Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Old 9mm ammo question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • b1gdave32
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 554

    Old 9mm ammo question

    My uncle gave me bout half a box of some old 9mm ammo he had for bout 20 years, question is should I shoot it? Take em down with a bullet puller n reload em? What to do with the old primer? Head stamp says s&w 9mm. Case n bullet no longer shiny n they look old.
  • #2
    Carsgunsandchics
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 3537

    If they are factory loads ,run them. Home loads, pull'em down.
    Originally posted by fighterpilot562
    I am more of a sucker than a blower...

    Comment

    • #3
      tonelar
      Dinosaur
      • Mar 2008
      • 6081

      How strong is your 9mm?

      I'd run anything through a vector carbine.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        71MUSTY
        Calguns Addict
        • Mar 2014
        • 7029

        I've shot 60, 70 and even 100 year old ammo
        Only slaves don't need guns

        Originally posted by epilepticninja
        Americans vs. Democrats
        We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross


        We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.


        What doesn't kill me, better run

        Comment

        • #5
          pacrat
          I need a LIFE!!
          • May 2014
          • 10285

          Factory ammo................shoot it

          Reloads.........................tear down

          old primer question.................if you tear down, sacrifice a few and fire the powder/bulletless case with primer only in your pistol. If they go bang, simply charge and reseat bullets.

          JM2c

          Comment

          • #6
            ElDub1950
            Calguns Addict
            • Aug 2012
            • 5688

            Originally posted by Carsgunsandchics
            If they are factory loads ,run them. Home loads, pull'em down.
            this

            Comment

            • #7
              RogueSniper
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2008
              • 3749

              Old rounds might have a lower velocity. Just check that you don't end up with a squib in your barrel. The old 9mm rounds I've shot (Peters brand) ended up being pretty weak but still cycled the slide.
              I'm not having a glass of wine, I'm having SIX. It's called a tasting and it's classy.

              Active Junky / Dvor
              TARGET SPORT USA Prime Ammo referral - PM me

              Stuff for sale:
              Packer Stock (folding 10/22 stock)
              Beretta Silver Pigeon SL2 Shotgun (Pump)
              Kenwood Receiver

              Comment

              • #8
                Twystd1
                Superfluous
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Oct 2009
                • 2692

                Just like all the fellas above:

                If factory loads.
                Run em like you stole em.

                If unsure... PULL THEM.!!!

                -T

                Comment

                • #9
                  Lead Waster
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 16650

                  Hand loads would be fine if you trusted the original loader. If they were YOUR hand loads and you kept them for 20 years, no problem.

                  Ammo components don't seem to go bad or degrade if there aren't exposed to anything like WD-40 or whatever.
                  ==================

                  sigpic


                  Remember to dial 1 before 911.

                  Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

                  There. Are. Four. Lights!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Carcassonne
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2012
                    • 4897

                    I have some ammo I bought in 1986. It still shoots good. I have also shot military ammo form the 1950s.

                    If it is reloads and you trust the person who loaded it, then shoot it out of a gun that you don't mind losing. If the lead is white and fuzzy, don't shoot it.

                    I have shot some FN surplus military 5.56 that looked like it sat at the bottom of the ocean for a few weeks, and had green and brown fuzzies all over the brass. It worked.


                    .
                    Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

                    In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

                    I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1