Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Want to Reload but need some help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Divernhunter
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2010
    • 8753

    Your location would help as someone near you might help you out.

    I have done so for quite a number of people just starting into reloading.
    A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
    NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
    SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

    Comment

    • #17
      Enfield47
      Calguns Addict
      • Sep 2012
      • 6385

      If you are able to, take a reloading class from one of the clubs here on Calguns. The information you will gain from hands on experience can't be beat. The best part is you get to try out several different presses to see what you or don't like about each type. If you aren't near one of the club locations, find someone with reloading experience to help mentor you.

      For your first press I recommend the Lee Classic Cast Turret press. You can use it as a single stage or in full indexing mode. It is also strong enough to reload large rifle rounds in single stage mode (I reload up to .30-06). The turret will make reloading pistol rounds a breeze and changing calibers is as easy as removing the turret head and replacing it with another. You can have each caliber dies set up on their own turret heads.

      Comment

      • #18
        ___M|9||___
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2013
        • 1507

        get some bookS and start reading even if you dont like to, it might save your life one day, attend a reloading class , watch some videos on youtube, ask members like myself, read the stickies and use the search on top of the page it really helps out. your location would also help out. Goodluck!

        single stage
        turret
        progressive
        and if you want more add a posness kit to it!

        Comment

        • #19
          Pauliedad
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Dec 2012
          • 2095

          Reloading is a great hobby all by its self. Bonus is the satisfaction that you're making your own ammo and won't be subject to market conditions like the last panic. This assumes you stock up on components. Shopping for components can be a hobby. Graf and Sons is a good resource.
          The reloading clinic is a great idea. You tube has countless videos of reloading set ups. That helped me decide much before I bought gear. I ended up starting with Dillon 650xl so the learning curve was steep but I was happy pretty quick. Lyman book was a good start for me. Having more books is better.
          Don't even think this will save you money for a loooooong time. It's fun although.
          Good luck

          Comment

          • #20
            dingos
            Senior Member
            • May 2013
            • 1095

            Lots of great advice here. Here's a little bit, hope this helps. In my experience, quality ammo comes from good dies, not necessarily the press. Brass prep is just as important as a consistent powder charge. Take your time. Slow is smooth. Buy a good reloading manual and read up on the steps in reloading, and the caliber you'll be reloading. That will give you an idea on tools/ presses that will fit your needs. I have found the ammosmith on you tube to be an excellent resource.

            Comment

            • #21
              reckoner
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2011
              • 721

              Yet another vote here for the Lee Classic Turret. I think it's the best of all worlds for the beginner reloader. You can run it as a single stage as you learn, and then turn on auto-index as you get more comfortable with the process. Also, caliber changes are incredibly cheap, easy, and fast. And it doesn't spill spent primers all over the place.

              In auto-index mode, it will load 100-125 rounds per hour. Given that, you can estimate how many hours a month you'd spend reloading based on how much you shoot.

              When I first started reloading, the LCT was perfect for my needs. However, as I started shooting more and more 9mm (1500-2000k a month), I had to step up to a progressive, since there just weren't enough hours in the week to reload what I needed. However, I still use the LCT to load my low-volume calibers, and I also use it to work up new loads for all calibers.

              Comment

              • #22
                bohoki
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2006
                • 20826

                i started with a lee loader for my 30 carbine after the first 100 i bought dies and a press it was too much

                Comment

                • #23
                  boomer135
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • 580

                  there is a multitude of equipment out there...I started with a Dillon 650 progressive press, due to needing mass quantities of ammo. I just recently bought a single stage Redding big boss II for match grade ammo. Some folks will tell you to start single stage, but you don't have to depending on your needs. If you start with a progressive press start reloading slower than the speed of the press until you get used to it. Where are you located maybe I can help you out.

                  After you read a few manuals and the Book ABC's of reloading. Ask yourself a few questions.

                  What caliber? (start with a low pressure semi auto pistol caliber 9mm or 45)

                  How much ammo do you want to reload (do you want to stock up thousands, or just a couple hundred at a run)

                  Whats your budget?


                  also to let you know I reload 1,000 rnds of 9mm 115gn for $110.00


                  Basic things you need are:

                  -Reloading press
                  -Tumbler
                  -calipers
                  -dies, shellplate,
                  -scale
                  -Reloading manual
                  Last edited by boomer135; 02-20-2015, 10:35 AM.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Lobo07
                    Junior Member
                    • Feb 2015
                    • 7

                    I'm in fresno, and looking mainly to get into competitive shooting. My friend does that, and he says he needs about 200 rounds per day at each event. I have a 9mm that i want to use for competition, But I also have a 308 rifle, and a .223 thats in a build stage. My brother also has some 9mm, M1 carbine, a .223 etc. I don't know if there are any reloading classes around here. but if anyone out there knows about one, im in. And as some of the guys mentioned, and if anyone around my area can mentor me on the art of reloading.. I will appreciate the help and advice.

                    I appreciate all the advice, Ive been watching alot of videos and different reloading presses, more than I expected.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      TomReloaded
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2013
                      • 1637

                      Call local stores for primers and powder. If you can, buy those local and save the fees. Hazmat is 25 bucks for powder and primers.

                      Dont get stuck on one powder. Try lots of stuff. Powder can be hard to get, so get whatever is on the shelf that works in your calibers. Powder for pistols is honestly all pretty similar once you hit the range.

                      Take the time to really understand what youre doing and how it affects the ammo youre making. A deeper understanding is the differrence between safe and dangerous!

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        sl0re10
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 7242

                        Originally posted by Atlast357
                        As a new member of the reload clan myself , I also highly recommend
                        finding a class put on by other reloaders.

                        Then read and start with basic equipment. Take one step at a time....don't
                        go out and buy a whole kit of stuff, unless you have a lot of bucks to dump.
                        You will soon fiqure out what equipment to really fit your needs and abilities.
                        Good luck.Welcome.
                        +1; so you don't get hurt too...

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          9mmepiphany
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 8075

                          Originally posted by reckoner
                          Yet another vote here for the Lee Classic Turret. I think it's the best of all worlds for the beginner reloader. You can run it as a single stage as you learn, and then turn on auto-index as you get more comfortable with the process. Also, caliber changes are incredibly cheap, easy, and fast. And it doesn't spill spent primers all over the place.

                          In auto-index mode, it will load 100-125 rounds per hour. Given that, you can estimate how many hours a month you'd spend reloading based on how much you shoot.
                          Those are the reasons that I started with a Hornady LNL AP...besides getting a great deal on one.

                          1. you can run it as a Single Stage...just install one die
                          2. you can run it as a Turret...just insert one case
                          3. it will easily turn out 300-500 rounds an hour...without a case or bullet feeder
                          ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Meety Peety
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2008
                            • 3216

                            On the subject of choosing a press, I would highly recommend you go out and try as many of them as you can. This can be achieved by networking with other reloaders in your area and/or attending classes. The reason I say this is because when I first started looking at presses, I was pretty much sold on the buy once cry once method of getting a Dillon 550B. I have no problem figuring things out and I really think I could have learned on a progressive. However, I learned shortly after I actually started reloading that I actually prefer the single stage method of reloading. In fact, my turret press spends most of it's days with the indexing rod on my reloading bench. Of course I have the ability to pump rounds out much faster if I so choose to, and there are days I wake up and decide to just spit out 150-300 rounds or so and then hop in the Jeep and go shooting.. but when I'm just sitting down to enjoy the hobby of reloading, I tend to prefer single stage. Weird I know, and I was pretty surprised myself when I came to this realization.

                            When I bought my press, I basically put together my own package on Amazon consisting of a LCT with all of it's designated extra's (Safety prime, auto disk etc) with an RCBS scale. Since then I have seemed to steadily gravitate to RCBS for most other things. I am a big fan of Lee's safety prime system and I have no trouble with it at all. I have a mix of Dillon, RCBS and Lee dies, and much prefer the RCBS dies. I only really use my auto disk when pumping out mass amounts of 45 and either trickle or use a Uniflow for everything else. My advice is to start buying slowly and/or get as much experience with different equipment as you can before you make a purchase. You will naturally find your sweet spot on equipment after spending a little time in the hobby.

                            As for places to buy, I use Xtreme bullets pretty exclusively for pistol. Pretty happy with them and the only cheaper option I have found is casting my own. I get good accuracy out of them with the right loads. I tried their 223s and hated how inconsistent they were. Might have just been a bad batch (Gunshop sample bag) but I don't really see a point in finding out as there are cheaper options out there for plinkers.

                            Don't discount buying things right here in the Ammo and Reloading forum either. I have found most of my powders here for pretty good deals as well as good deals on just about every component. In my experience, posting a WTB ad goes a long way and I also check frequently for deals. When buying in smaller quantities buying local is always a great option as you avoid the hazmat fees entirely. I have found that a lot of guys buy a ton of powder when it's in stock to mitigate the hazmat fees, then turn around and sell what they don't need here to recoup some of that money spent. Try as I might, I have yet to find a place that will sell me a single pound of powder for $25 flat, whether it be a local shop or an online vendor. So for me, this is the cheapest option most of the time. On top of it, every once in a while you get a nice guy that gives you a good deal on something like 8# of 231 for $150 (Thanks TKM) or 5k SRPs for $100 (Thanks SD_Shooter). Something you will never find online or in a retail shop.

                            Other advice, buy as many manuals as you can get your hands on. Load data varies greatly and no one manual has anywhere near the full spectrum. I almost always consult several books before starting a brand new load.
                            Last edited by Meety Peety; 02-20-2015, 12:24 PM.
                            "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              JTROKS
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Nov 2007
                              • 13093

                              There's a RCBS RS5 kit on the ads for a good price. All you need is tumbler and trimmer.
                              The wise man said just find your place
                              In the eye of the storm
                              Seek the roses along the way
                              Just beware of the thorns...
                              K. Meine

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Lobo07
                                Junior Member
                                • Feb 2015
                                • 7

                                wow!!

                                the options are endless.... lol

                                Manual first... I knew i didn't know much.. but didn't know how much I didn't know!!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1