Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Time to build a new desktop, could use some suggestions for CPU/Mobo

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Synergy
    I need a LIFE!!
    • May 2008
    • 14303

    Time to build a new desktop, could use some suggestions for CPU/Mobo

    I need a desktop, tired of working off a laptop or docked on my desk. I could use some suggestions and guidance since it has been quite a few years since I built a tower and tech has changed. It will be used for internet browsing like CGN , photochop and eventually some video editing. Might use it as a media server. Not a huge gamer. Bottom line is price and most performance for my dollar. Not looking to build a $4k liquid cooled, neon lit gaming machine.

    All my previous machines have ran AMDs, I like AMD, though not against Intel. From the research I have found the 4 core Intel Core i7 performs better than the 6 core AMD Phenom II X6's. The 6 core Intel like the Core i7-980X is way out of my range. Looking for a CPU in the under $300 range. Thoughts or suggestions? I am not afraid to overclock my CPU, is it worth it with the newer CPUs?

    p.s. Just found out about the AMD FX bulldozer... Should I wait for it?

    Now on to the MoBo... So many variables, a lot depends on the CPU I go with. What are some of the good Mfg's out there. My last was a MSI and it has had zero problems. Any brands I should avoid?

    So where are the best prices? Sites? Fry's? I am in the Bay Area.
    Last edited by Synergy; 07-19-2011, 2:49 PM.
    sigpic
  • #2
    Nose Nuggets
    Calguns Addict
    • Apr 2008
    • 6801

    for basic home use i would recommend a Dell. building is more expensive, and is geared towards performance rigs. with the dell, the whole thing is warrantied.

    if you are intent on doing it yourself, i would highly recomend you look at the mobo/cpu combos on NewEgg.com


    "It is to secure our rights that we resort to government at all." -Thomas Jefferson

    Comment

    • #3
      JDay
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Nov 2008
      • 19393

      Originally posted by Nose Nuggets
      with the dell, the whole thing is warrantied.
      Every part you purchase comes with a warranty, often for 3 years. Dell also has a habit of sending back machines without repairing them. I would go with any of the Sandy Bridge processors and an ASUS or MSI motherboard. Get one of the processors that ends in a K if you want to overclock, Sandy Bridge CPUs can overclock quite a bit on just air.
      Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

      The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

      Comment

      • #4
        KaHuNaZ
        Member
        • Oct 2009
        • 473

        Originally posted by Synergy

        p.s. Just found out about the AMD FX bulldozer... Should I wait for it?

        Now on to the MoBo... So many variables, a lot depends on the CPU I go with. What are some of the good Mfg's out there. My last was a MSI and it has had zero problems. Any brands I should avoid?

        So where are the best prices? Sites? Fry's? I am in the Bay Area.
        I also like to use AMD. I just built an Amd system and Im quite happy with its performance. Phenom II X6 1100T, 8gb ram, Asus crosshair IV mobo, Ocz vertex 2 ssd. Its an extreme upgrade from my last pc that recently died (over 5yrs old) and I actually paid less for it this time around. Ram is extremely cheap these days. If you really want to wait for the bulldozer, you can get a backward compatible board and just upgrade to the bulldozer later. The bulldozer keeps getting pushed back and who knows when it will really be available. You can save money by shopping online, (newegg, amazon) but the last time I was in the Fremont Fry's, they were passing out flyers stating they will match online prices.

        Comment

        • #5
          MaHoTex
          Calguns Addict
          • Jul 2010
          • 5002

          Originally posted by Synergy
          So where are the best prices? Sites? Fry's? I am in the Bay Area.
          Newegg.com is the only way to purchase computer hardware.
          NRA Life Member

          sigpic

          Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

          "If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards

          Comment

          • #6
            sepiid
            Member
            • Feb 2009
            • 353

            In the bay bay area my self. frys is the only way to go. if a component is bad you just take it back for an exchange/refund. plus instant gratification and all.

            Comment

            • #7
              NorCal Einstein
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2010
              • 1242

              I give my business to MicroCenter before Frys. At least at the Santa Clara store, employees can help you pick out all the components for your system, and they have a fairly good selection of components to pick from. Yes the parts are a little more expensive than NewEgg, but if instant gratification is what you're looking for...MicroCenter is better. I've never managed a trip to Frys without my blood pressure spiking 30 points due to some form of incompetence.

              And on top of that, MicroCenter always runs aggressive deals on CPU + Mobo combos. Some of the combos they have, I believe they actually lose money on...hoping that you buy the other components there as well.

              Comment

              • #8
                JDay
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Nov 2008
                • 19393

                Originally posted by KaHuNaZ
                I also like to use AMD. I just built an Amd system and Im quite happy with its performance. Phenom II X6 1100T, 8gb ram, Asus crosshair IV mobo, Ocz vertex 2 ssd.
                You could have gone with a i5-2500k setup for the same price and had much more performance. AMD is not currently the best bang for the buck. The i5-2500k hold up well against the top of the line i7 CPUs in most tasks, in some cases beating the high-end i7 CPUs.

                We've run thousands of CPU benchmarks on all new and older Intel and AMD CPUs and ranked them.


                Originally posted by MaHoTex
                Newegg.com is the only way to purchase computer hardware.
                NCIX has some pretty good prices too.



                Originally posted by NorCal Einstein
                And on top of that, MicroCenter always runs aggressive deals on CPU + Mobo combos. Some of the combos they have, I believe they actually lose money on...hoping that you buy the other components there as well.
                You gotta love loss leaders.
                Last edited by JDay; 07-20-2011, 11:49 AM.
                Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

                The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

                Comment

                • #9
                  Synergy
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • May 2008
                  • 14303

                  Originally posted by Nose Nuggets
                  for basic home use i would recommend a Dell. building is more expensive, and is geared towards performance rigs. with the dell, the whole thing is warrantied.

                  if you are intent on doing it yourself, i would highly recomend you look at the mobo/cpu combos on NewEgg.com
                  If I wanted a Dell I would have posted asking for help picking a Dell! I would never own a Dell again! On top of that I will never buy a complete name brand system again.

                  Originally posted by JDay
                  Every part you purchase comes with a warranty, often for 3 years. Dell also has a habit of sending back machines without repairing them. I would go with any of the Sandy Bridge processors and an ASUS or MSI motherboard. Get one of the processors that ends in a K if you want to overclock, Sandy Bridge CPUs can overclock quite a bit on just air.
                  For the first time I was looking at the Intels and the Core i7 processors, they are better performing on paper against the current 6 core AMDs. With my my preference to AMD I am curious about the AMD FX series "bulldozer". So I will most likely end up with a AM3+ socket to be compatible with the new CPU. The Bulldozer is stated to be on par and beat the Sandy Bridge and even compete with the new Ivy Bridge.

                  Originally posted by KaHuNaZ
                  I also like to use AMD. I just built an Amd system and Im quite happy with its performance. Phenom II X6 1100T, 8gb ram, Asus crosshair IV mobo, Ocz vertex 2 ssd. Its an extreme upgrade from my last pc that recently died (over 5yrs old) and I actually paid less for it this time around. Ram is extremely cheap these days. If you really want to wait for the bulldozer, you can get a backward compatible board and just upgrade to the bulldozer later. The bulldozer keeps getting pushed back and who knows when it will really be available. You can save money by shopping online, (newegg, amazon) but the last time I was in the Fremont Fry's, they were passing out flyers stating they will match online prices.
                  I am looking at the ASUS Sabertooth, one model below your Crosshair. I am comparing the Sabertooth to the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5. Both in the same price range and similar specs.


                  Originally posted by NorCal Einstein
                  I give my business to MicroCenter before Frys. At least at the Santa Clara store, employees can help you pick out all the components for your system, and they have a fairly good selection of components to pick from. Yes the parts are a little more expensive than NewEgg, but if instant gratification is what you're looking for...MicroCenter is better. I've never managed a trip to Frys without my blood pressure spiking 30 points due to some form of incompetence.

                  And on top of that, MicroCenter always runs aggressive deals on CPU + Mobo combos. Some of the combos they have, I believe they actually lose money on...hoping that you buy the other components there as well.
                  I will check out MicroCenter, thanks.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    JDay
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 19393

                    Originally posted by Synergy
                    For the first time I was looking at the Intels and the Core i7 processors, they are better performing on paper against the current 6 core AMDs.
                    The i7 processors beat the Phenom II x6 at almost everything in real world tasks. AMD holds the price/performance lead when it comes to gaming.

                    With my my preference to AMD I am curious about the AMD FX series "bulldozer". So I will most likely end up with a AM3+ socket to be compatible with the new CPU. The Bulldozer is stated to be on par and beat the Sandy Bridge and even compete with the new Ivy Bridge.
                    Wait until they are released in the next couple of months, everything right now is pure speculation. The only Bulldozer CPUs that have been benchmarked so far are engineering samples, and the results are not consistent and for the most part haven't even matched Sandy Bridge. If you're looking to buy now your best bet is a second generation Core i5/i7 as they currently offer the best real world performance at the best price point. I would also go with a motherboard that uses the Q67 chipset if you go with Sandy Bridge, as this chipset allows you to use all the features of the CPU.
                    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

                    The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      NorCal Einstein
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2010
                      • 1242

                      Originally posted by JDay
                      You gotta love loss leaders.
                      Yup! I'm a horrible MicroCenter customer. I've bought like (6) Intel Core i7 920/930 processors from there for $180-$200 each. I walk in and that's all I buy. All the other components get picked up online... hahah

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        resident-shooter
                        Banned
                        • Sep 2009
                        • 2777

                        If you are not big on games, I would in all honesty suggest saving a few dollars and go with a mid-range CPU like Phenom II x4 or Intel i5. Asus, Gigabyte make decent motherboards, pick one with USB3 support for future. For video editing, you will want a good video card. A $50 case will give you all the cooling you need with a couple of extra fans. I think you could make it under $600

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Synergy
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • May 2008
                          • 14303

                          Originally posted by resident-shooter
                          If you are not big on games, I would in all honesty suggest saving a few dollars and go with a mid-range CPU like Phenom II x4 or Intel i5. Asus, Gigabyte make decent motherboards, pick one with USB3 support for future. For video editing, you will want a good video card. A $50 case will give you all the cooling you need with a couple of extra fans. I think you could make it under $600
                          Looking at going with a AM3+, stick with my AMD. Kinda like 1911 vs Glock...I am 1911 guy! Don't expect a need for SLI, since I am not a gamer. Unless you guys would know of a benefit for SLI for non gaming. Looking at the GeForce GTX 560 Ti. Now thanks to the SSD thread I want to set up a SSD and raid... Thanks alot
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            jonzer77
                            • Jul 2010
                            • 8525

                            I have always been a AMD guy as well. I have a Phenom XII 965@3.4 with 4Gb of ram that I build last year and it works for anything I do. The last thing I want to add is a SSD but gun stuff always takes my money away
                            Originally posted by barrage
                            That's because Excelsior threads are like toilet bowls. They're made for crapping in and occasionally pissing on the side of.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              resident-shooter
                              Banned
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 2777

                              Originally posted by Synergy
                              Looking at going with a AM3+, stick with my AMD. Kinda like 1911 vs Glock...I am 1911 guy! Don't expect a need for SLI, since I am not a gamer. Unless you guys would know of a benefit for SLI for non gaming. Looking at the GeForce GTX 560 Ti. Now thanks to the SSD thread I want to set up a SSD and raid... Thanks alot
                              hehe you are welcome, but keep in mind.... my dual hard drive RAID came at 194 mbs average speed. Most SSD's today will do around 250 mbs while having 32 times less space and costing 2-3 times more. Pick an SSD that hauls at 350+ mbs if you want a quickly loading PC.

                              560ti is more than sufficient for 99.8% of modern games, so for other applications it will pass in flying colors

                              Oh and I am running AMD processor and card with no regrets or complaints.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1