Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

24dbi 2.4ghz omni directional ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • stormy_clothing
    Banned
    • Dec 2008
    • 2809

    24dbi 2.4ghz omni directional ?

    Saw this listing on ebay and due to the fact I can only get charter which crashes all the time while right across the street several super high speed fios wifi signals are freely available I thought this might make a great back-up

    any opinions ?



    2.4GHz 24dBi N female Wireless Omni Antenna base station repeater

    Qty: 60pcs available,

    Electrical Specifications
    Frequency Range - MHz 2300~2500
    Polarization Vertical
    Gain - dBi 24
    Bandwidth - MHz 83
    Input Impedance - Ω 50
    VSWR ≤1.5
    Maximum Input Power - W 100
    Connector Type N Female
    Mechanical Specifications
    Mounting Mast Diameter - mm Φ30~50mm
  • #2
    JDay
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2008
    • 19393

    Accessing a network without permission is against the law. Why not just order FiOS?
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

    The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

    Comment

    • #3
      TSD!
      Member
      • Feb 2008
      • 163

      Most Omni antennas are 0-6dbi gain, so either a misprint or error somewhere.

      Comment

      • #4
        6172crew
        Moderator Emeritus
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2005
        • 6240

        Originally posted by JDay
        Accessing a network without permission is against the law. Why not just order FiOS?
        Not calling BS but could you point me to the law? Im a IT student and we talk alot about that stuff and I would have thought I would have heard about it.
        sigpic
        HMM-161 Westpac 1994

        Comment

        • #5
          ke6guj
          Moderator
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Nov 2003
          • 23725

          Originally posted by 6172crew
          Not calling BS but could you point me to the law? Im a IT student and we talk alot about that stuff and I would have thought I would have heard about it.
          here, read this thread, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=229758
          Jack



          Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

          No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

          Comment

          • #6
            JDay
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Nov 2008
            • 19393

            Originally posted by 6172crew
            Not calling BS but could you point me to the law? Im a IT student and we talk alot about that stuff and I would have thought I would have heard about it.
            Here's the federal laws.



            ETA: It is theft of service. Here's the relevant CA PC, it's a felony.

            California state laws including the Business and Profession Code, Civil Code, Code of Civil Procedure, Commercial Code, Corporations Code, Education Code, Evidence Code, Family Code, Fish and Game Code, Health and Safety Code, Insurance Code, Labor Code, Penal Code, Probate Code, Revenue and Taxation Code and Vehicle Code.
            Last edited by JDay; 12-16-2009, 7:27 PM.
            Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

            The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

            Comment

            • #7
              QuarterBoreGunner
              Administrator
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Oct 2005
              • 9389

              24dBi on an omni? How tall is this sucker?
              /Chris

              I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

              You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
              Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
              Like who?
              Farmers.
              Who else?
              Farmers' mums.

              Comment

              • #8
                Cokebottle
                Seņor Member
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Oct 2009
                • 32373

                Originally posted by TSD!
                Most Omni antennas are 0-6dbi gain, so either a misprint or error somewhere.
                Or more likely, a lie.

                They may be including the gain in the repeater amplifier to get the 24dbi number.
                - Rich

                Originally posted by dantodd
                A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                Comment

                • #9
                  stormy_clothing
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 2809

                  Originally posted by JDay
                  Accessing a network without permission is against the law. Why not just order FiOS?
                  because laws against monopoly's apparently don't apply to cable companies as they have effectively blocked all other services baring satellite with their no compete contracts for my neighborhood.

                  There are 3 open off network wifi signals - for customers of a coffee shop with att accounts which I am and have - customers of a local center which our business is in, and our business itself also another shopping center which is a pilot program for open wifi like DT Fontana has.

                  Also I was told but could not confirm that our neighborhoods wifi signal runs directly off a verizon t1 line under contract from charter different from our other access points which is specifically open to residents.

                  My intention is not to steal but to supplement when it's critical, like say an emergency

                  Originally posted by QuarterBoreGunner
                  24dBi on an omni? How tall is this sucker?
                  90 cm and its coming from Hk so I'm not sure of it's legality of use either, however there are omnis from cisco who I'm sure doesnt bs over 14dbi omni - obviously these would work better directional and at these levels likely well over 30mi LOS but this for backup only, and if I can hack it for one hell of a good cell service coverage which can be sub par
                  Last edited by stormy_clothing; 12-16-2009, 9:59 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Cokebottle
                    Seņor Member
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 32373

                    In an emergency, the first one to drop is going to be the Starbucks and probably the business park... very unlikely to have a battery backup on those.

                    Does Starbucks leave their WiFi router running when they're closed?
                    - Rich

                    Originally posted by dantodd
                    A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      stormy_clothing
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 2809

                      I guess I should clarify but charter has had numerous loss of service especially during summer months while fios and att are pretty stable if the lights go out I don't need to get you tube at that time - starbucks leaves there connection on 24/7 as people stay long after close I never likely to use it there as the non customers whore it out and take all the seats, I only get 2 free hours a day but that would be enough if something big happened like a UFO landing lol and charter was overloaded.
                      Last edited by stormy_clothing; 12-16-2009, 10:04 PM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Cokebottle
                        Seņor Member
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 32373

                        Originally posted by stormy_clothing
                        I guess I should clarify but charter has had numerous loss of service especially during summer months while fios and att are pretty stable - starbucks I leaves there connection on 24/7 as people stay long after close, I only get 2 free hours a day but that would be enough if something big happened and charter was overloaded.
                        Agreed.

                        My company gave us Verizon cellular modems for our laptops. It sucked.
                        That has always been my "last resort" backup if I couldn't find a legal open connection or if my hotel didn't provide WiFi or hardwire connections.

                        Found out about the deal on the Starbucks card and signed up for that when they were still with T-Mobile. Awesome deal, 2 hours was more than enough to check and respond to email, file my trip reports and site surveys, and even do some forum surfing
                        Haven't worked since mid June, but I still make sure I buy one drink every 30 days to keep that account active. I loaded the card up with $100 last January so I'll be good for a few years
                        - Rich

                        Originally posted by dantodd
                        A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          bigmike82
                          Bit Pusher
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Jan 2008
                          • 3876

                          Call it what you want, it's still illegal.

                          Whether you do it is, of course, up to you.

                          On to the technical side of thigns. A 24db gain antenna is quite sizeable. I'm reluctant to believe the 24db clain for an Omni...some of the indoor corner antennas I used were only about 15, and those where partly directional.

                          How expensive are they?
                          -- 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Cokebottle
                            Seņor Member
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 32373

                            Originally posted by bigmike82
                            Call it what you want, it's still illegal.
                            If his business is in a business park that offers a connection, it's legal.
                            If he has an AT&T account and can log into a Starbucks connection, it's legal whether he's in the Starbucks or across the street.
                            If it's a city-operated connection open to the residents and he simply has a weak signal at his home, it's legal.

                            All of those are secured connections that require login. If he has a valid login ID, it's legal.

                            Illegal is "squatting" a connection from a neighbor or a nearby business with an unsecured connection.
                            - Rich

                            Originally posted by dantodd
                            A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              bigmike82
                              Bit Pusher
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Jan 2008
                              • 3876

                              Fair 'nuff.

                              If you have authorized access, definitely go for it. But understand...people have been busted, and convicted, for stealing wifi.

                              Is it right? Hell no. But that's how it is...just like stupid laws about waiting periods, standard capacity magazines and features on rifles.
                              -- 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1