Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Which bench

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • shooterfpga
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 2761

    Which bench



    Home depot bench



    Harbor freight bench


    Seems more people are using the more expensive hf bench. I like that it has a vice to be able to make a fixture that clamps to it to hold the press.

    May get one of these inline fab mounts to raise it up and use the drawers on the right side




    Keep in mind nothing can be permanently affixed and i dont have power tools nor am i gonna spend for some. Otherwise id build the nrma bench but smaller.
    U.S. Army Combat Engineer

    Originally posted by Cactuscooler
    I have Paramilitary training
  • #2
    prod39
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 954

    I have two Dillon 550s mounted on my HF bench, albeit, a little cramped at times. The drawers are a perfect plus for parts and pieces to the presses.
    One drawer holds the primers and flipper tray along with the primer tubes.

    I feel the HF bench is the best set-up.
    JB

    Comment

    • #3
      shooterfpga
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2009
      • 2761

      Originally posted by prod39
      I have two Dillon 550s mounted on my HF bench, albeit, a little cramped at times. The drawers are a perfect plus for parts and pieces to the presses.
      One drawer holds the primers and flipper tray along with the primer tubes.

      I feel the HF bench is the best set-up.
      JB
      I definately like the drawer feature and i saw someone pin the two left drawers to make them deeper. Im definately going to do that.



      I also seen this and will probably do the same.
      U.S. Army Combat Engineer

      Originally posted by Cactuscooler
      I have Paramilitary training

      Comment

      • #4
        shooterfpga
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2009
        • 2761

        Well after a long uneventful day i found out my local HF doesnt stock those and my HD has 6 of their style benches. After looking at em in person they seem flimsy but im not sure if thats because most of them were damaged from being used as a cutting board/storage.

        I was going to use the simpson strong tie kit but finally settled on a kit called the "2x4basics"

        The reason for using a kit is because of how well they secure and align the frame since i dont trust myself making a secure bench without a cheater joist/elbow whatever bracket.

        My HD and lowes have limited lumber stock as well so now im browsing their sites and seeing what they actually stock. Prime candidate for a top right now is a 32"x80" solid core door 1.75" thick.
        U.S. Army Combat Engineer

        Originally posted by Cactuscooler
        I have Paramilitary training

        Comment

        • #5
          kengotit
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2012
          • 938

          i made one for about $10 using 2x4s
          Keep Calm and Carry On

          Check out the BAY AREA sub-forum
          http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=304

          Comment

          • #6
            Capybara
            CGSSA Coordinator
            CGN Contributor
            • Feb 2012
            • 15666

            Square footage wins out for me, but I have a separate old fashioned steel 27 drawer cabinet right opposite of my bench to hold all kinds of tools and components. The HF is to small for me with two presses, tumbler, case prep center, etc. I also have a 72" wide pegboard behind where the HD bench will go to hold tools, turret heads w dies, etc.

            Plus the HD costs less than half of the HF bench.
            NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              shooterfpga
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2009
              • 2761



              Ended up building this today.

              2pc stacked ) 32"x65" birch plywood 3/4"

              2 lower shelves from same material

              Left over dunnage for an overhead shelf to mount a light.

              Cost about the same as the harbor freight bench but this thing is way more stable and thick.
              U.S. Army Combat Engineer

              Originally posted by Cactuscooler
              I have Paramilitary training

              Comment

              • #8
                8mmFMJ
                Calguns Addict
                • Aug 2011
                • 7405

                I have a welding bench with 2 1940s vices. The hopper is attached to a 2x4, and the press is attached to my hitch mount. Both are clamped down and sit at the perfect height.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Wrangler John
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 1799

                  My recommendation is to purchase a wooden picnic table with a built-in bench. That way you can load at one end, slide down the bench and scarf a plate of Bush's Boston Baked Beans. quaff a frosty mug of home brew, and slide back to loading. Be sure to get a split bench made from two boards with a space between them, that way you can blow thunderous methane eruptions out through the crack without disturbing your scale or dislodging powder kernels.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    shooterfpga
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 2761

                    Originally posted by Wrangler John
                    My recommendation is to purchase a wooden picnic table with a built-in bench. That way you can load at one end, slide down the bench and scarf a plate of Bush's Boston Baked Beans. quaff a frosty mug of home brew, and slide back to loading. Be sure to get a split bench made from two boards with a space between them, that way you can blow thunderous methane eruptions out through the crack without disturbing your scale or dislodging powder kernels.
                    I like that idea. Its already built though
                    U.S. Army Combat Engineer

                    Originally posted by Cactuscooler
                    I have Paramilitary training

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      uechikid
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2012
                      • 1409

                      If I had a dedicated space for reloading I use the Harbor Freight bench. Unfortunately, my workbench is use for everything a do it yourselfer would need a workbench for. I have something similar to the Home Depot bench that I inclosed and added a galvanized heave gauge sheet metal top. It killed me to drill holes in it to mount my press.
                      "Carpe Diem"

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1