Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Updates to Windows 10?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • toro1
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2013
    • 1572

    Updates to Windows 10?

    In the past I have refused updating my Windows 10 to windows 11, but now I'm getting messages on 10 that I have to install an update of some sort. I have seen no required updates for over a year and am wondering if they are now forcing an update to 11. Does anyone know if they are doing that or is there something else going on? If they are forcing a Windows 11 update I will be dropping Windows.
  • #2
    Kokopelli
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2008
    • 3444

    It looks like more Microsoft Edge bloatware to me.
    If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. - Ronald Reagan

    Comment

    • #3
      remusrm
      Member
      • Jan 2013
      • 438

      Originally posted by toro1
      In the past I have refused updating my Windows 10 to windows 11, but now I'm getting messages on 10 that I have to install an update of some sort. I have seen no required updates for over a year and am wondering if they are now forcing an update to 11. Does anyone know if they are doing that or is there something else going on? If they are forcing a Windows 11 update I will be dropping Windows.
      these days not updating will invite hackers into your computer, its a damn if you do and damn if you don't.

      Comment

      • #4
        benjos
        Junior Member
        • Feb 2024
        • 20

        Windows 10 reached its end of support on October 14, 2025, meaning it no longer receives updates or security patches from Microsoft. Not having recent updates is high risk even for just being one month behind. Yes, Microsoft will push Windows 11 if your hardware supports it.

        My recommendation is to drop Windows and switch to a different OS.

        Comment

        • #5
          Preston-CLB
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2018
          • 4295

          Toro1 wrote: I'm getting messages on 10 that I have to install an update of some sort.
          Go to Settings>Update and Security>Windows Update.

          There should be a list of updates with a KB (Knowledge Base) number. You can easily Google that KB Number to find out what the update is. it will then be up to you whether or not you want to install it. Note that Cumulative Updates install automatically, unless you previously stopped them (not a good idea).

          Toro1, as benjos mentioned, you should update Win 10 if possible. See link below...

          Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 10 on 14 October 2025, but offers Extended Security Updates (ESU) until 12 October 2027 for devices running Windows 10 version 22H2.
          Use Windows 10 securely with the Extended Security Updates program. See how it helps protect your PC and find out how to get it.

          -P
          ? "If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you are satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper."

          Comment

          • #6
            ojisan
            Agent 86
            CGN Contributor
            • Apr 2008
            • 11781

            I'm Win 10, I signed on for the Extended Security.
            I'm getting regular anti virus and anti malware updates.
            Edge and some features appear updated too.
            My impression is that as much as MS wants everyone to go to 11, so many are keeping 10 that it's better to keep 10 running.


            Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
            I don't really care, I just like to argue.

            Comment

            • #7
              arrix
              Veteran Member
              • May 2012
              • 4572

              Win 10 was spyware, Win 11 is literally big brother.
              There is no week nor day nor hour, when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their supreme confidence in themselves -- and lose their roughness and spirit of defiance -- Tyranny may always enter -- there is no charm, no bar against it -- the only bar against it is a large resolute breed of men.

              -Walt Whitman

              Comment

              • #8
                toro1
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2013
                • 1572

                Thanks all for the input. While I realize everyone has had the mantra of you have to update or you will die, in the last 35 years I have never willingly done an update and have only had 1 virus issue in that time. However, when I am forced to do updates, most of the time I need to spend a couple of hours getting my computer back to the way I want it. Of course I am not a power user like the rest of you and only visit a couple forums and technical sites so my exposure is limited. When I have to get a new computer, I will be going to an alternative system, but plan to keep my Lenovo on 10 as long as it cooperates.
                Again, thanks all for the input and remember to backup monthly or more often.

                Comment

                • #9
                  remusrm
                  Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 438

                  Originally posted by toro1
                  Thanks all for the input. While I realize everyone has had the mantra of you have to update or you will die, in the last 35 years I have never willingly done an update and have only had 1 virus issue in that time. However, when I am forced to do updates, most of the time I need to spend a couple of hours getting my computer back to the way I want it. Of course I am not a power user like the rest of you and only visit a couple forums and technical sites so my exposure is limited. When I have to get a new computer, I will be going to an alternative system, but plan to keep my Lenovo on 10 as long as it cooperates.
                  Again, thanks all for the input and remember to backup monthly or more often.
                  why wait for a new computer, when you can just download any linux distro and install it on yours?

                  What i find it ironic is that most that complain about privacy, big government and such but would not "vote with their money" and move away. Win 10 was spyware, Win 11 is literally big brother is correct statement and frankly is just a matter of time of getting compromised, you data taken.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1