Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

anybody work for Uverse

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kermit315
    Calguns Addict
    • Sep 2007
    • 5931

    anybody work for Uverse

    Hey guys,

    got a new uverse router today. Now my wifes Vista laptop wont connect to the internet. It was working before, but now nothing. When I get it connected, it says "local access only" and it says that it is a public network. I cant get it to switch to private network, and cant get to the internet.

    Any ideas?

    Jamie
  • #2
    xrMike
    Calguns Addict
    • Feb 2006
    • 7841

    Do you have a bundled Uverse package (like TV + landline) along with Internet? Or just Internet? If bundled, are those other services working?

    I have a bundled package that went out last night. Called 'em up (800-288-2020) and a nice Filipina lady fixed me right up.

    All it took was disconnecting the power cord to the Uverse router, waiting 10 seconds, plugging it back in, and waiting until the Broadband light was solid green again (about 2 minutes from Power ON). Everything worked perfect after that, although I had to disconnect/reconnect power to the TV set-top boxes for each TV too.
    Last edited by xrMike; 01-25-2011, 4:20 PM.

    Comment

    • #3
      socalblue
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2010
      • 811

      This is a well known Vista issue. Delete both the old & new networks & disable wireless. Reboot the laptop. After it comes up, re-enable wireless. It will find the network & think it's new, resulting in asking you if it public pr private trusted, etc.

      If you were able to change it to private you SHOULD be able to make it trusted now. It's always a crap shoot with Vista.

      Best bet is to upgrade to Win 7. You can do an in-place from Vista, though be sure (As always) to get a good backup).

      Comment

      • #4
        kermit315
        Calguns Addict
        • Sep 2007
        • 5931

        Yes its wireless. Yes, its part of the bundle. We called them out because of pixelation and lockups on the tv, mismatch of the voice with the lip movement, and complete freezes. they looked at the lines and said we had been having line problems.

        Guy came in today while I was at work, replaced a splitter in the attic, a coax connection on the ground level, and replaced the router. My desktop is back up wirelessly, but her laptop wont go.

        I will try what socalblue suggested and let you know if it worked. I would love to upgrade it to Win 7, but its not in the budget right now.

        BTW: the tv still doesnt seem to be working right.

        Comment

        • #5
          TURBOELKY
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2009
          • 1930

          Originally posted by socalblue
          This is a well known Vista issue. Delete both the old & new networks & disable wireless. Reboot the laptop. After it comes up, re-enable wireless. It will find the network & think it's new, resulting in asking you if it public pr private trusted, etc.

          If you were able to change it to private you SHOULD be able to make it trusted now. It's always a crap shoot with Vista.

          Best bet is to upgrade to Win 7. You can do an in-place from Vista, though be sure (As always) to get a good backup).

          Also, U-Verse is still a new service and very finicky. Although part of their system is new, they are still using existing twisted pair from their b-box (i think they call them b box) Good luck getting it resolved.
          sigpic
          TURBOELKY

          Comment

          • #6
            kermit315
            Calguns Addict
            • Sep 2007
            • 5931

            I have had them for over a year with no major problems. I think this new router is crap though.

            Comment

            • #7
              kermit315
              Calguns Addict
              • Sep 2007
              • 5931

              by the way, under network connections, it wont let me delete the wireless one.....delete is greyed out. any suggestions?

              Comment

              • #8
                kermit315
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2007
                • 5931

                Originally posted by socalblue
                This is a well known Vista issue. Delete both the old & new networks & disable wireless. Reboot the laptop. After it comes up, re-enable wireless. It will find the network & think it's new, resulting in asking you if it public pr private trusted, etc.

                If you were able to change it to private you SHOULD be able to make it trusted now. It's always a crap shoot with Vista.

                Best bet is to upgrade to Win 7. You can do an in-place from Vista, though be sure (As always) to get a good backup).
                didnt work. I did the above step by step. after I reenabled the connection, and told it to connect to my network, it asked for my key, but it never asked what kind of network it was on, etc. It just says that it has connected to the router, but does not have access to the internet.

                Comment

                • #9
                  cfm117
                  Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 487

                  Try releasing and renewing IP address in command prompt on the laptop. Also one time my wireless dumped and no devices would connect after a firmware upgrade. Cust service said they would need to have uverse router replaced and it was a known issue. I just threw on a Linksys router and put Uverse router in DMZ mode and no problems since. If you want some direct help, go to dslreports.com and post in the AT&T Uverse forum. They also have the Direct forum you can post in to talk with official tech support.

                  Did a speed test after upgrading speed to 12Mbps package. I think the door got left open. I dont think its an error because im getting same results on speakeasy
                  Last edited by cfm117; 01-27-2011, 12:00 AM.


                  "Every gun makes it's own tune." - Blondie

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    xrMike
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 7841

                    Not to beat a dead horse, but have you tried UVerse customer support? (800-288-2020)

                    That's what they're there for. I've used them 2x over the last year, and they are surprisingly good for offshore tech support.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      kermit315
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Sep 2007
                      • 5931

                      Ok.

                      release and renew didnt work. The problem was traced back to the new RG. First we had to change the encryption routine to WEP. Then, we had to disconnect both the Win7 and XP computers. We fought to get the Vista computer up and running, then added the Win7 and XP computers back.

                      I still dont have the functionality that I had before, and wish I could get one of the old style RG's back, but its working.

                      Thanks for the help guys.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Whiterook
                        Member
                        • Jun 2007
                        • 118

                        Log into your Rg, Just type (home) in the address line, or 192.168.1.254 Down on the lower left side of the 2 wire screen click (wireless) . When the wireless setting screen appears , at the top of the screen there will be two vertical index's the second one from the top is the one you want. It says something about the security, and it will be enabled CHANGE it and disable it. Now scroll to the bottom of the screen and save, you will need the system password from the side of the RG to save the settings, It that dose not work, go back into the RG wireless settings and change the name and password of your wireless network.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Whiterook
                          Member
                          • Jun 2007
                          • 118


                          I still dont have the functionality that I had before, and wish I could get one of the old style RG's back, but its working.
                          What did you have before that you dont now? There pretty much the same router, the only real difference is the new looks a lot better and it has dual processors, it runs the same maliki software as the older silver beast.
                          Last edited by Whiterook; 01-27-2011, 8:35 PM.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            kermit315
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Sep 2007
                            • 5931

                            Originally posted by Whiterook
                            What did you have before that you dont now? There pretty much the same router, the only real difference is the new looks a lot better and it has dual processors, it runs the same maliki software as the older silver beast.
                            I had the silver one that let all my computers connect without having to do a bunch of crap. This new one isnt winning me over.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              JDay
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19393

                              Originally posted by kermit315
                              I had the silver one that let all my computers connect without having to do a bunch of crap. This new one isnt winning me over.
                              The router is not the problem, it is your misconfigured computers. Fix your systems and the problem will vanish into thin air. If I had to guess I would say that you named the new access point the same as the old one, this is causing a MAC address conflict in your saved wireless settings since you have two access points saved with the same name that have different MAC addresses. All you need to do is delete the old saved access point out of the list in Windows and connect. Read the article below and you will have this done in under a minute.

                              Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

                              The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1