Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

3 Rings of death...XBOX

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sspen003
    Senior Member
    • May 2009
    • 1003

    3 Rings of death...XBOX

    So I just got 3 rings of death yesterday. I spent a few hours today trying to fix it. I tried taking it apart and re-attaching the heat sinks to the processors with that silver heat stuff..I let it overheat but it still didnt work.

    Any advice?
    "The God of War hates those who hesitate."
  • #2
    johnrunner89
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 953

    Send it in for repair. Thats what I had to do. If its just the red ring of death and you had it for less than 3 years microsoft should warranty the console free of charge.

    Comment

    • #3
      SLYoteBoy
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2007
      • 840

      Tried that myself , awesome thing is I bought it from GameStop (Arcade , listed as NIB). Go to get a warranty on it , they ask me the serial , she says its already been registerd. She said she couldnt tell me where exactly it was registered. I asked "well is it atleast in CA" she said no. Needless to say I dont buy at gamestop anymore. So I ripped it apart , removed , cleaned heatsink , put some artic silver on there. Still didnt fix it so I took the drive out , and trashed it.
      Originally posted by jumbopanda
      Are we talking taking the tip off every time or just hitting it somewhere along the shaft? The latter is not that impressive. Not saying it's easy, but I'm sure many people could do it. I could probably do it myself at least 50% of the time.

      Comment

      • #4
        wilit
        Calguns Addict
        • Dec 2005
        • 5213

        Call Microsoft. They have a 3 year warranty for free repair for the red ring of death. They repaired mine and shipped both ways for free. Can't beat that.
        "If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.
        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
        "You have to be willing to swing your nuts like a deadblow hammer to put these jackasses in their place." - AJAX22
        "The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          Turo
          Calguns Addict
          • May 2009
          • 5066

          I would have sent it in, but since you voided the warranty by opening it, they have kits you can buy that supposedly let you fix the problem. Google around to find a good one.
          "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
          -Thomas Jefferson

          Comment

          • #6
            sspen003
            Senior Member
            • May 2009
            • 1003

            I wish I could just call microsoft. This is an old XBOX 360. I got it a few months after they came out. I have gad issues with it but not like this...

            Damn this sucks, especially with CODMW2 around the corner.

            I think I just hit up ebay
            "The God of War hates those who hesitate."

            Comment

            • #7
              sspen003
              Senior Member
              • May 2009
              • 1003

              Originally posted by Turo
              I would have sent it in, but since you voided the warranty by opening it, they have kits you can buy that supposedly let you fix the problem. Google around to find a good one.
              Already tried those methods to fix it.
              "The God of War hates those who hesitate."

              Comment

              • #8
                Arteel
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2009
                • 2392

                If you are reusing the X clamps, that's your problem. You need to replace the clamps with some screws and washers. Go to the hardware store and pick up (8) 10-32x3/8 panhead screws, 8 m5 washers, and 16 m5 nylon washers.

                Remove all 8 studs that hold the clamps. Install the heatsinks on the board using the hardware you bought. Make sure you use the nylon washers on both sides of the board with the metal washer on top of the nylon washer in between the heatsink and board. Make sure you clean and apply some thermal compound on the gpu and CPU before you reinstall the heatsinks.

                Now go ahead and reheat the board for about 10-15 minutes. I usually unplug the fan after 10 minutes until two lights flash, then unplug the console. Let cool and tighten up the screws again since there should be some slack after heating up the board. It should now flash green lights.

                Sorry if I confused you. Send me a pm if you have any questions and I'll try my best to help you out.

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1