Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

iCloud Alternative

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Doheny
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Sep 2008
    • 13820

    iCloud Alternative

    I'm looking for an alternative to iCloud. I just got a warning that my free allocated amount was close to getting full and I could buy more (go figure.)

    What are some alternatives to iCloud that my wife and I can use for backup? She travels to go see her grandchild and takes a lot of pics while there, so plugging in to our desktop is not an option when she's gone.

    We're all Apple (phones, iPads and desktop) so switching platforms isn't an option at this time.

    Is anyone familiar with My Cloud or similar devices? Can they used by more than one person, etc….

    FWIW we do use DropBox, but our free allocated amounts there are getting full too.

    Thx.
    Sent from Free America
  • #2
    the86d
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2011
    • 9587

    I don't trust my data on anyone-else's HDDs myself, especially Apple's, but if you have the option to swap a microSD card to another that would be beneficial, but I don't know if you can do that on the newer iPhones like you can with phones that take "industry standard" cards and cables.

    Android is ONE of many alternatives to using a super-proprietary device, and NOT locked into over-priced-hard-wired storage (unless the new iPhones allow for cards now?). You can always have her take a notebook computer... with iTunes on it?

    You can always just suck-it-up and pay the Apple upgrade-fee/rape-fee/volentary-tax for one month of extended storage?

    Comment

    • #3
      ocabj
      Calguns Addict
      • Oct 2005
      • 7924

      It sounds like you're referring to backing up data from iOS devices. From that respect, the My Cloud device is an option.

      Outside of that you'll have to start manually clearing older photos from iOS devices so they aren't getting backed up to iCloud, or just shell out for more space.

      Personally, I've never backed up my photos to iCloud. I manually backup my iPhone to my home workstation and my iPad goes to iCloud (but I rarely ever use the camera on that thing). I clear the oldest photos from my iPhone on a semi-annual basis or what not. All my serious photos are on my dSLR, so I have multiple cards when traveling.

      Distinguished Rifleman #1924
      NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
      NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

      https://www.ocabj.net

      Comment

      Working...
      UA-8071174-1