Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

OpenDNS Blocking Calguns

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MaHoTex
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2010
    • 5002

    OpenDNS Blocking Calguns

    I am not sure, but I think OpenDNS is blocking CalGuns. I have one of those Verizon Wireless MiFi devices that I switched from the standard DNS server to OpenDNS and it worked fine for a week or so. This morning I come to CalGUns and it says the site is "Blocked due to Guns/Weapons/Violence". So, I switch to another Verizon Wireless device using the standard DNS that is set by default and BAM here I am. Something is strange I tell you. Guess I will find another DNS provider.
    NRA Life Member

    sigpic

    Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

    "If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards
  • #2
    ke6guj
    Moderator
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Nov 2003
    • 23725

    I usually use 8.8.8.8 or 4.2.2.2 when I need an non-ISP DNS server.
    Jack



    Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

    No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

    Comment

    • #3
      MaHoTex
      Calguns Addict
      • Jul 2010
      • 5002

      Yeah, google DNS at 8.8.8.8 is pretty good. I may just switch it over. I think the 4.2.2.2 is a Verizon DNS which is exactly the one I am trying to get away form. It seems to be slow and causing me some problems, though I am still not 100% certain that is my issue.

      As for the OpenDNS site blocking, the strange thing is I switched back to the other MiFi device, flushed my DNS cache and it is working fine now.
      NRA Life Member

      sigpic

      Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

      "If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards

      Comment

      • #4
        diveRN
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2012
        • 1743

        Doesn't OpenDNS give you options for filtering, assuming you've set up an account? I want to say that "weapons/violence" blocking is checked by default and that you can set them up to not filter that stuff out.

        Dunno about using it without an account.

        Comment

        • #5
          MaHoTex
          Calguns Addict
          • Jul 2010
          • 5002

          Yes for the premium stuff they do, but I am not using an account just the generic DNS resolver. It should not be filtered. Maybe they had the new guy running the server room this morning.
          NRA Life Member

          sigpic

          Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

          "If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards

          Comment

          • #6
            Cowboy T
            Calguns Addict
            • Mar 2010
            • 5725

            The (formerly UUNET, now Verizon) DNS server of 198.6.1.2 also works.
            "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
            F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
            http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
            http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
            http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
            ----------------------------------------------------
            To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

            Comment

            • #7
              Jason95357
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2013
              • 1130

              Originally posted by MaHoTex
              Yes for the premium stuff they do, but I am not using an account just the generic DNS resolver. It should not be filtered. Maybe they had the new guy running the server room this morning.
              OpenDNS filtering works on knowing who has an IP address. You're using a IP from a dynamic pool that someone before you told OpenDNS was their current IP. Since that time, they went offline and haven't told OpenDNS any newer IP. Then you were assigned this IP and OpenDNS thinks you are the last person who contacted them about it and giving you the same filtering preferences.

              I suggest you sign up for OpenDNS's free filtering service. Then you can update them each time you get a new IP and they'll know to use your filtering preferences and not the last person who had that IP. There is client software to do this for you and their site has more info.

              Just turn on their malware/botnet/security protection if nothing else.

              Alternatively, do as others said and use Google's DNS at 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 without filtering.
              LTCs: CA, OR, AZ, UT, FL, NV
              GOA & NRA Member

              Comment

              • #8
                MaHoTex
                Calguns Addict
                • Jul 2010
                • 5002

                Thanks for the info Jason. I did not think of it the way you just explained it. Certainly does make sense.
                NRA Life Member

                sigpic

                Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

                "If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1