You might not. Do test at the Comcast speed site if that is your provider to make sure it is 50 megs. Don't use the speed test site outside their network.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Looking for DOCSIS Modem Recommendation
Collapse
X
-
It's better to use an external site instead of just testing the speeds on Comcast's internal network. The internal network runs faster than your actual Internet connection.
Sent from my SGH-T999 using TapatalkOppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison
The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)Comment
-
I tried speedtest.net and the comcast speed test. If you ping a server only a few miles away you see the high speeds (>35 Mbps). If you ping a server half way across the country is drops down to under 5 Mbps.
When I say I don't see any difference in speed between the old ATT 3 Mbps DSL and my new 50 Mbps I am referring to a 'seat of the pants' unscientific user perspective. For example, all of the old slow websites are still slow - ebay, hotmail.Comment
-
I bought a Motorola SB6141 for around $100 since I didn't feel like paying TWC's $20 /month rental fee. Works perfectly and pairs well with my Asus Router.Dear ISIS, Texas is not known for their gun free zones.

Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.Comment
-
what are you doing about home email? i've been tempted to make the switch, but i have a lot of user accounts at various sites that are registered to my AT&T DSL account (which i've had so long that the domain is actually sbcglobal.net)..Comment
-
Confused about the statement the internal network runs faster than your actual Internet connection.
The only thing the ISP can guarantee is the speed of their network. I have done comprehensive speed tests and find that companies say your speeds are slow so you will buy their service. Like if you test to 2wire they want you to buy DSL and so on. Try to download a 100 meg game patch or ftp something to see how your speed seems. If it still seems slow there might be something else going on.sigpicComment
-
I just did this dance with Comcast... they are very picky about what modems are used on their network. I ended up with a Motorola Surfboard DOCSIS 3.0 model for this client...
Check with a local electronics store, they should steer you in the right direction if they are located in a Comcast area!"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas JeffersonPolitics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho MarxComment
-
This!
BH is great and you can't beat the 6141. A recommended modem for Time Warner.
Comment
-
That's partially true but only because Arris acquired that division of Motorola. Unless there is confirmation that product support is dead, it would be hard to believe Arris has abandoned a product they actively provide to OEMs (black version) and market to consumers (white retail version).Last edited by eLeL; 03-10-2014, 11:38 PM.Comment
-
Agreed.You cannot go wrong with the Motorola SB6121.
I have a buddy who is a Comcast field tech and he says to stay away from the Arris devices. He is constantly having to replace them.
He was saying test to a server outside their network to see what your speed is realistically.Confused about the statement the internal network runs faster than your actual Internet connection.
The only thing the ISP can guarantee is the speed of their network. I have done comprehensive speed tests and find that companies say your speeds are slow so you will buy their service. Like if you test to 2wire they want you to buy DSL and so on. Try to download a 100 meg game patch or ftp something to see how your speed seems. If it still seems slow there might be something else going on.
Also, the people who said Arris modems were probably referring to the TM series telephony modems which are utter crap. They also have problems with certain types of traffic behind them, such as a third party voip provider. I was the technical support manager for one of the largest voip providers in the country and I can't tell you how many times problems were fixed by moving over to a standalone modem such as a SBxxxx. Almost every time it fixed other problems too.
Also, Jason, I would be really surprised to see IPv6 deployed en mass in the next 10 years. They've been saying it's going to come around for years but still only something like 2% of all IPs are IPv6. And consumers getting 100mbps speeds in the near future is a pipe dream too. That type of connection being affordable is far out for consumers. This video was from RIPE... 6 years ago...
"I like to think there are three measures of a man: How much steak he can eat in one sitting, how full his mustache is and how quickly he can whittle a spear in the event of the apocalypse." - Ron Swanson
Originally posted by Champ KindI believe if Jesus owned a sidearm he wouldn't have been crucified.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,783
Posts: 25,151,613
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,815
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 13046 users online. 127 members and 12919 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment