8x56r 7.5x55Swiss .30-06...

    Comment

    • #3
      gunboat
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2008
      • 3288

      I only use cast boolits -- 311291, 175gr 24g 4198, 30 to 31gr Ball-c -- 311316 110gr FN 32g Ball-c, 311359 110g pointed, 12gr unique, 32gr ball-c- --- I use these in both carbine, original length rifle, and sporters --

      Comment

      • #4
        stevenjay1
        Member
        • Feb 2008
        • 136

        Herters Dies? They must be antiques! Anyway, any reloading book will have load data for the 30-40 Krag. Steve
        sigpic
        Just another homesick Texan that shouldn't of left in the first place!
        NRA Life Member
        CRPA Member

        Comment

        • #5
          CSACANNONEER
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Dec 2006
          • 44094

          You can't just use someone else's best load and think it will be the best load for your barrel. You need to start at the recommended starting load and work up from there until your groups get smaller and then start to open up again. This is the ONLY way you will be able to get the right load for your exact gun.
          NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
          California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
          Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
          Utah CCW Instructor


          Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

          sigpic
          CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

          KM6WLV

          Comment

          • #6
            5hundo
            Banned
            • Jun 2008
            • 2210

            Originally posted by Moonclip
            I have not even shot my Krag yet due to price and scarcity of the ammo!
            Midway is your friend!



            I had to buy some factory ammo because I had no brass to reload. However, I will say that when I shot my Krag a few weeks ago (for the first time) I liked the Winchester ammo better than the Remington stuff. It seemed to shoot tighter groups but it's currently unavailable on Midway...

            Originally posted by stevenjay1
            Herters Dies? They must be antiques! Anyway, any reloading book will have load data for the 30-40 Krag. Steve
            Guilty as charged...

            Ebay... $15

            Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
            You can't just use someone else's best load and think it will be the best load for your barrel. You need to start at the recommended starting load and work up from there until your groups get smaller and then start to open up again. This is the ONLY way you will be able to get the right load for your exact gun.
            I agree 100%... You are absolutely correct and if I was shooting .308, I wouldn't be asking because I know what works (and what doesn't) in my M77. However, what I have found through the years (with my limited experience) is that it's always better to ask for counsel from individuals that are more wise than myself...

            In my entire life, I have shot about 30-40 total rounds of 30-40 Krag. I bought 60 rnds and went to the range with my brother. He shot about half...

            So, I have no shame in calling myself "ignorant" to the details of reloading 30-40 Krag. I was just checking to see what some of the more experienced shooters seem to be using so I can feed off of their knowledge but your point is well taken...

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1